What is the best price for murci clutch replacement?

jess996

My clutch was replaced with under 5000 miles on it (2006 Murci Roadster E-Gear). The car wasn't abused, was never launched and I've owned multiple exotics and have been driving manual transmissions since my very first car. The clutch suddenly started to slip. When I took it into the dealer, the computer was showing that the clutch still had at least 50% of the wear left in it. Here was the problem. With 50% of the clutch left, the dealer could not adjust the e-gear to eliminate the slip. The factory sent them several software changes to try to eliminate the slipping but they just couldn't get it worked out and finally they suggested changing the clutch. The clutch was grabbing great after first gear... 2nd to 3rd, downshifting, etc... But there was terrible slipping at takeoff. A clutch with 50% of the life left in it shouldn't be slipping in my opinion. My argument to Lamborghini was that if the clutch has to be replaced this soon, the adjustment in the egear was wrong to begin with. I had a decision to make, let the clutch wear some more or replace it. I decided to replace it just in case there was some other transmission problem causing the premature clutch wear. If there was another problem, I wanted to be sure that I found it before warranty expiration. Also, I couldn't stomach the thought of driving a Lambo with a slipping clutch. I have other cars with manual transmissions with far more miles on them with strong clutches.

Needless to say, I think this will be my last e-gear.

Ferromet:

After driving two LP640 s as my daily drivers for 4 months, I changed my order for an 08 to the manual clutch rather than the e gear. I do not like the way the e gear clutches slip while engaging 1st gear and one must run up the rpms to 1500 or 2000 rpm to get the car to start moving. I enjoy my 03 floppy 6 speed much more than my current 07 LP640 e gear. I feel much more in touch with the car with the manual clutch of the floppy 6 speed. Driives better and costs $10,000 less. Can't beat that for me. Car seems more responsive to the gas pedal with the manual clutch as well. I cannot understand why 90% of the 640s are ordered with e gear.

Frank

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E gear attracts a much larger market for manufacturers : Old People and Females that both are not used driving a six speed and rather just have all the comodities the car can offer.

Why only sell Lambos to persons that like 6 speeds when everyone can drive one with this egear thing?

E gear attracts a much larger market for manufacturers : Old People and Females that both are not used driving a six speed and rather just have all the comodities the car can offer.

Why only sell Lambos to persons that like 6 speeds when everyone can drive one with this egear thing?

Sadly many Lambo owners are not enthusiast but buy these cars so they can tell their friends they own one of these beautiful exotics. SO to them even if Lambo were to produce a totally automatic car, they would be happier. Just step and go. How sad.

Sadly many Lambo owners are not enthusiast but buy these cars so they can tell their friends they own one of these beautiful exotics. SO to them even if Lambo were to produce a totally automatic car, they would be happier. Just step and go. How sad.

:iamwithstupid:

I'm on Dec '04 manual. Just touched 19500miles on orig clutch but the pedal is getting higher on the bite! :monkeyleft:

So, I'm taking it a little easy now. Do they change the flywheel/bearing etc as well?

I'm on Dec '04 manual. Just touched 19500miles on orig clutch but the pedal is getting higher on the bite! :monkeyleft:

So, I'm taking it a little easy now. Do they change the flywheel/bearing etc as well?

Here's some pics of an '06 burned Murci clutch. The bearing was good but as you can expect the clutch was not and needed replacement.

The bearing is VERY expensive if you need to have it replaced.

MurcieClutch014.jpg

MurcieClutch003.jpg

MurcieClutch007.jpg

Thanks for the photos, I dont understand why a clutch would cost so much. I have done close to 13,000km's on my ride. So far so good.

