Survey Of Gallardo Clutch Ware

monahan_z

With all the talk about Gallardo clutch ware I thought it would be useful to see if we could get a survey going and get real numbers. The problem with forum treads discussing things like clutch ware is that you typically only hear from people with a problem. Users with no clutch problem typically do not write in. There is thus a skewed picture of how fast clutches in Gallardo’s ware out. I think what is needed is a survey of Gallardo’s and the miles/Km's they have on them before or after a clutch replacement. With the data below we should all be able to get a better picture of the situation.

So how about all readers with a Gallardo respond to the following questions.

Gallardo Model Year =

Manual/E-Gear =

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) =

Total Miles on original clutch =

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances =

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) =

Clutch hardware version - if known =

Software version (if E-gear) - if known =

Please take a second and fill out this survey. It is only useful if many complete it.

Mine is:-

E-Gear

gently

unknown

unknown

06 SE Twin Turbo 6speed

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 13500

Total Miles on original clutch = 13500 agressive....over 50 power launches!

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = no diagnostics, inspected at 5k, perfect and still feels good!

Clutch hardware version = latest version sintered clutch

Updated, 08.02.09

Gallardo Model Year = 2004

Manual/E-Gear = Manual

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 11,000

Total Miles on original clutch = 4000 Miles then Lamborghini updated it to a Rev E under Warranty.

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Combination

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = 90 %

Clutch hardware version - if known = Rev E

Gallardo Model Year = 2007

Manual/E-Gear = E-Gear

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 17.500 miles

Total Miles on original clutch = 17.500 miles

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = 4-5 times a week, total of 15 powerlaunches

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = 2mm wear (60-ish % still left)

Gallardo Model Year = 2006

Manual/E-Gear = Manual

Total Miles on Car = 24,300+

Total Miles on original clutch = same

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = no power launches - daily driver, w/ lots of stop & go.

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = unknown

Clutch hardware version - if known = 2006 OEM

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = n/a

Gallardo Model Year =2004

Manual/E-Gear =Manual!

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) =8400

Total Miles on original clutch =8400

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances =Hard, but sane: no drag racing/clutch abuse

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) =? no trouble, never looked at

Clutch hardware version - if known =

Hey where's Aram? I'd like to know how his clutch is holding up. I know he's put some serious miles on his Gallardo.

I think the 6- speed's have a longer lifespan than the E-Gear's.

One Lambo Tech told me that main flaw in the E-Gear system is the fact that the clutch does not compensate for clutch wear when engaging. So basically it continues to engage at the same point as when it was new resulting in premature wear. At least this was the case with the older E-Gears (04/05's)

Manual/E-Gear = Manual

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 5000 (When I sold it)

Total Miles on original clutch = 2000 Miles then Lamborghini updated it to a Rev E under Warranty.

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Weekend Conservatively

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = Like new when sold it with 5000 miles (Current owner is having no issues)

Clutch hardware version - if known = Rev E

Software version (if E-gear) - NA

Manual/E-Gear = Manual

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 3,365

Total Miles on original clutch = 3,365

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Weekends - Gently

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = Unknown (no diagnostics for Manual) - no issues

Clutch hardware version - if known = 2007 newest clutch

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = NA

Gallardo Model Year = 2006 SE

Manual/E-Gear = E Gear

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 9700

Total Miles on original clutch = 9700

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = 2 recorded hard launches (Lambo diagnostics). Daily driver. I accellerate hard after the driveline is fully engaged. I rarely allow the E-gears' automatic downshift mechanism to interact. I almost always pull neutral when approaching stops in traffic. I upshift/downshift aggressively when terrorizing the neighborhood.

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = 96% (4% wear) (Lambo diagnostics) unknown - Feels perfect

Clutch hardware version - if known = rev 3

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = unk

Gallardo Model Year: MY2004

Manuel/E-Gear: E-Gear

Total Miles on car: 14.200

Tatal miles on original clutch: 6800

Type of driver: Generally i stuck in traffic jam, when not on trafic i drive sometimes agresivelly, sometimes gently. But not a track guy.. Use Sport mode in autobahns

Note: The clutch on my car is the third one , despite the second one has some life remaninig(about 1000 miles or so) , i decided to change the full clutch with the new engine installation processing

Type of Clutch and Software: Been told the latest ones done by Milano service.

