Anyone watching the last episodes of "The sopranos"

Guest skokos

Then, I read a theory about the infomercial for "The Magic Bullet" chopper relating to Tony's death. The infomercial was played while Tony was in the hospital, after being shot by Uncle June, and the commercial went along the lines of (naming three primary things): "chops vegetables, ice, etc...in under 10 seconds." Time the blackout, it lasts for exactly 10 seconds. Tony was the third to get killed, substitute those three items for Bobby, Sil, and Tony. I would have only thought about this under heavy influence of Marijuana.

Are you sure "Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds" wasnt on the jukebox? Because it would take a hell of a lot more than "Puff The Magic Dragon" to come up with this fcuking idea....

In the end fellas it boils down to this: ANY ending would have been anti-climatic....

E.g. Tony gets arrested: :jackoff: Like that hasnt happened a half dozen times before.... There would have to be a trial and blah blah blah....

or: Tony gets whacked.... WHAT A fcuking DOWNER! Thats just BAD storytelling (and screenwriters and directors are first and foremost STORYTELLERS!) Nobody wants to see him go all this way, invest all this time with him, only to see it was all for nothing.... BLECH! Wheres the purpose in that?

Or: Tony has Dinner with his family and NOTHING happens..... Yeah... OK.... Things just go on like this for this guy forever'???? WTF???

Chase left it open for us to draw our own ending..... And at the same time left open the possibility of A future movie (If Gandolfini wont sign on, Fine... He got killed in the Dinner and Sil and Paulie and AJ are there to carry on....- If he signes on then weve got an indictment to beat....) All that nonsense that was written by various actors on the show saying how itll be IMPOSSIBLE to do a movie means absolutely SQUAT, becasue 1. They filmed MULTIPLE ENDINGS and 2. NOBODY BUT CHASE KNEW WHICH ONE WOULD BE USED (Maybe NONE OF THEM!?!?!).

Im betting Gandolfini is sitting back this morning saying "Hmmm.... Cool.... If 2 years from now I change my mind, I still have that character open to me...."

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony's conversation with Bobby earlier this season -- "you wouldn't even know it had happened: everything would just go black."

it didn't fade to black. it went black in an instant.

Tony's dead.

The guy who walked in and sat at the counter was Phil Leotardo's nephew who had appeared in a prior episode..

the trucker was the brother of the truck driver shot during Christopher's botched hijack attempt in season #2. he appeared in the episode identifying his brother's body.

Pauly regularly used black street thugs to handle "wet work"..

Tony's conversation with Bobby earlier this season -- "you wouldn't even know it had happened: everything would just go black."

Tony's dead.

The guy who walked in and sat at the counter was Phil Leotardo's nephew who had appeared in a prior episode..

the trucker was the brother of the truck driver shot during Christopher's botched hijack attempt in season #2. he appeared in the episode identifying his brother's body.

Did it go black and silent for Tony, or for us, the audience? It didn't seem to switch back to Tony's POV. Hmm. So, all three of them were in the diner to kill tony? How does the truckers brother know it was connected to Tony? The black guys, no, they were just getting some pecan pie, one of the two black guys that were sent to kill Tony previously was killed. Phil Leotardo's newpher? Did he have a name? If so, it would be used in the credits, he would not be credited as "guy in members only jacket." Unless it was meant to be a curveball thrown at us. Like many have said, it could have ended any way. For that last 5 minutes, we sat at the edge of our seat just how Tony does, every second of his life, because of all of the past sins he has committed. ANYONE could kill him, he has many enemies, and has had MANY altercations. Who knows who would and could have done it.

It keeps going on, and on, and on, until it finally ends. Tony doesn't want it to end, we don't want it to end, but unfortunately, it has to end.

To me it was very simple, everything went full circle. Tony's in front of another therapist telling the mom stories, Tony and Pauly are in front of the pork place while Pauly is getting sun from that reflector, etc and Tony dies in a restaurant with his family the same way his father was killed. Where's the mystery?