My clutch was replaced with under 5000 miles on it (2006 Murci Roadster E-Gear). The car wasn't abused, was never launched and I've owned multiple exotics and have been driving manual transmissions since my very first car. The clutch suddenly started to slip. When I took it into the dealer, the computer was showing that the clutch still had at least 50% of the wear left in it. Here was the problem. With 50% of the clutch left, the dealer could not adjust the e-gear to eliminate the slip. The factory sent them several software changes to try to eliminate the slipping but they just couldn't get it worked out and finally they suggested changing the clutch. The clutch was grabbing great after first gear... 2nd to 3rd, downshifting, etc... But there was terrible slipping at takeoff. A clutch with 50% of the life left in it shouldn't be slipping in my opinion. My argument to Lamborghini was that if the clutch has to be replaced this soon, the adjustment in the egear was wrong to begin with. I had a decision to make, let the clutch wear some more or replace it. I decided to replace it just in case there was some other transmission problem causing the premature clutch wear. If there was another problem, I wanted to be sure that I found it before warranty expiration. Also, I couldn't stomach the thought of driving a Lambo with a slipping clutch. I have other cars with manual transmissions with far more miles on them with strong clutches.

Needless to say, I think this will be my last e-gear.

The irony here is that the whole reason why Ferruccio Lamborghini started this company was because he complained about the lousy clutch in his Ferrari and now it

seems to me that these clutches are not living to the expectations. Hell, I hear from many Lambo owners that they are afraid to "take off" full throttle with them simply

because they don't want to replace their clutches !! They need to make better, stronger clutches IMO.

The irony here is that the whole reason why Ferruccio Lamborghini started this company was because he complained about the lousy clutch in his Ferrari and now it

seems to me that these clutches are not living to the expectations. Hell, I hear from many Lambo owners that they are afraid to "take off" full throttle with them simply

because they don't want to replace their clutches !! They need to make better, stronger clutches IMO.

x1000

Yes, it is ironic. But lambo don't make clutches, Valeo, Sachs etc does.

Put 500-600+ hp in any car with a regular clutch, and you will have issues with the durability, unless you sacrifice drivability with sintered clutch or something like that.

Yes, it is ironic. But lambo don't make clutches, Valeo, Sachs etc does.

Put 500-600+ hp in any car with a regular clutch, and you will have issues with the durability, unless you sacrifice drivability with sintered clutch or something like that.

Well perhaps we can get Sachs to custom make one? I'm sure it's posible?

Well perhaps we can get Sachs to custom make one? I'm sure it's posible?

While having lunch with Valentino Balboni a year ago at the factory, I asked him why the clutches were so fragile and needed repalcement so often. He explained that the clutches wear out quickly for several reasons, (1) first gear is a tall gear because the 0-60 times would be worse if one had to shift before 60 mph, therefore the taller gear forces the clutch to slip more until it is engaged fully, (2) the car is very heavy and it is harder to get moving than lighter cars, and (3) the all wheel drive makes it difficult to spin the wheels with hard acceleration forcing the clutch to slip instead of burning tire rubber. He offered no hope that any of this would change. My theory is that one can obtain longer clutch wear if hard starts are avoided and hard acceleration is done only when there is little chance of the wheels spinning (starting at higher speeds).

Frank

While having lunch with Valentino Balboni a year ago at the factory, I asked him why the clutches were so fragile and needed repalcement so often. He explained that the clutches wear out quickly for several reasons, (1) first gear is a tall gear because the 0-60 times would be worse if one had to shift before 60 mph, therefore the taller gear forces the clutch to slip more until it is engaged fully, (2) the car is very heavy and it is harder to get moving than lighter cars, and (3) the all wheel drive makes it difficult to spin the wheels with hard acceleration forcing the clutch to slip instead of burning tire rubber. He offered no hope that any of this would change. My theory is that one can obtain longer clutch wear if hard starts are avoided and hard acceleration is done only when there is little chance of the wheels spinning (starting at higher speeds).

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense. However I'm sure Sachs could build a heavy duty clutch for a better bite and perhap a lighter flywheel from someone...

Frank,

Thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense. However I'm sure Sachs could build a heavy duty clutch for a better bite and perhap a lighter flywheel from someone...

There actually is another Murcie clutch that we are testing right now. It has to endure the rigorous testing to really accept it as a better clutch. I'm simply putting miles on it with a lot more power.

There are many times I've tested clutches in the past (and I thought) would be a better replacement for the factory application and I've been wrong....Time will tell if this one will suffice as "better."

MurcieClutch016.jpg

There actually is another Murcie clutch that we are testing right now. It has to endure the rigorous testing to really accept it as a better clutch. I'm simply putting miles on it with a lot more power.

