my first exotic coming this spring... 1993.5 lotus esprit!

shadeone

Oh ok I remember talking with you over there. How are you doing? I do miss my Lemans on nice Sunny days and I do miss the torque for sure. But the Lotus is a great car and gets much more use then the Lemans.

Shade, Great news! Hopefully everything turns out for you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. this has the potential of ending badly.... the guy selling the car said that someone that had contacted him in his area before christmas called him this morning and said hes still intersted... owner said that if the guy gives him $2000 to hold the car then thats the end of that for my end.

oh... and i also only have one week to come up with the downpayment (20% of car cost), the transport money ($800) and the additional title transfer tax money ($ alot)... if i cant get all my stuff straightened out by next week and that other guy doesnt get it either, the car is goin back on ebay...

:(

shade

well in good news... the guy who owns this car below still has it and is holding onto it for a while and said he'd sell it later on this spring when it comes out of storage. and he LIVES IN THE SAME STATE!!! (enzo, this is Ray's car, dont know if you ever met him)

bad thing though its a 1991 and i want a 1993 due to the higher wing and open back... not like i couldnt change that on this one though...

shade

Shade

Never met Ray but you might be better off buying his than another one that the club is not familar with. I mean either would be fine but it might give you a little more comfort factor knowing who had the car and who has worked on the car. I know it did with my car. And as Glen did with my car you can get some power out of these earlier models. Go for Ray's and save yourself the extra 800 in shipping since the tax will be more than that anyways. I think I paid about 1100 in sales tax alone.

I have a black on on black modded one for sale, like 45000 miles, s4s pices, 18s and 19s, nice stereo, exhaust and turbo are done, let me know if you want pics and/or info.

update! JJBest approved te loan for the lotus but now i need 20% downpayment.... tomorrow is "skip work and find money" day for me!!!

Suprassing_The_Heavens- didnt find any build sheets... my car was built in janesville wisconsin and they were one of the plants that didnt put any build sheets in cars.. that was more of the west coast plants doing that i believe...  i only posted a few times on chevytalk due to their views on lowriders and customizing. more posts on layitlow then anything...  

by the way, i work for a place that specializes in early 60's impalas so if ya need anything give me a call... we mainly have stuff for 64 and older but we might have some NOS parts for 66's like yours...  

South Side Automotive - 612-727-2404, ask for Jamie (good name huh? lol)

ill keep you guys updated on the lotus situation!!

shade

I understand perfectly on what you mean about CT, LiL is nice due to it being active, but it NEEDS moderation from the moderators.

Thanks for the offer on the parts, will def hit you up for future parts!

As far as the Lotus buy, that black one is fantastic, I think I'd trade up a 64 too!

Oh ok I remember talking with you over there.  How are you doing?  I do miss my Lemans on nice Sunny days and I do miss the torque for sure.  But the Lotus is a great car and gets much more use then the Lemans.

Shade,  Great news!   Hopefully everything turns out for you.

I'm doing better, thanks for asking.

yep thats waht i was gonna ask lurker next if he said thats the one he was selling.... that car ran through ebay a few months ago and after it didnt sell i contacted him and asked how much and he said 65k. im not gonna pay 65k for something thats been UNDERNEATH another CAR!!!!!!!

shade

LOL 65K for a early esprit, without being under another car thats funny but with a history :finga:

That Gel coat will never be the same, repaint on that car is scary because if it had cracks they will be back.

The bad thing about early cars is Cracked gel coat is very expensive to fix right and looks like hell when cracked, its easy to bondo fill and repaint but the new buyer will have a issue soon as the weather turns cold, buyer beware know what your looking at on these cars.

ok people, looks like im not gonna be getting the one that is in AZ since i cant get funding in time. anyone else want this car? its most likely gonna show up on ebay in a week or so!

anyways pictured below is the one im most likely gonna get now. this guy is willing to wait till i have the money as he does not have the "MUST SELL IMMEDIATELY" thing going and is just kinda storing the car and temprarily drives it on weekends and such.