To me it was very simple, everything went full circle. Tony's in front of another therapist telling the mom stories, Tony and Pauly are in front of the pork place while Pauly is getting sun from that reflector, etc and Tony dies in a restaurant with his family the same way his father was killed. Where's the mystery?

Did Tony's father really get killed in a restaurant n front of his family? I remember hearing this, I don't remember seeing it. Then again, I was never a long time Soprano's follower. But then again, the scene doesn't necessarily mean he was killed.

Tony's dead.

Sorry bud... The above which has been floating around the web has been Totally discredited.... Read my post #115...

Or: http://blog.myspace.com/gidacarbs

There was no "hit" order out on Tony, he made peace with New York, so who would have the balls to kill him? I thought some of the characters in the restaurant could of been undercover. The perfect time to arrest Tony without violence would be in front of the family. Also, Tony is up for indictment on a gun charge and or murder. If the series comes back, my guess it will start with Tony in jail, and then develop another character to continue the crime/mobster saga.....

There were two songs that stood out when Tony was flipping through the Juke box: "Any Way You Want It," and "Magic Man." Then, ultimately "Don't Stop." One of the other songs was "Who will you run to." But, what is intersting, is as he scrolls through the music, "Magic Man (live) is shown again. Here is a list of all songs in the juke box:

What jumped out at me about the music was Tony flipped through all the choices, mostly rock, then he got to some Tony Bennett, then he made his selection. When he didn't choose the classic, Italian songs, it surprised me.

I think my reaction was intended by the director.

I could write a whole lot about how the song selection (by David Chase and by Tony) showed several themes of the series, (i.e the decline of the old school Mafia, Tony's relationships with his crime "family" and his real family, his relationship with Carmela, etc.) and how the song choice inspired a perfect ending, and how the whole "tony got shot when the screen went blank" theory is total crap, but I'll spare you all. Any film buff/ english major who wants to geek out should just send me a PM.

Guest skokos
and how the whole "tony got shot when the screen went blank" theory is total crap, but I'll spare you all.
:iamwithstupid:

This is how the actual sopranos set looks like. I can see why James doesn't want to do it anymore, it feels so fake, he gets nothing out of it while everybody else gets the world from him.

57074698.jpg

57074808.jpg

57074839.jpg

57074851.jpg

57074896.jpg

57074914.jpg

57074919.jpg

57074924.jpg

57074932.jpg

57074941.jpg

57074937.jpg

This is how the actual sopranos set looks like. I can see why James doesn't want to do it anymore, it feels so fake, he gets nothing out of it while everybody else gets the world from him.

HUH???

HES AN ACTOR.... THATS A SET.... THATS WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE..... Its actually one of the nicer ones Ive seen.... And what he "gets from it" is a shitload of money and what every actor wants- FAME.

HUH???

HES AN ACTOR.... THATS A SET.... THATS WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE..... Its actually one of the nicer ones Ive seen.... And what he "gets from it" is a shitload of money and what every actor wants- FAME.

But you don't get it, it "feels fake", you know. :eusa_think:

But you don't get it, it "feels fake", you know. :eusa_think:

Yeah... It does... You get over that real quick....

Yeah... It does... You get over that real quick....

Pay me what gandolfini was getting paid, I'll sit in those sets for days on end.

I still don't understand why the ending was such a mystery.

Here's a new conspiracy theory offered up by someone on the boards:

Before I copy & paste it, wanted to threw some extra sprinkles regarding Patsy Parisi:

Patsy Parisi felt convinced Tony was the one who whacked his twin brother wayyy back in season 1 or 2 (loyal fans will remember him going to his house with a rifle and instead took a leak in the pool)...Tony really did order the hit, however.

Perhaps this was Chase's "resolution to a season 1 storyline"....if so, utterly brilliant!

-- FG

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED ON THE FINAL EPISODE OF THE SOPRANOS

Last Sunday night, David Chase delivered a brilliant, knockout finale of The Sopranos that was so unexpected and sly that seemingly most of America missed a key element while they waited for Tony to be riddled with bullets by Phil Leotardo's guys.

