The time has come

LPDADDY

California sounds great but I'm worried about the earthquakes.

At this point I'll take earthquakes.

Just hope that a big doesn't hit like it did in San Francisco in 1906.

More than 3,000 dead

-498 deaths in San Francisco

-64 deaths in Santa Rosa

-102 deaths in and near San Jose

225,000 became homeless from a population of about 400,000

28,000 buildings destroyed

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1906 quake was a 7.9... a 7.9 although HUGE and DEVESTATING, wouldnt have the same effects today as it did back then, namely because of two things.

1. Better building codes that take earthquakes into consideration (there are very few if ANY buildings that predate the MAJOR early earthquakes in the state. They were destroyed and replaced with BETTER construction. The house I live in today was built in 1924... VERY OLD... but, it has survived a half dozen MAJOR earthquakes without damage...).

2. Most of the damage by the 1906 quake was caused by the FIRE that followed it... In california we have gas shut off valves designed to kill gas to a home in the event of a major quake... thus reducing the threat of fire... Plus, firefighting equipment (trucks and pumps) hyave come a LONG way since 1906... You dont see fires in urban areas that threaten the entire city...

Earthquakes are not a major deal for us... We get a moderate one every ten years or so, and a BIG ONE every 25... You dont know theyre coming, so you dont sit around worrying about them, and by the time you know youre in one, its half over... I know for a fact, that if the BIG one hits and the roof comes down, I'll be saying "hmmm... I think we're having an earthquake... I wonder if I should get under something heavy?" BAMMMMMMMMM

We sure as shit dont get three big ones in 3 months...

But what does ANY of this have to do with the topic of this thread?

But what does ANY of this have to do with the topic of this thread?

Its demonstrating a point.

we are very bad at staying on topic :roll:

construction is one thing, but a quake will also destroy buildings e.g. which is affected at certain "vibration-rates"... Kobe is a great example of that.. for instant the highwaybridge which colapsed

Give me a break on all the Quake doom and gloom, which is ridiculous.

Get back on topic please.

Good information, thanks.

Has LA ever received 7.9?

Yes... In 1857.

In 1992 we had a 7.3 in the dessert

anyway...back to the topic at hand. Did the powers at be decide on what they are doing? Is LP going to be another snobby exotic owners only circle, or are they actually going to let those of us working towards a future exotic mingle in the peanut gallery? p.s. if you feel any certian individual(s) is/are being stupid posting nonsense, have a section with the names listed for all to see. Keeping them accountable so they straighten up....and you put my name on this list, **ck you. :)

I'm done

anyway...back to the topic at hand. Did the powers at be decide on what they are doing? Is LP going to be another snobby exotic owners only circle, or are they actually going to let those of us working towards a future exotic mingle in the peanut gallery? p.s. if you feel any certian individual(s) is/are being stupid posting nonsense, have a section with the names listed for all to see. Keeping them accountable so they straighten up....and you put my name on this list, **ck you. :)

I'm done

Calling our owners, and mods who wish the site were more private "snobby" isn't helping the case of the younger set that some of us are defending against exorcising from the site permanently. It's feeding the resentment.

Luckily we know you, and know that your comments aren't serious. But this is an example of running off at the mouth that isn't necessary.

We'll take this matter private from here on out, thanks. Thread locked.