Effect of the rear wing

DrVertigo

I have heard time and time again that the sound for the countach was dubbed.

Dubbed but it was the sound of a CT?

Dubbed or not? The answer is that we will Never know ( or at least some will never figure it out for themselves). This has been discussed MANY times on all the three big Lambo boards. Good arguments on both sides but personally I have to ask

why would they bother not using a Countach sound even if it was dubbed in? They didn't seem to have

access to any other car with a motor that could make a sound like that and we are not talking about a movie

that was made with extra money (they blew it all on the cast and renting the countach to begin with) so why

not use the car you have available. Plus some scenes from the opening title are obviously NOT dubbed. Like when

it is sitting at the speed limit sign. Every time the rpm is revved up the sound matches the oil smoke coming from the

tailpipes......they don't put that kind of interest into dubbing, believe me.

Some have argued that it is a F BBi or something but I have heard those and to me they certainly seem to have more of

that typical Ferrari sound....nice for sure, but very different from the Countach. This sounds like a Countach to me,

dubbed maybe because some shots could not be recorded with the car (from a helicopter for example) but a Countach for sure.

I was told today that the engine revving in Van Halens Panama was from Eddies CT, is that true?

it should be his LP400S

It was confirmed awhile it was a Ferrari engine.

Countach doesn't sound like that

Oh boy....Peter is crushing my dream :icon_mrgreen: :crybaby2:

We'll have to see if Tony shows up on this thread....he says he heard it last year

in person and it sounds the same as in the movie. At least, I think that's what he said.

It was confirmed awhile it was a Ferrari engine.

Countach doesn't sound like that

If thats what it is, I just removed the link from my bookmark. I dont understand, they could have used the CT sound if they had the car.

Actually, I truly think that the sound mics were placed in the intakes of the Countach. I have done this and the sound is almost exactly the same.

Brian

This is me heading off near Oxford..towards the end I think the harmonics are pretty similar to the Cannonball video..what do you think?

Great video!

This is me heading off near Oxford..towards the end I think the harmonics are pretty similar to the Cannonball video..what do you think?

yes it does sound similar and i dont see why they had to use a Ferrari if they had a CT on hand. Nonetheless it sounds phenomenal.

I'm just wondering if anyone here who's owned (or at least thoroughly driven) winged and wingless Countachs could comment on how much of an effect the rear wing has on the car's handling. Ostensibly it was to improve high speed stability, but was this ever really problematic in the Countach to begin with? Or was the high frequency of CTs specified with wings more to do with styling preferences?

If youre worried about performance, dont buy a twenty + year old car.... You can buy a new car off the shelf and outperform the CT wing or now wing, easily. If you're trying to squeeze the absolute best performance out of a car, there are thousands of better (and cheaper) choices available to play with.

So it comes down to aesthetics....

I like the look of the wing. So mine has a wing.

Oh boy....Peter is crushing my dream :icon_mrgreen: :crybaby2:

We'll have to see if Tony shows up on this thread....he says he heard it last year

in person and it sounds the same as in the movie. At least, I think that's what he said.

How many times do I have to say it?

The car has a custom exhaust...

I saw and heard it in person...

If people want to make claims about a car they have never seen in person....let them.

See you at the auction...

• 4 years later...
In may 1985, English magazine Motor had their hands on enthusiast Barry Robinsons winged red QV. On a banked circuit they achived a mere 155,1 mph (corner MIGHT rub og 5 mph). On a bit later test with the same car on the autobahn, it reached a tad over 160 mph. Since the car was supposed to top 183, they was of course not happy, so they dropped the wing with the result that they now managed 167,9. It had a bit more to give they thought, but the oil lamp was alight, so they backed off. IF they had gone for it, they thougt it would max at 170. Not more.

AND as for the dream of 200mph. MIRA put the car in their windtunel, and their discovery was that the car with no wing would need 600bhp to reach 200. They allso confirmed that with 455 it should reach 183 witch it not did, so I guess the aerodynamics really suck. As for directional stability they noticed no change under speed.

Hi, do you know any more details of the MIRA test? did they suggest or try any improvements?

would love to have some actual figures rather than the guesstimates often bandied about!

Jonathan