LP640 skid plates

mhh

OK, plates just arrived and look great. I fitted them with double sided tape to see what they look like and the fit is perfect. I'll now get the dealer to fit them with the bolts supplied and (hopefully) get some pics on the hoist as well as at street level.

They are very light, thin enough not to be obvious and have a bevelled leading edge. When fitted they look like a stock fitment - at least in the dusk light.

I'll be back in a few days with pics and a road test.

post-254-1213171213_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213171286_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, plates just arrived and look great. I fitted them with double sided tape to see what they look like and the fit is perfect. I'll now get the dealer to fit them with the bolts supplied and (hopefully) get some pics on the hoist as well as at street level.

They are very light, thin enough not to be obvious and have a bevelled leading edge. When fitted they look like a stock fitment - at least in the dusk light.

I'll be back in a few days with pics and a road test.

great work mark, look forward to seeing the pics :eusa_dance:

Just emailed Dave for the same. Gonna get these for my upcoming LP in India.

Thanks guys.. Waiting for the reviews.

Got the plates fitted by Lamborghini Adelaide today. It took longer than expected as no-one has installed these plates before here- about 4 hours. The tech said he could do it faster next time now he knows what to do.

The main problem is that to fit the nuts to the supplied bolts, an undertray needs to be removed to allow access to the inside of the bar. It is glued in place with sealant and rivets and took some getting out. It then needed to be re-installed afterwards and new goo used to seal it up again, plus the rivets.

I asked the tech to fit the plates as far back as possible to make them invisible when standing right in front of the car. This mean modding the plates slightly to allow access to the rivet holes.

Because the job took longer than expected it was 6pm and dark when I drove out. I haven't road tested it yet but I will on the weekend. When you see the battle scars on the underside of the lip after 10,000km, you realise that something needs to be done to protect it. I hope this does the job.

post-254-1213347858_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213347879_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213347906_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213347954_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213348015_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213348050_thumb.jpg

post-254-1213351643_thumb.jpg

i'd be happy with that mark, looks ex factory. mine must of had a similar type before i bought it, they just got the colour wrong.

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/lamborghini...g12208#msg12208

I drove the car yesterday on a road where I knew I could bottom the front lip and the plates do the trick nicely. They are made of nylon and have good wear resistance - I could only just see where the plate had touched the road.

If you don't want to see them, make sure the tech fits them well back. Daniel Romeo at Solitaire fitted mine and he suggested your installer calls him before starting work and he can save him some time. His number is (08) 8152 5100.

I have been emailing Dave for some time now with no response from his side and I can't call him on his phone number due to the time differences.

Can any one help?

I drove the car yesterday on a road where I knew I could bottom the front lip and the plates do the trick nicely. They are made of nylon and have good wear resistance - I could only just see where the plate had touched the road.

If you don't want to see them, make sure the tech fits them well back. Daniel Romeo at Solitaire fitted mine and he suggested your installer calls him before starting work and he can save him some time. His number is (08) 8152 5100.

thanks for the info mark, but as my car already had a few scratches when i bought her, and since i'm not re-painting, i'm not too fussed about it :)

i'll just live with the marks for now

scud your car is insane!

I haven't seen it around, do you drive it much?

sometimes to work and back. there is a lambo run coming up soon, think i will go to that.

sometimes to work and back. there is a lambo run coming up soon, think i will go to that.

when is it on? Maybe I will come if I am not busy.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

Saw this old posting and am thinking of getting some skid plates installed while I am in service for tires. Any experience, pros & cons? I was initially thinking it may take away from the appearance of the car, but they seem very thin and actually look pretty good on the LP640 from photos. Dealership says they are riveted to the front underside.

Saw this old posting and am thinking of getting some skid plates installed while I am in service for tires. Any experience, pros & cons? I was initially thinking it may take away from the appearance of the car, but they seem very thin and actually look pretty good on the LP640 from photos. Dealership says they are riveted to the front underside.

I have some. They are barely visible and do not detract from the look of the car.

Only downside is that you have to drill holes in your bumper.

Only downside is that you have to drill holes in your bumper.

That's true, but if I ever sell the car I figure if the new owner doesn't like it then just take it off and plug the holes and repaint the underside. However I would think they would be a minor plus on resale to have them on the car. There are some very minor scrapes there already from prior ownership, so for perfection for someone wanting to stick their nose under the car it would need some smoothing & repaint there anyway if it was removed. As far as appearance, it is so thin and flush in looking at some google images that it looks like it should have came that way from the factory anyway. I think I may just go and get them put on, as who knows the day I may encounter a dip at speed or some unexpected hump I can't maneuver well. That dip at Laguna made me think about it some more where I see the pavement carved out from other cars, and the front of the LP640 is pretty low and long like a snow shovel. If they were any thicker like on the MBZ SL for instance, then I wouldn't want them on. Just looked back at my photos of this car I was considering before getting mine which I now see had them installed, and so at least here I can see what it would look like on a green car.

34654007981_ebf6bacc9a_b.jpgSkid Plate by JanDaMan, on Flickr

34623937652_1acc71c46c_b.jpgSkid Plates by JanDaMan, on Flickr

A few holes in the bottom of the bumper are better than destroyed carbon. The LP is MUCH worse at scraping than the pre-LP cars.

I'm trying out new, softer skid plates. Will post up some pictures when they are on.

A few holes in the bottom of the bumper are better than destroyed carbon. The LP is MUCH worse at scraping than the pre-LP cars.

I'm trying out new, softer skid plates. Will post up some pictures when they are on.

Nick let me know how you go with this i would be interested in taking a look at them once i get my front bar repaired.