How do you rgister an untitled car?

topcabron

I'm not sure you can, it probably wouldn't be easy anyway. But the more important question is WHY is there no title? My first thought/question would be - Is it stolen? I mean if you simply lost the title to your car you can easily get a duplicate title... If the car were left at a shop for repairs and never picked up, the shop can get a mechanics lein and get a title... Perhaps I'm missing something, but no title makes me think something funny is going on that I wouldn't want to get involved in.

I'm not sure you can, it probably wouldn't be easy anyway. But the more important question is WHY is there no title? My first thought/question would be - Is it stolen? I mean if you simply lost the title to your car you can easily get a duplicate title... If the car were left at a shop for repairs and never picked up, the shop can get a mechanics lein and get a title... Perhaps I'm missing something, but no title makes me think something funny is going on that I wouldn't want to get involved in.

I agree with you there.

A few points

The Grey market does not apply to 25 year old+ cars.

A car outside of the U.S., that was built at least 25 years ago, is readily importable into the country.

Automatic transmission !!! - You have to be kidding :icon_oak: :icon_oak:

Zero Ebay feedback - That says everything. Don't even bother asking questions to the "seller."

In certain States, it "may" be possible to obtain a title, with just a bill of sale.

These cars have the goods. A true Italian exotic that has everything going for it, for less than the price of a new Plastic mess-06.

Zero Ebay feedback - That says everything. Don't even bother asking questions to the "seller."

Ralph,

I dont think it should be automaticly considered scam if the seller doesn't have any feedback.

I don't buy anything from Ebay. Have listed a couple of items couple of years ago, they didn't sell, so I have 0 feedback.

This guy might just be trying to see how much he can get for a car with no title.

If anybody is seriously interested in this car I think they should contact the seller first, instead of dismissing it as a scam just because the seller doesn't have any feedback.

Who knows if its a scam.

I think the GHibli is a HOT car. With the imperfections and interior, added to the title situation, I am curious as to where this car will end up.

Ralph,

I dont think it should be automaticly considered scam if the seller doesn't have any feedback.

I don't buy anything from Ebay. Have listed a couple of items couple of years ago, they didn't sell, so I have 0 feedback.

This guy might just be trying to see how much he can get for a car with no title.

If anybody is seriously interested in this car I think they should contact the seller first, instead of dismissing it as a scam just because the seller doesn't have any feedback.

:iamwithstupid:

Every single person on Ebay had 0 feedback at one time. That doesn't mean that every person that uses Ebay for the first time is a scammer.

:iamwithstupid:

Every single person on Ebay had 0 feedback at one time. That doesn't mean that every person that uses Ebay for the first time is a scammer.

... to add to that. Usually the scammers creat some stupid non-sense feedbacks to look legit.

You are both correct about how zero feedback on eBay, does not automatically result in a scam. In this case, we are not talking about someone selling a used Sony Walkman.

The point is zero feedback, an expensive item, and no title does not look good from the start.

Some states are registration only on older cars and some use bills of sale for cars built before 1974, but I think this car should have a title somewhere.

Here in Calif. you can do special construction, basically you say your built your car from various parts from scratch. This is one way. But the vehicle is denoted as SPCS or some similar code they will use for your make. This is best way for someone who just wants to register something least amount of hassle, and cares only about driving it and getting it legal for the most part.

If its a collectible, then this route will just devalue the car most likely. Might depend how much the buyer cares though.

If car is really old, I say at least 25 years or more. Go to DMV say you owned it originally, been in storage, you lost all your documents to a tragic fire and you need to re-register the car.

You probably just need to do a statement of fact, vehicle verification (possible CHP verification) pay tags, done deal.

Keep in mind every state DMV has different rules and laws. I would go to DMV in your state and ask the manager some questions.

I was the only bidder on the car and won the Ghibli. $40,000.

Too bad it didnt make it out of reserve and the nimrod selling it never answered my questions.

Don't buy a Ghibli with AT. That's a waste.

As for registering a car with no title, you have to apply for a bonded title with the MVD. Never done it, not sure all that's involved, but I assume at a minimum they do a thorough inspection to look for any evidence the car was pieced together from stolen or salvage cars, then do a title search against the VIN. Typically you have to place a bond of 1.5x the value of the vehicle (in this case $60k if you had won), which the state holds for a predetermined number of years. If the car does not come up stolen during that time, you get the bond back.

I can think of much better things to do with the $100k+ you'd tie up buying this car.

Don't buy a Ghibli with AT. That's a waste.

As for registering a car with no title, you have to apply for a bonded title with the MVD. Never done it, not sure all that's involved, but I assume at a minimum they do a thorough inspection to look for any evidence the car was pieced together from stolen or salvage cars, then do a title search against the VIN. Typically you have to place a bond of 1.5x the value of the vehicle (in this case $60k if you had won), which the state holds for a predetermined number of years. If the car does not come up stolen during that time, you get the bond back.

I can think of much better things to do with the $100k+ you'd tie up buying this car.

I think you missed the point. Due to the seller never getting back to me, I figured it was bogus. I threw my bid in their just to do it. I knew that it was not going anywhere. Picking up this car for $40,000 would have been sweet, but unrealistic.

In Connecticut when a car is that old and you register it here, you do not receive a title, even if you request one. The registration and a bill of sale will suffice for registering the vehicle elsewhere.

In Connecticut when a car is that old and you register it here, you do not receive a title, even if you request one. The registration and a bill of sale will suffice for registering the vehicle elsewhere.

Well, unfortunately, my questions and my money were not worth the sellers time.