This is the one that is within minutes from me. has about 28k miles on it. current owner is the second owner.

there is only one problem with it though... this is taken from the email i just got:

"The car currently has an intermittent problem which I

have not been able to track down which causes the

check engine light to flash and boost to be limited to

about .5ATM. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it

doesn't. When it happens the car will operate for a

few moments to minutes with limited boost, and then

the problem will dissappear."

anyone know anything about this? is it serious?

shade

Talk to Tim on that. He will get it straighten out in no time. You will be happier with Ray's car I bet. Has Tim done any work to Ray's car?

ill contact tim.. lao posting something on the LOON board

also, the car was previously owned by Larry Schauf... a

Lotus Limited club officer.

shade

yep thats waht i was gonna ask lurker next if he said thats the one he was selling.... that car ran through ebay a few months ago and after it didnt sell i contacted him and asked how much and he said 65k. im not gonna pay 65k for something thats been UNDERNEATH another CAR!!!!!!!  

shade

hahahaha!! no kidding.

the car looks sharp, but i see where your coming from.

well guys, went and looked at the 91 in my area today and decided this is DEFINATELY the car for me! this thing is awesome!!! has a few minor rock chips and stuff on the front but the rest of the thing is MINT!!! perfect tight interior, SHINY paint all around, has all sorts of the factory accessories including tool bag, hardtop and glasstop both, owners manuals, service records.... only has 25k miles on it. couldnt pull it out today cus it was winterized and stuff but ill post some pics and maybe a video from the first test drive once the warm weather gets here.... heres a couple pics for now....

Hey Guys,

Well I am a pretty hardcore Lotus fan, and not only b/c of the Esprit, but also due to Lotus history and their involvement in a plethora of high performance and exotic cars all over the world (most of which people aren't even aware of!). Most of Lotus revenues before the Elise over the past decade has actually come from their "engineering & consulting" end of the company. They even have an engineering lab for AIr Bags in the States, for which they produce for GM.

Definitely a wise choice! So long as you properly maintain a Lotus religiously, they are garanteed to give you incredible performance and unforgettable memories! I currently own a '02 Azure Blue w/Magnolia interior. I searched for specifically this year & combo for 2 years, and took 3 months to actually get the car (Long story!). As for modifying the car, I've done some hardcore research with ALL the Lotus forums and their best Lotus guys, including our local dealer mechanic and an independent Lotus trained race car mechanic to arrive at the following mods:

K&N Air Filters

Denso Iridium Spark Plugs

Limited Slip Diff

"Blueprinted" Transmission

Upgraded Wastegates

Race ECU (a.k.a. Lotus Red Race ECU)

SSBOV's (w/Recirculation hoses)

Porterfield Race Brake Pads

Hyperflow Free-flow Exhaust

E-Code headlights

Mounted Boost Gauge

Raid Daytona Steering Wheel

And then some..... :supz: :supz:

I'm not in anyway bragging, just helping to get your juiced flowing for that Esprit, and to answer the post concerning Modding the Esprits. On can talk forever on this, so I'll just quit right here.

Laterzzz,

The Iceman

NEED MORE DRIVERS IN MIAMI!!

Here's BLUE THUNDER:

BTW,

That's one sharp looking Esprit you've found there! Definitely sounds like you've done your homework as well. As for the comment on "have you driven one yet"... You definitely need to drive one and know that this is a Race car for the street. No Nonsense crap here. Aside from the Noble M12/M400 and Lotus Elise/Exige, there's nothing out there with better steering or road/handling feedback. I have some friends down here with modified Porsche Twin-Turbos, Ferrari 360's & 355's, Lambos and Vipers... they've all taken my car for a spin and agree. Granted, not all Esprits drive the same, as I said before, you gotta know what you're doing when modifying and properly maintaining these things.

Stay Focused!! You definitely need to join the "Turboesprit" list on yahoogroups.com.

Laterzzz,

The Iceman

havent driven one yet but ill let you know how my first test drive goes this spring.

also, thats one HELL of a nice blue car you got there!!!! VERY nice! if i ever get to your area youll have to let me see :)

oh and ive been lurking around turboesprit for months now just never actually typing anything. that place as well as about 4 other forums/message boards!

shade

havent driven one yet but ill let you know how my first test drive goes this spring.

also, thats one HELL of a nice blue car you got there!!!! VERY nice! if i ever get to your area youll have to let me see :)

oh and ive been lurking around turboesprit for months now just never actually typing anything. that place as well as about 4 other forums/message boards!

shade

The only gripe you may have about the 4cyl Esprit, especially since you're moving from a V8 Impala, is turbo lag. There isn't much power off boost. Once the boost hits, totally different story. :mrgreen:

dont the interchangable chips take care of that depending on what # you go with? see here: http://lotusespritworld.com/EModifications...p_reviewed.html

this cars got an upgraded chip... not sure what # though...

shade

A chip will help when off boost making lag a little less noticable. An S4s owner I know said it best when he said, "It drives like an Accord under 3500 rpms but once the turbo spools up, it's a whole different animal. It feels like you got whacked in the back of the head" while describing how his S4s drove.

Not a bad thing. Just different than a big ci. V8, but thrilling nonetheless. Now go drive one. :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

quick little update....

my grandpa just passed away and left me some inheritance money... meaning im gonna get this car a lot sooner now!! :) :)

shade