Murci Ownership costs

Assman

With Murci prices dropping from their stratospheric highs and some decent ones available for 150k ish, my interest is piqued. What though are the prices of maintainence of the cars and the major problems. Since the Gallardo is so well built and livable, I wonder what the Murci is like?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Murci prices dropping from their stratospheric highs and some decent ones available for 150k ish, my interest is piqued. What though are the prices of maintainence of the cars and the major problems. Since the Gallardo is so well built and livable, I wonder what the Murci is like?

I have owned Murci for 44 months and have (knowck on wood) never taken it in for any service issues. I have had the clock spring on the door airbag wear out but its only a couple bucks. Other than that, just your routine filters and fluids being changed.

7000 miles and nothing but basic service! Been very trouble-free. The Diablo however, was another story ....

D.Wiggs - how many miles have you put on her? What model murci?

It's an '03 and I put almost 9,000 on since May 2005.

You all need to go buy lottery tickets or something. My 03 was PPI'd by a reputable Lamborghini dealer (not the seller) and still had a slew of 'issues' over just one year.

The Murcielago is the big dog but man she can be a finicky bitch. Flip a coin to determine if you'll be lucky or not.

Both my Gallardo and Murcie have been 100% trouble free (Just routine oil changes). IMO- Lamborghini produces the most reliable cars on the market.

My Beemer cost's me more to maintain.

I say step up and get one...if you can afford to buy one then you will be able to afford to maintain it. Just do not buy the cheapest one on the market. Do the PPI and be sure you know the history of the car. Everyone on the board here will help you out...just get the vin and everyone on the board will help you.

I bought my first true exotic when I was 27 years old....in 1997 I bought a 1994 Ferrari Spyder for $83k with 7k miles from Cavalino Classics in Scottsdale. The manager/salesperson (Gary Simon) did not even let me drive the car...he thought I could not afford it. I still negotiated with him, got the total amount with tax and tags. Came back two days later and took delivery of the car.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

The wife bought a new '04 Murcie and has put about 9,000 miles on it so far, nothing to do but annual fluid, filter changes.

Full service record of mine:

Next Oil Change - 1/2004 On delivery - Lexol leather conditioner on all leather, then CoverAll protectant. Wax with 3M all painted areas reachable, all cracks, underside, wheel wells, any reachable frame and suspension parts, rubber protectant, all areas reachable. 575 mi. 2/20/04 engine and trans/diff oils, all nuts and bots tightened, checked and cushioned lines and hoses. 2,700 miles 12/1/04, 0W-30 Mobil 1, change/flush brake fluid, all gear fluids. 11/11/05 4,200 Red Line 5W-20. 11/19/06 6,100mi 5W-20 RL, antifreeze x 2, PS/lift system fluid, replace improved anti-sway bar mounts. 3/7/08 7,700 mi. 0W20 RLI, spark plugs. 8/28/07 Sears Platinum Diehard.

Every winter, lexol to leather.

aehaas

I own an 03 Murcie. It has nearly never failed on me other than the time my shocks were leaking oil and that to becuase it was under used. Otherwise it's as solid as a rock. Rule of thumb is to drive and service it regularly.

Now is a good time to buy and your biggest expense is normally the depreciation. The market of those who 'need' to sell will dry up and prices will begin to rebound which should offset some if not all of your expenses if your buy right.

The market of those who 'need' to sell will dry up and prices will begin to rebound which should offset some if not all of your expenses if your buy right.

I have already seen this in the yachting world, slowly those who "HAVE" to sell are drying up and prices are creeping back up a bit. I really wonder if this will be the same with the mass produced "exotics", at least I hope!

I have already seen this in the yachting world, slowly those who "HAVE" to sell are drying up and prices are creeping back up a bit. I really wonder if this will be the same with the mass produced "exotics", at least I hope!

Yea, I was in the boat business in the early 80s and saw it happen. I also saw it happen with exotics at the same time. I had a friend who sold Ferraris and couldn't give them away at the time. Two years later he couldn't find cars fast enough.

Yea, I was in the boat business in the early 80s and saw it happen.

Do tell! My statement is based on the world not ending (economically at least) in 09, if things get as bad as some say (I hope not) there's going to be a whole new wave of people who "have" to sell right NOW! I'm praying what were beginning to experience right now (at least I think we are) is a small bounce in the economy that will preclude a bigger nose dive.

Do tell! My statement is based on the world not ending (economically at least) in 09, if things get as bad as some say (I hope not) there's going to be a whole new wave of people who "have" to sell right NOW! I'm praying what were beginning to experience right now (at least I think we are) is a small bounce in the economy that will preclude a bigger nose dive.

