Lexus LS 460: The Germans will get hit pretty hard

OC

Yeah, stretched version available, V8, 4.6L 380 hp 370 lbs-ft or tq, 8 speed tranny, VDIM active-security system, and if I remember correctly, there will be a Mark Levinson sound system with 19 speakers. :lol: :lol:

Here are the numbers:

LS 460(standard wheelbase)

LS 460L (long wheelbase)

Wheelbase (inches)

Difference: 4.8 Inches 116.9 121.7

Overall Length (inches)

Difference: 4.8 Inches 198.0 202.8

Overall Width (inches) 73.8

Overall Height (inches) 58.1

(w/coil suspension)

Engine 4.6-liter V8

Horsepower (estimated) Approximately 380 hp

Torque (estimated) Approximately 370 lb.-ft.

Drive Wheels Rear

Suspension Front & Rear Multilink Suspension

(5 links)

0-60 MPH Acceleration (mfr. results) Under 5.5 seconds

Fuel Economy* (city/highway) Combined fuel economy in the

Mid-20-mpg range

Emissions Rating** ULEV II

Full story here: http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article...view/7494/1/10/

775-300x300.jpg

01_2007_ls460l1.jpg

03_2007_ls460l.jpg

24_2007_ls4601.jpg

-Olivier

love it. I think they have always been tough competitors with superior quality, but now that they are doing long wheelbase etc; it will make things really hard for the germans!

My GF Drives a 04 ES330 and for what it is I t is a great little car. I love driving it. Lexuz is much better now then they were even 5 or 6 years ago. Great cars, this is no exception

Of course I haven't driven it but judjing by previous models the Germans has nothing to worry about, at least not about the dynamic qualities of the car.

I'm sure it will be a very appealing car to those who it appeals today, i.e. people who don't like to drive as much as to get in comfort.

We talked about this car, and its details, a month ago.

As Joe said, it will be a fantastic decompression chamber that isolates you from everything on the outside world...including the road. For some that's bliss, and desired in a sedan. For fans of the German cars though, which are more involving of the driver, they'll never turn Japanese for that reason as they don't care for the detached feel.

I like it personally, if I want to be speed racer I'll drive a sportscar. If I want to relax and feel nothing in a sedan the LS is a great choice.

But as with previous LS models, the Germans have absolutely nothing to fear from Lexus. They're not perceived as a "status" brand in the States at all in that price category, it's all S-Class/7-Series.

As Joe said, it will be a fantastic decompression chamber that isolates you from everything on the outside world...including the road. For some that's bliss, and desired in a sedan. For fans of the German cars though, which are more involving of the driver, they'll never turn Japanese for that reason as they don't care for the detached feel.

I like it personally, if I want to be speed racer I'll drive a sportscar. If I want to relax and feel nothing in a sedan the LS is a great choice.

But as with previous LS models, the Germans have absolutely nothing to fear from Lexus. They're not perceived as a "status" brand in the States at all in that price category, it's all S-Class/7-Series.

I agree. I'm sure it will be a lovely thing to ride in, but Lexus styling is too bland. In Australia, the big Lexus isn't competitive with Benz/BMW/Audi etc. They are seen as a luxury Toyota.

I agree. I'm sure it will be a lovely thing to ride in, but Lexus styling is too bland. In Australia, the big Lexus isn't competitive with Benz/BMW/Audi etc. They are seen as a luxury Toyota.

<-stupid

And just look at that back :roll:

Honestly, compared to the S-class (even the new one) I'd pick the Lexus. Better quality, extremely reliable (first car ever to have less than 1000ppc) and, to be honest, I think it looks better.

I just can't wait unti they release the hybrid version. Rumors for the GS-h is around 500 hp, should not be too far from that on the LS. :) No need to mention the amazing MPG ratings and super low emissions to boot.

-Olivier

I got rid of my Merc 2004 E500 for an 06 Lexus GS and threw on some Asanti AF115 20" rims and it looks great and is in some ways better, some ways not, but overall an awesome deal for the money considering the E500 price. I love the car and the electronics and options are superior for sure. I would say the biggest deficiency in the Lexus is in brakes and handling/road feel. In terms of service, customer service, there is no comparison. Lexus crushes mercedes on that front. And I've just had 4 mercs in a row.

charliex, if you dont mind, I'd like to see some picture of that car. I really like the new style of Lexus, much more refined and yet, at the same time, muscular and mature.

The way I see it, Lexus is starting to find its own niche in a market where excellence is required. They will not take a huge market share out of BMW's customers, because they are more focused on driver feel. Mercedes-Benz has the most prestige, and Lexus lacks in that department. However, Audi does not carry an enormous prestige and they will be the biggest losers of market share with the new Lexus line-up.

All three German companies share a few things in which Lexus can gain big points compared to them: reliability and service. They all have terrible reliability, with overly complicated electronics systems that only Lexus seems to have figured out by now. And if you think their cars dont pack the technological punch that the Germans do, just go read on the new VDIM active-security system. It is amazing.

Service is also a VERY big issue. For the pricing these sedans ask, premium service should be an obvious perk, but it is not for the Germans. This is another area in which Lexus simply crushes them (Infinit is even better from the last few years' surveys, can you believe it!?).

My aunt has been driving a X5 4.4 for the last few years and even though she likes the looks and speed, I convinced her to take a spin in a new Lexus RX-400h and it's what she'll buy when she decides to change. The service was top-notch, the truck is better built, higher quality, better MPGs, and there is even a warranty on the tires! She will never have to pay for a new set of tires, as long as she owns the RX. Plus, whenever the car needs some repairs, free lowner car that will be delivered to her house, with the employee bringing the truck at the dealer, and vice-versa to get the truck back. She could not believe it. Reliability on her 4.4 has NOT been good and she is sick of the outrageous bills she gets whenever she goes in for repairs.

