VBOX TIMES

I think allan got a time of 7.4 60-130mph, bearing in mind that you can definitely go faster( as seen on the slower 0-60 time than on your first vbox records) than that and the slr is modded I think it´s quite safe to say that a stock slr and LP are afterall not that far apart from each other.

Good job!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks B. I still think the SLR is faster than the LP though. It was fun doing the runs though.

I agree, SLR is faster, but not by much. If you did a power launch, a quarter mile time would be right around 11.6, 11.7 seconds.

Wow!! 128 mph trap is damn fast. That settles the argument regarding LP vs SLR.... they are both in the same speed class. On a drag strip though, the trap would be slightly lower due to the prepped running service. Great job again Aaron!! :icon_thumleft:

You of all people should know that comparing VBOX runs to actual 1/4 mile dragstrip results is NOT one and the same. For example, Dan C recorded a better time and trap speed than the lp640 with his 6.0 Diablo. If you believe that is possible.... well then.... I dunno what to tell you. And again we are comparing runs from 2 extremely different conditions.

Anyways good job on the runs!!! Without checking back I think you recorded 60-130 in 7.4 sec in your SL65 didnt you? Inmo, and from what we saw here in AZ between my stock SLR and the Renntech Sl65, no bullshit, my SLR stock was slightly faster. We also know that my SLR was SLOWER stock than SECC Joes GT2, which recorded a 60-130time of 6.4 sec. In a similar race he was approx 2 cars ahead of the SLR at 140, after the 2 were neck and neck to about 100mph. Inmo, the SLR would have faired somehwere in between the 2, maybe right around 7seconds in the same stretch. Modified hopefully somewhere close to SECC Joes Gt2 time.

Maybe we can all send a mass email to FTVROB asking him to hook up the Vbox to his stock SLR as he will not repsond.

Also MR Vroom, since you have a Vbox down there, how about hooking it up in your car when you do some real dragstrip passes so we can see how accurate it is?

You of all people should know that comparing VBOX runs to actual 1/4 mile dragstrip results is NOT one and the same. For example, Dan C recorded a better time and trap speed than the lp640 with his 6.0 Diablo. If you believe that is possible.... well then.... I dunno what to tell you. And again we are comparing runs from 2 extremely different conditions.

Also MR Vroom, since you have a Vbox down there, how about hooking it up in your car when you do some real dragstrip passes so we can see how accurate it is?

Thats what I said.... the LP would trap less at the strip. Dunno about the Diablo, but Aaron knows the vbox inside out, and backs up his times with the supporting data. So, I don't think we can dispute his quarter mile time/speed.

Good idea about the strip and vbox. Next time I go, I will take it along. :icon_thumleft:

127-128 mph trap without a power launch? wow. im sure on the strip, 126 is a healthy goal.

127-128 mph trap without a power launch? wow. im sure on the strip, 126 is a healthy goal.
I think it will hit 124-125 tops.

Anyways good job on the runs!!! Without checking back I think you recorded 60-130 in 7.4 sec in your SL65 didnt you? Inmo, and from what we saw here in AZ between my stock SLR and the Renntech Sl65, no bullshit, my SLR stock was slightly faster. We also know that my SLR was SLOWER stock than SECC Joes GT2, which recorded a 60-130time of 6.4 sec. In a similar race he was approx 2 cars ahead of the SLR at 140, after the 2 were neck and neck to about 100mph. Inmo, the SLR would have faired somehwere in between the 2, maybe right around 7seconds in the same stretch. Modified hopefully somewhere close to SECC Joes Gt2 time.

Maybe we can all send a mass email to FTVROB asking him to hook up the Vbox to his stock SLR as he will not repsond.

My best 60-130mph in the SL65 is 7.48 seconds. This time along with it's 100-200 km/h time is quite a bit faster than any recorded stock SLR time that I have seen. Keep in mind that when I first went out and did 60-130mph runs in the SL65 my best time was 8.45 seconds. The times got better as I got more experienced and with better conditions. I think that with better conditions and more practice a 7.8 sec might be possible in the LP. I would love for an SLR owner to go out and get some 60-130mph times for comparison.

The quarter mile that I ran was just for fun, I was not intending it to be a valid comparison to your SLR runs at the strip. My prediction on your SLR's 60-130mph times out there in high elevation and high temps would be around 8 seconds stock and 7 seconds modded. Here I think it would run 7.7 stock and 6.7 modded.

