Possibly The Hardest Decision I Have Ever Made In My Life

rmartin

Ok guys, recently I have been looking into getting rid of my daily driver which happens to be a Merc S500 with around 100K miles. I have come down to 2 decisions for what to buy to replace the Merc and I need some help because I just cant decide. It's either going to be a black Maserati Granturismo or a White Continental GT Flying Spur (I will not buy the GT Coupe). So help me out and give me some opinions, keep in the mind the car will be driven every single day that I cannot get the G' out which includes rainy days and semi-snow days. Oh ya and which one do you think is more prone to getting attention?

Thanks Guys,

Ralph

Not very familiar with either car...but personally I would go Maserati over Bentley...but, considering it's a daily driver I don't know! :eusa_think:

Interested to see other opinions...

Neither, they're both old and outdated, buy a DB9. It's a faster, prettier, and more technologically advanced car than either of your first choices, and it'll get you more attention.

Neither, they're both old and outdated, buy a DB9. It's a faster, prettier, and more technologically advanced car than either of your first choices, and it'll get you more attention.

This is the Granturismo's first year on the market...... plus the DB9 is to expensive for what I'm going to be doing with the car (driving it everyday) and both the bentley and the maserati are very technologically advanced

This is the Granturismo's first year on the market...... plus the DB9 is to expensive for what I'm going to be doing with the car (driving it everyday) and both the bentley and the maserati are very technologically advanced

The GranTurismo is a DOG. It's BIG, SLOW, HEAVY as all hell, and very old in terms of components. That engine has been around FOREVER, and it's not exactly a masterpiece, the transmission is a wet sump and sits in the FRONT of the car, versus dry sump and back of the car as a Grand Tourer is supposed to be. It's too soft and an all around bad car. The only thing the GranTurismo has going for it is its looks, in that department, it does well.

The Continental however, is older. It's built on VW's D1 platform which has been around since 2002 and started out on the VW Phaeton sedan. The CGT is just a quicker and better looking version of the Pheaton, but it too has been around FOREVER.

The DB9, although 4 years old, has new components designed specifically for the car. Yes, the motor comes from the Vanquish, but that's like saying that it would suck to have an MC12 because it has a detuned Enzo engine. It looks better than either car IMO, and many will probably agree with me.

As for price, the DB9 has a LOWER MSRP than the Flying Spur, and the Maserati is only cheaper because it sucks.

Anyway, these are just my opinions, so I wouldn't get either.

The GranTurismo is a DOG. It's BIG, SLOW, HEAVY as all hell, and very old in terms of components. That engine has been around FOREVER, and it's not exactly a masterpiece, the transmission is a wet sump and sits in the FRONT of the car, versus dry sump and back of the car as a Grand Tourer is supposed to be. It's too soft and an all around bad car. The only thing the GranTurismo has going for it is its looks, in that department, it does well.

The Continental however, is older. It's built on VW's D1 platform which has been around since 2002 and started out on the VW Phaeton sedan. The CGT is just a quicker and better looking version of the Pheaton, but it too has been around FOREVER.

The DB9, although 4 years old, has new components designed specifically for the car. Yes, the motor comes from the Vanquish, but that's like saying that it would suck to have an MC12 because it has a detuned Enzo engine. It looks better than either car IMO, and many will probably agree with me.

As for price, the DB9 has a LOWER MSRP than the Flying Spur, and the Maserati is only cheaper because it sucks.

Anyway, these are just my opinions, so I wouldn't get either.

Ok ok I do see where you are coming from and you do have some good points but I just couldnt see myself owning an AND a lambo, Audi, and BMW. I drove the Maserati yesterday and it can do two of the things that i really like. It can be very laid back when I'm cruising along or if I want to take it on some turns it will do that aswell. I think from what I am coming from (a HUGE S500) it feels alot better to me in handling and that's probably why I think it has better handling than you think. Sionce it would be an upgrade for me that means I would be happy with either.