This is the kind of owner that the 3 German giants will lose in the next few years if they do not get their act together.

-Olivier

Yeah, stretched version available, V8, 4.6L 380 hp 370 lbs-ft or tq, 8 speed tranny, VDIM active-security system, and if I remember correctly, there will be a Mark Levinson sound system with 19 speakers.  :lol:  :lol:  

775-300x300.jpg

01_2007_ls460l1.jpg

03_2007_ls460l.jpg

24_2007_ls4601.jpg

-Olivier

I know I obsess over this stuff, but 19 speakers doesn't mean you have something nice........good luck making that thing work!

charliex, if you dont mind, I'd like to see some picture of that car. I really like the new style of Lexus, much more refined and yet, at the same time, muscular and mature.

The way I see it, Lexus is starting to find its own niche in a market where excellence is required. They will not take a huge market share out of BMW's customers, because they are more focused on driver feel. Mercedes-Benz has the most prestige, and Lexus lacks in that department. However, Audi does not carry an enormous prestige and they will be the biggest losers of market share with the new Lexus line-up.

All three German companies share a few things in which Lexus can gain big points compared to them: reliability and service. They all have terrible reliability, with overly complicated electronics systems that only Lexus seems to have figured out by now. And if you think their cars dont pack the technological punch that the Germans do, just go read on the new VDIM active-security system. It is amazing.

Service is also a VERY big issue. For the pricing these sedans ask, premium service should be an obvious perk, but it is not for the Germans. This is another area in which Lexus simply crushes them (Infinit is even better from the last few years' surveys, can you believe it!?).  

My aunt has been driving a X5 4.4 for the last few years and even though she likes the looks and speed, I convinced her to take a spin in a new Lexus RX-400h and it's what she'll buy when she decides to change. The service was top-notch, the truck is better built, higher quality, better MPGs, and there is even a warranty on the tires! She will never have to pay for a new set of tires, as long as she owns the RX. Plus, whenever the car needs some repairs, free lowner car that will be delivered to her house, with the employee bringing the truck at the dealer, and vice-versa to get the truck back. She could not believe it. Reliability on her 4.4 has NOT been good and she is sick of the outrageous bills she gets whenever she goes in for repairs.

This is the kind of owner that the 3 German giants will lose in the next few years if they do not get their act together.

-Olivier

Let's cut to the chase here. Mercedes, BMW, etc know people will buy their cars for their looks, performance, handling, status, etc. They've allowed reliability to slip quite a bit, and they place little to no priority on maintenance, service, etc.

To them, it's not that important. I remember reading an Electrical Engineering trade journal from Silicon Valley a few years ago where they did a study comparing the electrical systems of high end jap vs. german autos, and they said that the japanese were far more meticulous with how they wired cars as opposed to the germans. This isn't really a case of sophistication, but more of paying attention to details.

If you strip reliability/maintenance/etc from the equation, the Lexus is a lower prestige automobile that only offers superior comfort as its main selling point.

You never know though.....not many years ago Infiniti was being written off as an also ran, and look at them now, they legitimately compete with BMW with their G35 lineup.

Tough feat.

I have never owned a lexus, so i cant comment on the maintenenc. BMW had one of the best service departments that I have ever experienced. I blew the clutch and flyweel (almost through the transmission!) on a e46 330ci they fixed it for free. Brake rotors , brake pads, all services, headliner by the window(always falls off :roll: ) and even when i wore the leather on the steering wheel-they replaced it. FREE OF CHARGE. I honestly beat the living hell out of that car-every single day of ownership, and almost nothing broke on it. Except my clutch after 2 weeks of ownership, and something called a flexdisk(located on the driveshaft) after 2 years of ownership. I also would wait 14-15k miles to have them change the oil never had any kind of motor problems. From what I understand Mercedes has pretty much the same deal, but they dont replace brakes for free.

It seems to me if you want a semi-well performing, cheaper sedan, you would go with Lexus, if you want a road-warrior you go with the latter.

The service department of Beverly Hills BMW is superb, they will go to the third degree to make sure client is happy and the car is in top shape, especially warranty cars.

BMWs maintenance policy is a great one too, they even include free brakes and wipers replacements. I can't see how it gets any better.

Did I mentioned car loaners on the same level with your car ? (7 series loaner for my 750Li).

I am waiting to see what the new 3 series coupe and M3 will look like. One of them could possibly be my next purchase. They even took my car back after 2 years on a 3 year lease! This is without me purchasing a new car from them!

On the Lexus side. I like the front end of the new IS. A friend of mine just bout the IS350 and it is pretty nice IMO. But I am going to wait for the new BMW

• 2 weeks later...

As requested, Here's my 06 flint GS with Asanti AF-115 20" Rims and custom grills. Otherwise fully loaded and completely stock.

My 9 series BMW is great too. I'm with joe on the service

Seriously, The service is amazing. I leased this GS from Longo Lexus. They delivered the car to my house with a kid who knew everything about the car and showed me every feature. He gave me all the cards of the service people and people I should know to call at the dealer in case of any issues. He explained to me how the service works. Now this is for Longo in particular as they are the largest Lexus dealer. If I need service ( and I have tested this already), they bring a loaner Lexus, not a piece of crap, to my house by flatbed, then take away my car by flatbed and service it, all for NO CHARGE. No BS. This is what I mean by crushing the germans. And the loaner lexus is completely free as well. How can they beat that? Not that the germans try.... In addition, they gave me a free Sirius module for the stereo WITH 9 months of service included.

The car looks great Charlie. Very nice choice.

I have to concur with you. Every person I talk to only rave about Lexus' after-sale service. In this kind of price range, it is mandattory. Unfortunately, not all the company think that way.

-Olivier