This article shows a stock SLR running 0-130mph in 12.51 seconds, I was able to get 0-130mph today in the LP in 12.3sec.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...nz_slr_mclaren/

The quarter in that article was 11.60 @127.2. 0.3 seconds faster than my 11.9 quarter time. The 0-60 for the SLR was 3.61 seconds, 0.3 faster than what the LP got on my quarter mile run. Pretty even after the launch and 60mph and the trap speeds were almost identical. This isnt like anything conclusive, just interesting.

Aaron

from the experience we had in az with both a renntech sl600 and a renntech sl65 the slr was faster than either. as you could see with your sl65 you were able to improve your times quite a bit from your initial run which was in most part due to the 47 degree temp you ran in. when I ran my slr in similar conditions in la at sea level it was faster than it is modded in az. the temps at which I ran the slr in az were double at which you ran.

from the experience we had in az with both a renntech sl600 and a renntech sl65 the slr was faster than either. as you could see with your sl65 you were able to improve your times quite a bit from your initial run which was in most part due to the 47 degree temp you ran in. when I ran my slr in similar conditions in la at sea level it was faster than it is modded in az. the temps at which I ran the slr in az were double at which you ran.

Some corrections Allan,

The temp was 60 degrees when I ran 7.48 sec. The 47 degrees was when I ran 7.78. When I ran the 8.45 the temp was 57 degrees. Its not just about temps, its also about practice and experience and figuring out how to run it the best.

Aaron

Some corrections Allan,

The temp was 60 degrees when I ran 7.48 sec. The 47 degrees was when I ran 7.78. When I ran the 8.45 the temp was 57 degrees. Its not just about temps, its also about practice and experience and figuring out how to run it the best.

Aaron

other than starting in the right gear and holding on, what more is there to do differently in an autobox car? in the slr I would either start in 2nd or 3rd to skip a shift . you shaved a second from a roll on run which is massive that leads to believe that either road conditions or temps drasticly changed or the vbox isn't necessarily accurate.

other than starting in the right gear and holding on, what more is there to do differently in an autobox car? in the slr I would either start in 2nd or 3rd to skip a shift . you shaved a second from a roll on run which is massive that leads to believe that either road conditions or temps drasticly changed or the vbox isn't necessarily accurate.

There are other factors involved, like what gear you start in, whether you shift yourself or let the autobox do it, there are other conditions like humidity, pressure etc that affect times, there is having traction control on or off, there is what mph you start at to get going, there is the amount of gas in your car, there is the ecu learning your driving habits, there is windspeed, there is road conditions, and probably many other things I am forgetting.

Aaron

There are other factors involved, like what gear you start in, whether you shift yourself or let the autobox do it, there are other conditions like humidity, pressure etc that affect times, there is having traction control on or off, there is what mph you start at to get going, there is the amount of gas in your car, there is the ecu learning your driving habits, there is windspeed, there is road conditions, and probably many other things I am forgetting.

Aaron

yes but inmo, neither of us are first timers behind the wheel of our cars. before going to do these runs for example I know I'd have to turn off the t/c , let the car in sport mode shift it self, the ecu already knows my driving style etc. so inno the BIGGEST differences would be outside difference like temp, altitude, road level, even gas since you have 93 and I'm on 91. unfortunately my damn car is now worthless as its no longer a fair comparison. but I did everything I could to get any lp owners to run my slr when it was bone stock. I took it to events where they were supposed to show but no one would. I tried to get anyone to meet me for almost 6 months.

inmo the power launch won't help mph it will help et.

:eusa_think:

Aaron, did you get much wheel spin when you did your launches (ie 0-60 in 3.7)?

from the videos we have seen of egear LP640s launching (one being sportauto, the other being top gear), the car gets a lot more wheel spin than compared to a regular takeoff.in which case, doesnt wheel spin = better trap?

:eusa_think:

Aaron, did you get much wheel spin when you did your launches (ie 0-60 in 3.7)?

from the videos we have seen of egear LP640s launching (one being sportauto, the other being top gear), the car gets a lot more wheel spin than compared to a regular takeoff.in which case, doesnt wheel spin = better trap?

From what I can tell, I get a small chirp, but no real wheelspin. On a power launch I am sure there would be some wheel spin.