There are many times I've tested clutches in the past (and I thought) would be a better replacement for the factory application and I've been wrong....Time will tell if this one will suffice as "better."

MurcieClutch016.jpg

Sounds good, please keep us updated. A few questions:

-Is this clutch lighter than the stock clutch in weight?

-Is it heaveir on the foot?

-How many pounds of clamping force?

-Do we re-use the clutch cover and throw out bearing or is everything different?

-Anything upgrades on the flywheel? Or is the stock flywheel light enough?

Sounds good, please keep us updated. A few questions:

-Is this clutch lighter than the stock clutch in weight?

-Is it heaveir on the foot?

-How many pounds of clamping force?

-Do we re-use the clutch cover and throw out bearing or is everything different?

-Anything upgrades on the flywheel? Or is the stock flywheel light enough?

Hi Sameer,

The clutch I'm testing is slightly lighter than factory. And yes, the clamping force is higher.

One of the best attributes I'm experiencing from the new clutch is the peddle feel and clutch engagement. Previously, and proir to installing the replacement clutch, I've noticed the factory clutch (as soft as it felt) had a slight grabby feel only when the vehicle was at a standstill; you had to raise the rpm and accelerate 'just right' to launch the car without stalling.

The replacement clutch has an excellent engagement under launch it's so impressive. It doesn't matter what rpm or how fast you release the peddle - the car just gets rolling w/o laboring.

Now, here's the down side of the new clutch:

I have NO IDEA how well it will fair under extreme conditions (I'm still testing) or how long it will last?! It could very well be a flop! Although it's exceeded my expectations so far and I'm crossing my fingers it will continue to work well :icon_thumleft:

Best regards

Hi Sameer,

The clutch I'm testing is slightly lighter than factory. And yes, the clamping force is higher.

One of the best attributes I'm experiencing from the new clutch is the peddle feel and clutch engagement. Previously, and proir to installing the replacement clutch, I've noticed the factory clutch (as soft as it felt) had a slight grabby feel only when the vehicle was at a standstill; you had to raise the rpm and accelerate 'just right' to launch the car without stalling.

The replacement clutch has an excellent engagement under launch it's so impressive. It doesn't matter what rpm or how fast you release the peddle - the car just gets rolling w/o laboring.

Now, here's the down side of the new clutch:

I have NO IDEA how well it will fair under extreme conditions (I'm still testing) or how long it will last?! It could very well be a flop! Although it's exceeded my expectations so far and I'm crossing my fingers it will continue to work well :icon_thumleft:

Best regards

Doug,

Thanks for your replies and input. Once you are sure that the product does well, please do post here. I can be interested. Also if you do have anything on the flywheel, please do keep us posted. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I've got a 2002 Murcie with 13k miles on it and the clutch is as strong as the day I got it (purchased 2 years ago with 1800 miles on the car). I drive my car aggressively.....but with respect. I hope to get over 20k miles on my clutch before replacement.....only time will tell.

2008 Lamborghini Giro here we come!!!

The e-gear cars allow for so much slippage which is why they don't last. We've played around with different PIS settings to see if that helps but only time will tell. We replace the 6spd cars with a kevlar disc just like we do in all the other Lambos and they have great longgivity. We are going to probably do a kevlar set up in the boss's e-gear roadster this winter. We'll see how that works out.

The e-gear cars allow for so much slippage which is why they don't last. We've played around with different PIS settings to see if that helps but only time will tell. We replace the 6spd cars with a kevlar disc just like we do in all the other Lambos and they have great longgivity. We are going to probably do a kevlar set up in the boss's e-gear roadster this winter. We'll see how that works out.

Can we use the Kevlar disc for the manuals?

How do you change PIS ? An ECU adjustment ? And why ... ?! Is it like release arm adjustment on a manual ? and wouldn't it need doing regularly as the clutch wears ? Is this a common adjustment ?

All I get from the dealers (HR Owen in London) is that the (my) clutch is "7mm", the book (don't know what book) says replace at 10mm, and that you get gear selection problems around that figure...

That can't be plate thickness.... I have an 05 egear, 26K miles, currently on 2nd clutch and fine.

They do seem to slip a lot more than say BMW SMG on initial pull away in 1st.....