Note: On the lates clutch(third) clutch i stuck lots of time in traffic , in one stucked uphill and saw some smokes coming from clutch. and last weeks i stalled the car two times , while trying to do maneouvring in garage.

Remaning Life of the latest clutch: Dunno

Comment: My big trouble is the traffic jams....

• 1 month later...

Mine is:-

6 speed

Spirited driving with some commuting with traffic.

10000 miles

7000 replaced with E revision.

I lent my car to my brother and it came back needing a new clutch. I chalk it up to coincidence as my brother is an excellent driver! Good thing it was replaced under warranty. The new clutch definitely feels better than the original clutch. Much easier to modulate and the pedal feel is improved.

Gallardo Model Year = 2006

Manual/E-Gear = Manual

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 11,000

Total Miles on original clutch = 11,000.

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Aggressively with care.

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = Feels great still

Clutch hardware version - if known = N/A

Software version (if E-gear) - N/A

for my TT#!

04 year ,egear original clutch had 12000 miles on it LOC computer said good for 8000 more...

Heffner fried it first day with Twin Turbos...then 06 clutch installed 10000 miles put on

it.... then Jim bought 4000 more miles on that one...still going....

Manual/E-Gear = 6-sp

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 12,600

Total Miles on original clutch = 7,000 replaced under warranty to Rev. E (did not slip, but upgraded anyway)

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Gentle, but semi-agressive on occasion.

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = PPI at 10,000 - Visualy inspection said ~70% left

Clutch hardware version - if known = E

Gallardo Model Year = 2005

Manual/E-Gear = EGear

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 6,500

Total Miles on original clutch = Replaced at 3,200 miles

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Between Gently and aggresive

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = Lamborghini adjusted the clutch a month ago and said it was 20% worn

Software version (if E-gear) - N/A

When i had the clutch replaced at 3,200 miles it was only 50% to 60% worn but had been overheated and was not covered under warranty. I love my Gallardo but I will only buy a manual in the future.

Gallardo Model Year = 2004 ; 2006 SE

Manual/E-Gear = e-gear ; e-gear

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 3,700 ; 1,700

Total Miles on original clutch = 3700 though heard new owner replaced it after 1000miles ; 1,700

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = between gently & aggressively ; more aggressively than the MY04 but still with care. 2 power-launches

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = unknown ; 98% according to dealership

Clutch hardware version - if known = unknown but the original one wasn't the E-version for sure ; E-clutch

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = unknown but not the latest when sold ; most likely the version prior to the Superleggera

Manual/E-Gear = egear

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 40000km, 25000miles

Total Miles on original clutch = 25000 miles

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = very aggresive driving, mostly long distances with lots of gear shifting

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = I don't remember exactly but the dealer was susprised this is the first clutch, it looked so well, like 80+% left

Clutch hardware version - if known = newest

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = newest

Manual/E-Gear = egear

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 40000km, 25000miles

Total Miles on original clutch = 25000 miles

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = very aggresive driving, mostly long distances with lots of gear shifting

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = I don't remember exactly but the dealer was susprised this is the first clutch, it looked so well, like 80+% left

Clutch hardware version - if known = newest

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = newest

Wow! thats just great. You must really know how to use the clutch. Gives the rest of us some hope!

Wow! thats just great. You must really know how to use the clutch. Gives the rest of us some hope!

my car is egear :) I think my small clutch wear comes from the fact that I first tried sequential transmission on my E46 BMW M3 with SMG (a kind of egear), where the gear changes were very rough and I had to learn to take away from a gas pedal for a little moment, I do the same on G and the gear changes are very smooth (but still quick)

Manual/E-Gear = Manual

Total Miles on Car (please convert if Km's) = 20,000miles

Total Miles on original clutch = 20,000 miles

You normally drive "gently", aggressively, daily driver, long distances = Very aggressive, nearly every day driving. Lots of shifting with rev matching and double-clutching when needed. No hard launches.

Life left on clutch if known (according to Lamborghini diagnostics) = I don't know.

Software version (if E-gear) - if known = N/A

-shiv

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. So it doesn't look like anyone has gone through an updated/sintered clutch. Has anyone had to replace theirs?? Are they really bulletproof? The clutch was the only thing keeping me from an '04, but it sounds like once it's updated to the newer clutch you've got a pretty darn reliable car. This thread is definitely putting me at ease.