Early Vipers (92'-96')

Lightning

I got a lead this morning on a 1995 RT10 with only 20k miles for what seems like a great price (can be had for 25-27k). It is out of state and privately owned, but a friend of mine who looked into it said it looks like a pretty sound deal.

Anyone know anything about these earlier cars? Any known common problems? How are they in terms of reliability? How easily can they be serviced, and further more, what do service costs generally run?

I had heard the earlier cars actually dont have glass windows, and have "zip-in" windows instead (which is why they are usually only seen with their top off in "roadster" style). How much of a PITA are these?

Does the power increase they recieved in 97 make it worth paying the extra for a later car? How are they in terms of performance nowadays? Fun to drive factor?

I am MOST interested in the boards opinion on price. I would think these earlier cars would be almost fully depreciated by now correct? Would 25-27k be considered a "STEAL" for that car? Is that just an "OK" deal? etc. I am having trouble locating decent pricing information on that year.

Just considering a new "toy" to keep my sanity, any advice/pointers would be appreciated! :)

I got a lead this morning on a 1995 RT10 with only 20k miles for what seems like a great price (can be had for 25-27k). It is out of state and privately owned, but a friend of mine who looked into it said it looks like a pretty sound deal.

Anyone know anything about these earlier cars? Any known common problems? How are they in terms of reliability? How easily can they be serviced, and further more, what do service costs generally run?

I had heard the earlier cars actually dont have glass windows, and have "zip-in" windows instead (which is why they are usually only seen with their top off in "roadster" style). How much of a PITA are these?

Does the power increase they recieved in 97 make it worth paying the extra for a later car? How are they in terms of performance nowadays? Fun to drive factor?

I am MOST interested in the boards opinion on price. I would think these earlier cars would be almost fully depreciated by now correct? Would 25-27k be considered a "STEAL" for that car? Is that just an "OK" deal? etc. I am having trouble locating decent pricing information on that year.

Just considering a new "toy" to keep my sanity, any advice/pointers would be appreciated! :)

I had a 1994 RT10 a few years back with only 5k miles on it ended up selling for 36k....

The car was a blast to drive and was also pretty quick. Around here in PA, driving a Viper is like driving a Lamborghini...the most exotic thing...as sad that sounds. The zip windows is true...never did I have the roof on or the windows on except for going to Pittsburgh (45min each way) in the fall...it was cold out and with the heat blasting we managed to be just fine. I always stored it with a cover and kept good care of it, it was fine as so.

I would say go for it if you can, but remember to really step out of the damn thing or those side pipes will get you everytime!! :icon_fU:

The 95's were the last year before the two tone cars I belive? The GTS came out in 96 so it wont hvae the wind up windows as of yet. As for maintanace, one of my best friends has a 96 GTS and states that to hvae them serviced, you have to pay the "Viper Tax" since everything isnt quite as cheap as a regular dodge. Other then the occasional engine block that likes to leave oil slicks on your driveway I havent heard of many have many, if any at all problems. The engine block is a beast and the 400bhp the original Gen1 vipers put out really wasnt pushing the car too hard. Its a beast of a car to drive but definitely a fun one that will still grab TONS of attention.

Yeah that one will likely have the zip up windows, but I believe there are swap out options for them.

The car will be dead nuts reliable for well over 100k miles. People talk about the "viper tax" b/s, and yes there are actual viper techs, but these cars are ridiculously simple to service by anyone with half a brain.

What color is it?

I would personally look for a Gen II, (97-02, but specifically 97-99). They have airbags, more power, better suspension, and a few other little changes.

If it's a one owner car, be wary that it might still be on stock tires. If it is, ditch them immediately, they are the #1 cause for wrapping the car around a pole.

If you get bored with the power, for ~$15k it will put over 800hp to the wheels on pump gas.

If you get one that is well taken care of, vipers seem to be very problem free. Granted if something does go wrong, it might be a little pricey but nothing compared to a Lambo or Ferrari. The price seems very good for the mileage and if it is in great condition. The only issue I can think of with the Gen I's is the head gasket.

Head gaskets were an issue with older Vipers.

Also you can get hard windows and hardtop for the Gen 1 for about 3K

Also depends on what you like better, I personally love the hardtop 97-02 Vipers but they still hold a premium

Thank you for the info guys! :) Although I do like the GTS, I have always loved the roadsters. :) That open roof is almost a must-have for me.

This definitely does seem like a good price. Although I would LOVE to get a 97+, please keep in mind that as mentioned, they are usually $10k over what I would be able to buy this one for, so there is a little bit of a trade-off despite the obvious benifits of the newer cars. ;) With the price of 2003 SRT-10's now in the low 40's, these cars are definitely becoming bargains and HUGE bangs for the buck in terms of performance. I am really ONLY considering this one due to the low sale price (From what I have seen on EBAY and the Viperalley forums, it almost seems as though this car could be driven for a year or two and still be sold for its asking price. Most of the comparable 93-96 cars I have seen are in the 29-35k range).

