Killed the fuse on my stereo

sprite

Well I valet my car at the Mall today, when I got it back the stereo was dead, drove it home and checked the fuse it was blown. I have not yet replaced it so not sure if it was a short or just an overload or random occurence. What I am thinking is that the fuse for the stock stereo may not be sufficient to power my current head unit, it is a 10A fuse, assuming it does not short out when I replace it would you guys recommend perhaps putting a 15A fuse there instead?

Moral of the story-DO NOT valet a Lamborghini. I for one dont and never plan to anyway. Just cannot trust anyone else with it other than myself and my mechanics.

Moral of the story-DO NOT valet a Lamborghini. I for one dont and never plan to anyway. Just cannot trust anyone else with it other than myself and my mechanics.

I doubt it was the valet's fault that fuse blew :)

SPRITE, valet issues aside, DO NOT try to change the rating on a fuse especially when there's a 5A difference. 5 amps can do substantial damages to a lot of electronics within the stereo and, possibly, within the car itself. Rarely, if ever, would there be insufficient current (ampere) to drive the head unit. Since you mentioned your "current head unit" and "stock stereo", I assume you have replaced the stock unit with your own. The likely scenario is a bad connection or poor splicing somewhere resulting in exposed live bare wire that either touched the chasis of the stereo and/or that of the car causing a short. Take your M back to the place where the stereo was installed and have them run a complete check on the wiring.

The 10A fuse is there for a good reason and it had done what it was suppose to do. Changing to a higher rating fuse is PLAYING WITH FIRE --- LITERALLY! Don't do it!

SPRITE, valet issues aside, DO NOT try to change the rating on a fuse especially when there's a 5A difference. 5 amps can do substantial damages to a lot of electronics within the stereo and, possibly, within the car itself. Rarely, if ever, would there be insufficient current (ampere) to drive the head unit. Since you mentioned your "current head unit" and "stock stereo", I assume you have replaced the stock unit with your own. The likely scenario is a bad connection or poor splicing somewhere resulting in exposed live bare wire that either touched the chasis of the stereo and/or that of the car causing a short. Take your M back to the place where the stereo was installed and have them run a complete check on the wiring.

The 10A fuse is there for a good reason and it had done what it was suppose to do. Changing to a higher rating fuse is PLAYING WITH FIRE --- LITERALLY! Don't do it!

Ok, I'm putting in a new 10A fuse to see if it's a problem with the wiring or if it was just a one off occurence.

Ok, I'm putting in a new 10A fuse to see if it's a problem with the wiring or if it was just a one off occurence.

Yes... Sometimes fuses blow and it doesnt mean shit.... Its only a problem if it KEEPS doing it....

DO NOT change the amperage on the fuse unless you know what youre doing...

Yeah I replaced it now and everything seems fine.

That's good to know. If you haven't done so, take it out for a drive. If possible and allowable, drive it where many turns and ups & downs are involved: i.e. select a course where things can get tossed around and flexed. Do this while the stereo is on at a normal volume. See if everything still holds. The idea is to check if there is a bad connection or bare wire intermittently touching somewhere causing a short. Good luck & hope every will be fine.

• 2 years later...
Which one is the fuse for the stereo and where is it located? I had a new battery put in and have lost power to the stereo.

The fusebox is in the passenger side footwell.

The fusebox is in the passenger side footwell.

Thanks, I can't tell which one is the specific fuse. The manual I have says 3 different things one of which points to a 15ma fuse.

Which one is the fuse for the stereo and where is it located? I had a new battery put in and have lost power to the stereo.

If you have an upgraded stereo I'll bet there's an amp power lead on the battery they didn't re-connect .

It is very normal for M to blow fuse Factory had us bump the fuse up 5 amps. It is ok and I would recomend to add the 15 amp fuse. We have done it on prob 100 cars or more when the fuse blows. I have had brand new cars show up and radio inop fuse blown.

Well I found the fuse and Viola the HU works now. It bugs me that the slot was the one labeled 'AC' instead of the one that said HI FI. Of course the hEadunit has power now and the amps appear to be working but no sound. FFS! Must be a secondary fuse out too or something.