In the next 60 seconds of his life, Tony Soprano will almost certainly get whacked, if all goes as planned. But what many Americans, who reportedly were offended in huge numbers by the "ambiguity" of the final episode, seem to have missed, is not whether or not Tony gets whacked, but by whom.

Tony was not, or more properly, will not get whacked by Phil Leotardo's goons. He will be murdered by a hit man hired by his own traitorous goon, "Patsy" Parisi, who masterminded the perfect murder of Tony Soprano with the help of his studly son, who, conveniently, is engaged to Tony's daughter, Meadow.

In the scene following Bobby Bacala's funeral, with the whole clan gorging on baked ziti, Parisi motions his other son over and whispers some instructions, wearing a very serious face. Something is being plotted. In another key scene, Little Carmine mediates the conflict between Tony and Phil's henchman and forces Phil's boys to agree to take the target off Tony. Tony also wants their help locating Phil, but they refuse to go that far. This is not a red herring. Phil's guys are no longer after Tony. They are grudgingly resigned to Phil's murder. Phil went "too far."

Back to Meadow. The perfect way to a don's heart is through his daughter. (Don Corleone's story in The Godfather opens on his daughter's wedding day, when he can refuse no request.) Handsome, successful (in fact, perfect) young Parisi sat opposite his parents in Tony and Carmela's living room in the final episode, and cooed in solicitous tones to Miss Meadow Soprano that she must learn not to "devalue" herself. The complex drama beneath the words and glances in this scene provide clues to the culmination of this genius plot to murder Tony Soprano, which has been subtly unfolding all season.

Early in the scene, Tony asks the Parisis, "Where's your other son?" Patsy's drunken wife, obviously embarrassed by the question, replies that they didn't think he was invited, since wedding planning was the purpose of the get-together. A few moments later, Carmela suggests to Tony that Parisi's glass needs a refill. Parisi starts to get up, and is admonished by Tony to stay seated in an ugly little exchange of looks between the men, which belies their camaraderie as future in-laws. Watch the look on Parisi's face after Tony hands him the drink and turns away. It is the look of a murderer eager for impending satisfaction. He's the Judas.

Tony and Carmela were not happy, remember, when Meadow started dating the Parisi boy. But as the season progressed, the boy won their hearts. He stood up and protected their daughter against a thug who made an obscene remark to her when they were together in a coffee shop several episodes back. The thug was likely paid by Parisi to insult her, so his son could look good defending her. And now Meadow's Knight in Shining Armor is making career connections for her with his law firm – with an astronomical starting salary that made Tony and Carmela burst into genuinely joyous whoops and smiles. When was the last time anything made these two that happy? Plus, the Parisi boy treats their little girl like a queen, which is certainly not something any of her other suitors on the show have done.

And what better time to whack one's boss without getting caught than when you know a rival don has drawn a target on his back? Perfect timing, since Tony and the audience are expecting Phil's goons to do the job.

David Chase employed this same brilliant timing a few seasons ago when Janice murdered her husband just as Tony was putting a hit on him. We were all bracing for Richie Aprile's assassination by Tony's guys, and in one of the most shockingly effective surprises in Sopranos history, Janice had a fit of I'm Mad as Hell and I'm

Not Gonna Take It Anymore and shot him first.

Parisi's plan has worked like a charm. Nobody in Tony's camp, including Tony, has had any idea that Parisi wants him dead. Nor, apparently, did the viewing audience. Tony feels relatively safe having dinner out because he knows Phil's guys are no longer after him. And he's correct – they aren't. Parisi's son knows exactly where Tony will be having dinner with the family on a few hours notice, because, as Meadow's fiance, he has a direct line to the girl. Carmela informs Tony when she arrives for their fateful Last Supper that Meadow will be late because she is at a doctor appointment changing her method of birth control. The look on Tony's face shows his discomfort, but also his acceptance of young Parisi as her lover.