Ok ok I do see where you are coming from and you do have some good points but I just couldnt see myself owning an AND a lambo, Audi, and BMW. I drove the Maserati yesterday and it can do two of the things that i really like. It can be very laid back when I'm cruising along or if I want to take it on some turns it will do that aswell. I think from what I am coming from (a HUGE S500) it feels alot better to me in handling and that's probably why I think it has better handling than you think. Sionce it would be an upgrade for me that means I would be happy with either.

Get what makes you happy, drive both on the same day, and make a decision. After all, no matter what we say, YOU are gonna be the one who has to live with the car on a daily basis. Good luck with whatever you choose, and post some pics when you get it.

:icon_thumleft:

personally, If looking at exotic marques (non lexus as I would pick) Id take the bentley of those two; its got more classic looks and if your benz is anything to go by, youll be holding it for a while. beyond that, I would choose a DB9:)

Two VERY different cars --- a 2-door coupe/GT vs. a huge 4-door sedan. If you want the roominess of MBS500 then the choice is obvious. For a GT, there are better choices out there but if a Maser GT fancies you, then by all means. Personally, I am a bit skeptical on Maser, their quality, their reliability (especially for a brand new production) and resale value. The Flying Spur is fairly bullet-proof: proven technology and quality-built. The only issue I have with it is its insatiable thirst for fuel. It's a more versatile & likely reliable car than the Maser. You will definitely get more attention from the Maser, i.e. assuming people know what it is before identifying the trident badge.

Do you really want a Maserati that just hit production? I would personally stay away from any first year production car, especially a high performance Italian one.

I actually would go with the Maserati Quattroporte (the big 4 door). It is comparable to your current benz, but with a more edgy look. I know that is not on your list, but thought I would bring it up.

Also - have you thought about an AMG version of an E or S (or CL) class - you would get the dependability and the speed you are looking for.

But if I had to choose between the two you put down - I would go the Bentley - It has classier looks, decent sedan performance and not run of the mill here in Cincy (of course either is the Maser for that matter.)

I just like the thought of having a 4 door... What if you come to pick me up and we have 2 other people... You don't think my big ... Shoulders (and Ass) will fit in a two seater do ya :) :) :)

Bring her over when you get her (whatever she is)...

Rich

I actually would go with the Maserati Quattroporte (the big 4 door). It is comparable to your current benz, but with a more edgy look. I know that is not on your list, but thought I would bring it up.

Also - have you thought about an AMG version of an E or S (or CL) class - you would get the dependability and the speed you are looking for.

But if I had to choose between the two you put down - I would go the Bentley - It has classier looks, decent sedan performance and not run of the mill here in Cincy (of course either is the Maser for that matter.)

I just like the thought of having a 4 door... What if you come to pick me up and we have 2 other people... You don't think my big ... Shoulders (and Ass) will fit in a two seater do ya :) :) :)

Bring her over when you get her (whatever she is)...

Rich

Hey Rich Ive got a better idea...you and I both share a common theme, asses are as big as our egos we will come pick you up in our Pervost bus!!

Hey Rich Ive got a better idea...you and I both share a common theme, asses are as big as our egos we will come pick you up in our Pervost bus!!

That would work :) :)

if this is your life's hardest decision, you must have a good life.

Go Bentley.

Well I wouldn't say it's my HARDEST decision Ive ever made :lol2:

I'd say go for the Bentley. Your coming from a S-class which is large, heavy and roomy. The bentley will give the same feel but 200% more satisfaction and feel. The Flying Spur's 550hp W12 is no joke, the car is VERY quick. You also get the opinion of taking 2 more people along with you, and the back is gorgeous with the 4 seater option. The maserati is more sporty, versatile and easier to throw around. They are two very different cars btw. I personally love the flying spur and am sure it would make a excellent daily driver. Just my 2 cents.

And what kind of build quality does the Maser have? I would pick the M, but first year of production+an Italian car could be a problematic combo. The B is probably bulletproof, and great quality, but it looks a bit too mainstream compared to the Arnage.