Im still getting some info from the seller in terms of service history, paintwork, tire life, etc. so I will keep you posted! Again any and all info from owners/ex-owners/enthusiasts etc. is appreciated!!! :)

these cars are definitely becoming bargains and HUGE bangs for the buck in terms of performance.

I with Mike, I am considering buying a 96 or 97 GTS or a 97 RT, blue with white stripes a must have color combo. Any info would be appreciated from me as well. Thanks in advance, Vic

I with Mike, I am considering buying a 96 or 97 GTS or a 97 RT, blue with white stripes a must have color combo. Any info would be appreciated from me as well. Thanks in advance, Vic

Vic you are right. That blue/white stripe color combo is definitely a must have, that has been my favorite combo for years. :)

The car i am considering is just a common Red RT-10 w/ a grey interior. I would have preferred black, but IMO the Viper looks good in any color. :)

The 96 GTS's hold their value really well because they are the very first GTS's released. My buddy (and member here Kroger) has a 96 GTS with around 40K on it and really hasnt had many problems. I would have to say 96 probably has to be one of the most deviated priced years due to the models out that year. The RT/10's came in the 2 tone color schemes and I know the red with yellow wheels hold a special place in alot of the collectors hearts. The GTS's are the only year that the 2 stripes run through the area the license place goes in and everyone loves first year models as collectables. One thing I like better about the Gen1 and Gen2 vipers as compared to the 3 and 4 is the interior. Surprisingly the first body style as more interior room then the current body.

The RT/10's came in the 2 tone color schemes and I know the red with yellow wheels hold a special place in alot of the collectors hearts.

Don't want to dis anyones personal taste but I am not a fan of the (red & yellow) McVipers. I even have reservations on the blue and white RT just because of the blue steering wheel and shifter.

The GTS's look very sexy IMO but I have never had a roadster and would like the fact of just removing the top when desired. The only drawback I have heard with the RT's is that they rattle much more than the GTS's because of the removable top.

Don't want to dis anyones personal taste but I am not a fan of the (red & yellow) McVipers. I even have reservations on the blue and white RT just because of the blue steering wheel and shifter.

The GTS's look very sexy IMO but I have never had a roadster and would like the fact of just removing the top when desired. The only drawback I have heard with the RT's is that they rattle much more than the GTS's because of the removable top.

Oh, dont get me wrong, that isnt my cup of tea either. To be perfectly honest id want an 07 or later RT/10 because they came with the 450bhp engine from the GTS. The McVipers were only so collectable because they were so rare. Nothing more! :icon_thumleft:

Head Gasket would have already been taken care of under warranty on that car, if it had any issues to begin with.

96-97' cars have a more aggressive cam than the 98-99, though all 96-99 cars have forged pistons stock.

00-02 got lame cams and cast pistons, as well as ABS on the 01-02, but better brakes.

If you look hard, you can find some 97-99 GTS' in the low 30's. IMO, those are the years to look for purely because the motor will handle some serious power without pulling a valve cover.

Either way enjoy it, you'll have a bad ass car for ~$25grr

Oh, but for the love of god ditch those horrid stock wheels. Look for scorched paint on the side sills right by the door pivot. The cats are under there and they get HOT.

Thanks again for the info guys!!!! :icon_pidu: Still on the fence about this one but I am definitely much more informed now!! :icon_thumleft: :)

A little late to the conversation but...

I would have to say no to a Gen one. Harder to find parts, head gasket issues (can happen at anytime if it hasn't been done already), bare bones interiors and average performance.

As a 4 time (96,99,01,01) and current owner of a Gen 2 ACR I would pay the little extra and go with a 01 or 02 with ABS and all the refinements throughout the years.

Also, prices are all over the place (15 to 25K difference) based on rarity, condition and miles. Like most sports cars, you get what you pay for. You may think you have a deal but to get the car "up to snuff" you may have to drop 5K+ to feel comfortable that you have good tires, brakes, fluids etc., etc.

If you find an example...post up the info and let us take a look see.

I have a 96 RT/10 white w/blue stripes. I think 28k miles. Clear title, but it has had front end damage. It was fully repaired. Front bumper needs paint as it has a bumper from a red car now, it was painted white but some of the paint chipped off on the bottom. Engine has been rebuilt at arrow with upgraded cams and it has ECU tuning. When it was at Arrow head gaskets were replaced, it got new pistons, upgraded cams. It has an aftermarket roof. I no longer have the original top. It made 480rwhp on dyno and I think 490rwtq. 25k + shipping takes it.