Sort of like the early 80s when inflation led to high interest rates to get it in check which started a long chain reaction. It began in 80 or 81 and didn't stop until 86. We were trading boats for anything because you just couldn't get a loan, but it did recover. Who knows this time what's going to happen. It's not static for sure.

We were trading boats for anything because you just couldn't get a loan, but it did recover.

What kind of boats? There is a bit of good news today, with all the bailout money that GMAC got, they've dropped the credit requirements for new car loans from 700+ beacon scores to 620, that should get things moving a little bit. Yacht loans are currently only available to those with near 800 beacon scores, this time last year you could write anyone with a 640 or better. Hopefully the recreational lending will loosen up as well, if not there will be NO boat business by the end of 09!

I have had my 03 Murci for 18 months and put 12,000 miles on it (odometer is at 15,500 miles now) . Besides the clutch going out after 2 months, it has been trouble free and expenses have been nominal. Here is a rough break down of what I spent:

Oil change 1k

new set of tires 2k

15k service 3k

Clutch 7k

I love the car and was very impressed with its reliability. I will keep the car forever.

What kind of boats? There is a bit of good news today, with all the bailout money that GMAC got, they've dropped the credit requirements for new car loans from 700+ beacon scores to 620, that should get things moving a little bit. Yacht loans are currently only available to those with near 800 beacon scores, this time last year you could write anyone with a 640 or better. Hopefully the recreational lending will loosen up as well, if not there will be NO boat business by the end of 09!

Mostly sailboats, 24-70', typical brokerage stuff. It was the first business I bought when I got out of college. I didn't make much, but I learned a lot.

I have had my 03 Murci for 18 months and put 12,000 miles on it (odometer is at 15,500 miles now) . Besides the clutch going out after 2 months, it has been trouble free and expenses have been nominal. Here is a rough break down of what I spent:

Oil change 1k

new set of tires 2k

15k service 3k

Clutch 7k

I love the car and was very impressed with its reliability. I will keep the car forever.

I remember your post when you got your car. Great to see you still so happy.

I love your post above. Thanks for writing.

i've had my murcie since b/new in 03 and have put 9000 miles. car has been bullet proof. just the regular oil/filter/other fluid changes. i had to replace the oxygen sensors as well but that's about it. biggest expense coming up is that i have to replace my tires -trying corsas this time. clutch seems ok. never launched the car and i take good care of the clutch so i hope it lasts a longer time. had a friend that launched his car and had to replace the clutch at only 8000km.

of course the regular maintenance check up from the dealer in the US is quite expensive. i recall when my car was still serviced there for it to be a minimum of $1500.00++. but since it's already here in the Philippines, i just go to a trusted shop and it's just like any regular car when changing its fluids. although i shared with another lambo owner to bring in a tech from abroad just to check with LDAS after 3 years and still nothing was wrong with the car. he just needed to adjust the idling so that the 2 banks were matched.

great car. i'm very pleased with its reliability.

:icon_thumleft:

I remember your post when you got your car. Great to see you still so happy.

I love your post above. Thanks for writing.

Double, good to see you back on the board... As I recall, you were the one who gave me the sound advice of having the car in top mechanical condition as a priority over the color. Glad I took your advice :icon_thumleft:

As people have stated the actual cash outlay is pretty small on a day to day basis (well, that is if your not upgrading this or that)

Do want to factor in depreciation? If you do then the cost of ownership is LARGE/MASSIVE.

What do you expect to loose in depreciation on your selected car over a year?

Personally depreciation was something I factored in at the start and im prepared to teabag. ^_^

Before the market crash, I estimated $10.00 a mile for my new LP Roadster if held three years with an average of 5,000 miles a year. With the market down, it's probably twice that for a new car, but may swing in the opposite direction if you buy right and cars start to dry up. There are a lot of us that won't sell our cars at low prices because we love them as it is and have no need to sell. Lamborghini will have a smaller market because fewer people will want cars that drop at $20.00 a mile and thus the market will shrink. At some point demand will come back if and when the economy comes back and prices will rebound. I have no idea if we'll ever get back to $10.00 a mile.

As people have stated the actual cash outlay is pretty small on a day to day basis (well, that is if your not upgrading this or that)

Do want to factor in depreciation? If you do then the cost of ownership is LARGE/MASSIVE.

What do you expect to loose in depreciation on your selected car over a year?

Personally depreciation was something I factored in at the start and im prepared to teabag. ^_^

Depreciation is not a worry. I consider that the price of ownership and it's a one time cost. I just don't want to be dumping money into a car to keep it running or because it breaks down all the time. It sounds like generally the Murci is well built.