Aaron

yes but inmo, neither of us are first timers behind the wheel of our cars. before going to do these runs for example I know I'd have to turn off the t/c , let the car in sport mode shift it self, the ecu already knows my driving style etc. so inno the BIGGEST differences would be outside difference like temp, altitude, road level, even gas since you have 93 and I'm on 91. unfortunately my damn car is now worthless as its no longer a fair comparison. but I did everything I could to get any lp owners to run my slr when it was bone stock. I took it to events where they were supposed to show but no one would. I tried to get anyone to meet me for almost 6 months.

Well honestly I wasn't as good at getting the most out of my cars until I started getting serious with the vbox runs. If you noticed, my SL65 and TTG times got progressively better over time. I hear you about your efforts to get the LP640 owners to run, but I havent seen any other SLR owners step up either, so me and you are of a different breed I suppose.

You might find this interesting. I just checked the graph of my SL65 to see what it's 100-200km/h was, and it was 6.51 seconds. The LPs 100-200km/h was 6.58 seconds in worse conditions. The reason the SL65's 60-130mph was so much better is because the LP640 has to shift right at the end of the 60-130mph. I still think that the SL65 is a decent amount faster than the LP under 100, but the higher the speed the more even it becomes.

Looking at the runs from a 60-125mph standpoint to eliminate the shift penalty of the LP640, we see that the LP gains ground during the 100-125mph portion.

SL65

60-100mph 3.59 sec

100-125mph 3.17 sec

6.76 sec total

LP640

60-100mph 3.78 sec

100-125mph 3.09 sec

6.87 sec total

Aaron

this is the other one, hope it works.

sportauto lp640

Cool launches, definitely both power launches, I am not sure how much that launch will help the mph in the quarter. I think that a lot depends on shifting, because the LP has to shift right before the end of the quarter, which is a huge penalty. Looking at my quarter mile run I shifted a bit early at 122.7 mph, on my 60-130mph run I shifted right at 124.4 mph.

Aaron

I have a question about the LP640...

does the car redline at 8300 rpm or 8000? when it originally came out I heard it redlined at 8000 and also made max power at 8000 (and thus getting the most out of it was very difficult, according to a couple reviews), but from most of the pics ive seen, redline is at 8300. was there a change? what does your car do?

Well honestly I wasn't as good at getting the most out of my cars until I started getting serious with the vbox runs. If you noticed, my SL65 and TTG times got progressively better over time. I hear you about your efforts to get the LP640 owners to run, but I havent seen any other SLR owners step up either, so me and you are of a different breed I suppose.

You might find this interesting. I just checked the graph of my SL65 to see what it's 100-200km/h was, and it was 6.51 seconds. The LPs 100-200km/h was 6.58 seconds in worse conditions. The reason the SL65's 60-130mph was so much better is because the LP640 has to shift right at the end of the 60-130mph. I still think that the SL65 is a decent amount faster than the LP under 100, but the higher the speed the more even it becomes.

Looking at the runs from a 60-125mph standpoint to eliminate the shift penalty of the LP640, we see that the LP gains ground during the 100-125mph portion.

SL65

60-100mph 3.59 sec

100-125mph 3.17 sec

6.76 sec total

LP640

60-100mph 3.78 sec

100-125mph 3.09 sec

6.87 sec total

Aaron

The SLR and Lp debate is easy though. We are on Lambo board, with MANY lp640 owners, not an SLR board. Fact is that MOST exotic owners dont run their cars like we do, regardless of what they own.

The SLR and Lp debate can go on forever.

I have a question about the LP640...

does the car redline at 8300 rpm or 8000? when it originally came out I heard it redlined at 8000 and also made max power at 8000 (and thus getting the most out of it was very difficult, according to a couple reviews), but from most of the pics ive seen, redline is at 8300. was there a change? what does your car do?

I dont know where it redlines, the car hits the rev limiter before the needle hits the red on the tach. So the tach must be off.

Aaron

I dont know where it redlines, the car hits the rev limiter before the needle hits the red on the tach. So the tach must be off.

Aaron

Did you notice how badly the speedo is off?

Did you notice how badly the speedo is off?

On the LP640 the speedo is off 9% the dash computer is tied to the speedo, but the odometer is correct it picks up off of a different sensor. The GPS has a built in speedo and is dead on. As an example 155 Mpr on speedo is 142 Mpr. on GPS