Pundits and critics who have weighed in have primarily focused on the simplistic question of does Tony get whacked or doesn't he? This is David Chase we're talking about folks, remember? The creator of this amazingly original, dizzyingly complex series, who has given us one of the most exquisite viewing experiences of our lives and kept us hooked year after year. How can people possibly have underestimated him, and missed all the fun? The darned thing was a whodunit – and nobody noticed!

The rest of the fun, then (and there's much more to come, now that we know Who Killed Tony Soprano), is in How It Happens. If all goes as plotted, Tony gets it right in the head. No question. And his wife, the supreme enabler of his violent, sociopathic life, gets to sit and watch – talk about the perfect karmic end of her story. And so do his deeply troubled son and seemingly bright, successful daughter. His son is already in the booth, and his daughter will be sitting next to her dad by the time the gunman emerges from the bathroom in a moment. She's running, don't forget.

So, the assassin comes out of the bathroom (just as Michael Corleone did before he murdered his father's rival don and a police chief). He will extend his arm in classic style, plug Tony a few times in the head and the heart, drop the gun, and walk fast down the central corridor of the coffee shop. And the posse of boys loitering at the bakery case, his backups, will make sure he gets out cleanly. Simple. Classic.

But what if Meadow arrives just at the moment the gunman emerges from the bathroom (they're both moving fast)? Now all bets are off. She could easily get shot for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, like the poor girl who got an unplanned whacking when Tony's guys thought they were killing Phil and offed the wrong man.

Of course, they'd never purposely whack Meadow. There's a code of honor about that. But the assassin will certainly do whatever is necessary to ensure Tony's murder, and if Meadow is in the way, well, anything could happen. Would AJ leap up out of the booth to stop the killer's escape? He's seated on the outside, and could easily try to block the man's path. Will Carmela watch the murder of her daughter, then her husband, and then her son? She and Tony are trapped in the inside seats against a low wall sporting a juke box riddled with classic American tunes.

And remember that other guy who came into the place who you thought might be the assassin at first? Redneck-looking guy in a plaid shirt, wearing a USA hat? Could he jump up and interfere with the assassin's exit? Might he be carrying a gun? He sure looks like a member of the NRA.

If you play it out in the cinema of your mind's eye, all the endlessly, violently balletic possibilities unfold, and it's so much more perversely entertaining than just seeing Tony get shot. Our love of these characters has been admittedly perverse from the start. So Chase gives us the privilege of letting our imaginations take flight. But American viewers don't like using their imaginations. Tie it up with a bow, and hand it to me.

Since the airing of the last episode, David Chase has been quoted as saying that if you watch the episode carefully, "It's all there." What on earth do people think he's referring to? Some stale plot to kill Tony by Phil Leotardo that we've all known has been coming for weeks and weeks? Chase is a great artist. Among the very, very best this country has ever produced. He's not an entrepreneur, like most of the hacks who create television shows and movies in this country and are eager to pander to an audience that wants an easy-to-understand story, characters who wear hats that are clearly black or white, and lots of violence. (In other words, David Chase is not to television what George W. Bush is to politics.) But it was this spoon-fed type, capital-letters resolution that most of the American public seemingly expected to see last Sunday night, regardless of what Chase has provided them thoughout the series' run. There have always been complaints when Chase has neglected to meet viewers' basest expectations because of our lamentable habit of watching without an ability or willingness to see. Talk about casting pearls before swine.

c. Victor D'Altorio

6/13/07

• 4 months later...

It's official here. Tony did not get whacked in the final episode.

Breaking his (series creator David Chase) silence months after the HBO mob drama ended its run, he is offering a belated explanation for that blackout at the restaurant. He strongly suggests that, no, Tony Soprano didn't get whacked moments later as he munched onion rings with his family at Holsten's.

Chase says :

"Why would we entertain people for eight years only to give them the finger?"

But isn't that exactly what the MF did!?

That's exactly what they want you to wonder.

I'm not wondering, I know after 8 years they gave the fans the big FU!

I'm not wondering, I know after 8 years they gave the fans the big FU!

I meant they left you wondering why they would give you the finger after 8 yrs. I guess it's the ultimate fcuk you! :icon_mrgreen: