Billet Gallardo HIGH MPH Gears 247+ mph

Eric, I agree with you but I don't see any other tuner developing more stuff than UR. This entire forum is about dragracing, all everybody talks about are runway events and roll-on races - what differs that from building fast dragcars? I personally despise the fact turning theese cars into dragcars, I would much more see trackoriented cars being built here, so I agree with you.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, I agree with you but I don't see any other tuner developing more stuff than UR. This entire forum is about dragracing, all everybody talks about are runway events and roll-on races - what differs that from building fast dragcars? I personally despise the fact turning theese cars into dragcars, I would much more see trackoriented cars being built here, so I agree with you.

Me!!

Dude, you are kidding yourself, if you think 1300awhp of "raw power" can be "balanced". Have some fun but exercise caution too.... especially if you take that thing to a road course.

I think you misunderstood :( My point is that you can have a car WITH 1300awhp, and have balanced suspension, gearing, etc. - OBVIOUSLY you can't take 1300awhp car full out on a road course (at least I can't!!!). Just because you have 1300awhp, does not mean you have to use ALL of it at all times! The amount you use or can use clearly depends on the coarse, conditions, experience, etc. I am not anywhere close to a pro driver and I take my time learning the power, balance, etc. - you can end up in trouble in a hurry if you don't respect these cars.

In my OPINION, the CAR can be balanced so that it is drivable and NOT JUST a purpose built track/drag car - these beasts that Underground and others are creating are VERY drivable. Even my TT Viper drives like stock unless you lay into it - then of course it can become very unwieldy in a hurry! Kevin has told me several times "be careful, that Viper will bite you!" - and it will.

You can't control 800RWHP on a roadcourse neither...

Yep, a stock G is well balanced at 500 to 560hp, in fact even too much for most drivers w/o esp nanny control turned on. I had more fun tracking my stock G than my G-TT with 750rwhp. I was reaching crazy speeds on the straits(w/o roll cages, fire supression, 5pointers etc) but losing a lot of time in the corners.... even more after a spin out... no damage to the car, but a small bruise to the ego!

IMO, unless you are a pro driver, 600rwhp is more than enough power to take to a road course in a G.

Here's the way we look at it. We push all vehicle platforms to their absolute limits to find out where those limits are. We then develop and engineer components that augment the stock vehicle platform. The enhancements improve the durability and performance of the car an ALL power levels. You can view it as the Underground Racing Advanced Performance Vehicle Program. We have some elite customers who are asking us to do this.

1500 rwhp is not for everyone to be sure, but I can tell you that we can dead hook 1200 rwhp in a Gallardo on street tires from a 50 mph roll. Drop by the meet this weekend in Miami and I will be glad to demonstrate this to you. We build and sell a full range of TT power levels to suit each customer's desired performance. Don't perceive that we are just all about records and straight line performance. We are all about exploring the limits and enhancing all aspects of each vehicle platform to exceed each customer's expectations. Many of our builds are unique to a particular customer. We feel this flexibility has the greatest probability of putting customer's in the vehicle configuration that best meets their driving styles and performance requirements.

I have listed some of the advanced upgrades accomplished by only Underground Racing TT Gallardos at this point.

- Power

The power has been taken care of but we still want more even though we are at 1350 WHP and 900 AW on pump gas.

- Performance

The "standard" version Gallardo has gone a 9.9 in the 1/4 mile on regular street tires and had reached a MPH over 161 in the 1/4 mile. "R" version testing coming very soon.

- Suspension

The suspension has been take care of as we have worked with the Penske race suspension engineers to come up with the Penske suspension for the Gallardo and is the reason we are the exclusive dealer/distributor. IMO Penske suspension is second to none that's why I contacted them to help us on the first project. These sets up are for Road racing, street performance and drag racing. This is the ultimate set up with it corner handling and ESP corner exiting! It is the ultimate suspension upgrade IMO.

- Push button lift.

We are also about to release the push button lift for the early Gallardos that didn't have that option and for the customers with the newer Gallardos that want the Penske race suspension that cant live without the front lift control.

RippersHeffnerTTG016.jpg

- Motec ECU

There are so many things this full stand alone ECU can do its not even funny. Talking about making the best all around car? The traction control options on this unit are unbelievable as we will demonstrate soon. Not only that but to have full control over the TB's, camshafts and ETC. The Throttle response that we have is incredible now that we have control over the throttle bodies and they are so precise!! These are just some of the added bonuses and there are even more options that would take forever to list and explain.

NeraRfinal019.jpg

- Transmission

We have upgraded some important pieces in the Gallardo transmission that we have found necessary at the power levels we are at.

- Gear Ratio change. "as stated before"

One of the ONLY things I didn't like about the Gallardo was the gearing. While driving the first Gallardo "KYLE's" before we did the TT upgrade I did not like how it was geared. It seems like in 6th gear riding at 60-70 that the Gallardo was working to hard "to much RPM's" I found myself a few times reaching for another gear for a overdrive but caught myself already being in 6th gear. I knew at that point we would need to find a way to re gear the Gallardo at some point. I can tell you with the new gears that it is"Perfect" now!

Another thing that sucked was having to shift into 5th gear while racing it in the 1/4 mile. With the stock gears I was around 8100 in 5th crossing the line to go 161. With the new set up I will be able to finish the 1/4 mile in 4th gear @ 165-170 and no more shifting to 5th and blasting though the gears.... Now we are keeping it in the power range a lot longer with the extended gears!

Merci005.jpg

- Brakes

The brakes are taken care of as you know.. Not much improving to be done there. But we do have upgrades

I hope this answers the question of just having a straight line TT Gallardo. Also we are going to be doing some road course racing very soon to learn more. We are building a TT Gallardo for a well known Indy driver and we will be doing some track events and we will get plenty of video for all to see.

As you can tell we are extremely motivated and we are not near finished. Please stay tuned!

please dont get me wrong i have the utmost respct for you, you came out strong with your first gallardo and killing it as you learn more an push the boundries. i was just stating for myself as a car lover this is what i look for is balance as i like the track and canyons i appreciate handling more than a straight line drag, unless im schooling a tricked out FGT guy that didnt know what just happened at the light as i smoke right past him off the line, now that brings a smile to my ego. it is no doubt UGR will not be beat in the quarter mile by any tuner, you do clean work use the best of the best materials, no one can deny this and you know i am a heffner fan as he is a great friend. but if i trully wanted a straight line monster i would go with the viper. but that day will never come for me. you are correct you build cars to the specs and demands of your consumers so i guess i cant say your nuts but some of your customers are. but UGR should look at the liabilty one carries for building such a beast. as for 1300hp being driven on a track with a pro driver, not gonna happen even with the penske coilover. as i said it before your doing a hell of a job as it shows. my comment wasnt to knock you but just to point out my opinion, thats it.

please dont get me wrong i have the utmost respct for you, you came out strong with your first gallardo and killing it as you learn more an push the boundries. i was just stating for myself as a car lover this is what i look for is balance as i like the track and canyons i appreciate handling more than a straight line drag, unless im schooling a tricked out FGT guy that didnt know what just happened at the light as i smoke right past him off the line, now that brings a smile to my ego. it is no doubt UGR will not be beat in the quarter mile by any tuner, you do clean work use the best of the best materials, no one can deny this and you know i am a heffner fan as he is a great friend. but if i trully wanted a straight line monster i would go with the viper. but that day will never come for me. you are correct you build cars to the specs and demands of your consumers so i guess i cant say your nuts but some of your customers are. but UGR should look at the liabilty one carries for building such a beast. as for 1300hp being driven on a track with a pro driver, not gonna happen even with the penske coilover. as i said it before your doing a hell of a job as it shows. my comment wasnt to knock you but just to point out my opinion, thats it.

:iamwithstupid: well said

Eric: can you please PM me a discount code now ;)

That's why we have adjustable boost controllers. I can turn it down to whatever we want. If I want to run 1300+ at a runway event or standing mile I can.. If I want to turn it down to 700 to road race I can or just use the Motec traction control and it will ramp back up in the straights. Best of both worlds... ""ADJUSTABILITY"" without having to change MAPS..

Guest jbsteven1

that should end the line of discussion about too much power.

I'm really curious, all of you who think a 1300+ rwhp car is a rolling casket, that it's totally unusable on the street etc, have you ever really driven one?

Even the crazy brutal vipers are NOT bad to drive around. Hell I've driven a ~1300rwhp TT viper on drag radials in the F-in rain (by accident) and it was just fine. Stay out of the throttle and keep it below 3k and shes like a great white shark on xanax. Totally tame (for a viper anyway) and easy to drive.

It's all how you drive the car. Obviously you aren't going to power shift 2-3 at 5k rpm and expect it to react like a miata, but use a little bloody common sense here. There is absolutely NO reason you can't road race these high hp cars. Traction control, limiting boost by gear/speed, ramping in the boost all plays a HUGE role in taming the beast.

Nobody says you can't have multiple tunes at the flick of a switch. If you really want to have a wide range just use a small CO2 canister on the waste gates. That way you could run 4# springs and have it open on spring pressure on the lowest tune. From there you can dial it in to probably close to 8# just using manifold pressure on the gates. Hit it with the CO2 and those 4# spring are probably good to 20+ psi.

Why not be able to run a super tame low boost tune and double your hp by tuning a knob?

With some tuning there is no reason a TT couldn't run circles around a G-SL on a road course, especially when it bolts away like a scared jackrabbit on the straights.

I guess what I'm saying is don't ASSume what these highly tuned cars are like until you log a few miles in one. They really can be a ballet dancer that packs Tysons right hook when you want it to.

I have meant to post earlier but frankly, I can't stay out of my car. I have a freshly built Underground TT "R" Gallardo. The quality, performance, and reliability are top notch in every way.

For the last several weeks I have driven the car almost every day and have

not been easy on it in any way. There is no area of performance that has not been greatly enhanced over stock.

Part throttle, mid throttle, full throttle acceleration are all smooth and flawless.

The car doesn't leak, squeak, rattle or do anything it isn't supposed to do

except make unreal amounts of very usable power. The power levels are easily adjustable on the fly to suit whatever situation I may find myself in with the car. The best of all worlds. I run around at about 1100 rwhp with another 150 on tap if need be.

Kevin, KC and Crew by far have more than exceeded my expectations.

I don't get around this forum much anymore but if anyone wants more of my impressions or experiences with my new build send me a PM and I would be happy to answer your questions.

I'm really curious, all of you who think a 1300+ rwhp car is a rolling casket, that it's totally unusable on the street etc, have you ever really driven one?

Even the crazy brutal vipers are NOT bad to drive around. Hell I've driven a ~1300rwhp TT viper on drag radials in the F-in rain (by accident) and it was just fine. Stay out of the throttle and keep it below 3k and shes like a great white shark on xanax. Totally tame (for a viper anyway) and easy to drive.

It's all how you drive the car. Obviously you aren't going to power shift 2-3 at 5k rpm and expect it to react like a miata, but use a little bloody common sense here. There is absolutely NO reason you can't road race these high hp cars. Traction control, limiting boost by gear/speed, ramping in the boost all plays a HUGE role in taming the beast.

Nobody says you can't have multiple tunes at the flick of a switch. If you really want to have a wide range just use a small CO2 canister on the waste gates. That way you could run 4# springs and have it open on spring pressure on the lowest tune. From there you can dial it in to probably close to 8# just using manifold pressure on the gates. Hit it with the CO2 and those 4# spring are probably good to 20+ psi.

Why not be able to run a super tame low boost tune and double your hp by tuning a knob?

With some tuning there is no reason a TT couldn't run circles around a G-SL on a road course, especially when it bolts away like a scared jackrabbit on the straights.

I guess what I'm saying is don't ASSume what these highly tuned cars are like until you log a few miles in one. They really can be a ballet dancer that packs Tysons right hook when you want it to.

I agree that the cars can just as easily be street driven as a stock G. My car is soo easy to drive, no different than stock. If you excersize caution, are experienced with a very high Hp application all will be well. However, things happen VERY quickly, and things can get crazy very quickly. When you have people in stock Gallardos smashing into trees, imagine what would happen to those people behind the wheel of one of these monsters....

As for driving these cars on track, of course they can be, however you better be good, and the brakes, even upgraded will have a very hard time coping. I think what most people here mean is that most of us, myself included dont have the skill to drive a TT G full out on track day, and at our skill levels, its more fun to drive a stock car.

For me, my G is meant for straightline flat out blasts, and normal cruising...

Here are my thoughts:

All 3 tuners have done a phenominal job of setting the stage for what is yet to come. Heffner Building the worlds first TTG and improving upon his own build, Doug Levin for building the worlds first TT Murcie and improving upon his own build as well as offering a more inexpensive bolt on product for those who dont want to spend 50% of the value of their car on a TT build, and Underground for now building both and pushing them to their absolute limits.

All this talk of road courses makes me think the following:

Most people with TTG's are not road racer's, but wanted the extra power available to them so if anything short of a TT Viper (at over 1200rwhp), or a TTFGT (at over 1000rwhp), or a very minute batch of cars run into them, they can demolish them in a way that is almost insulting to a "normal" performance car. It truly is amazing when you think about it. Say you are in a 997GT2, and think you are the big dog on the street, and you see a Lamborghini and decide to race it. The amount of buslengths these cars would put on a GT2 are innumerable. In fact, the only factory cars that "somewhat compete" are the Veyron, and possibly a CCX that is it.

If a TTG owner really wanted to road race, a gear selective boost program is the only way to go. 2 lbs of boost first gear, 5 pounds in second gear, 8 lbs in 3rd gear, etc. etc. IMO you better have some VERY good CCB's/Racing Slicks on that car to make it work. Say you are in a straight at 10lbs in 4th gear, a stock car might only be able to get into the top of third gear by that point, so the brakes have to be THAT much better. Also, the weight of the car should be lower to be able to brake better (again-CCB's, dymags, racing seats with 5 points, etc.)

I believe the gears are a great idea for a TTG application especially if the first 3 gears are just a little longer than a stock 04 G.

I think all of the tuners should be applauded for what they are doing as if they hadn't started this Lamborghini revolution, any idiot with a $30,000 v-ette or $35,000 viper can spend $2,000 and have a much faster car than you. Sure the cost to do this is much higher, but the problem with Lamborghini of the past is they had exceptional looks, with OK power. Now you have both.

-Mike

I think your figures on the other cars are a bit off. You'll be $40k into the viper and $20k into that TT kit to lay 4 digits to the pavement. :D

I think your figures on the other cars are a bit off. You'll be $40k into the viper and $20k into that TT kit to lay 4 digits to the pavement. :D

I am talking a stock early model Gallardo/murcielago e-gear vs. an 03 Viper with headers/exhaust, and a 03 Plastic mess-06 with the same. The american cars can both "hang" if not beat many early model gallardos/murcielagos for almost nothing. The american cars may not look the best, but for the investment you put into a lamborghini, it should be the top of the food chain in looks AND performance. That is why the TT kit is SO good.

An example: a friend of mine has a 2008 v-ette ($38,000 CAR). Intake/Performance Exhaust-came with car/Headers/3" X pipe with no cats/ Predator Tune-will beat stock 04-08 (Non SL) Gallardos/F430's all day long. He will also slowly pull a stock Z-0-6. If you dont believe me, I can get it on video this Sunday.

Here are my thoughts:

All 3 tuners have done a phenominal job of setting the stage for what is yet to come. Heffner Building the worlds first TTG and improving upon his own build, Doug Levin for building the worlds first TT Murcie and improving upon his own build as well as offering a more inexpensive bolt on product for those who dont want to spend 50% of the value of their car on a TT build, and Underground for now building both and pushing them to their absolute limits.

All this talk of road courses makes me think the following:

Most people with TTG's are not road racer's, but wanted the extra power available to them so if anything short of a TT Viper (at over 1200rwhp), or a TTFGT (at over 1000rwhp), or a very minute batch of cars run into them, they can demolish them in a way that is almost insulting to a "normal" performance car. It truly is amazing when you think about it. Say you are in a 997GT2, and think you are the big dog on the street, and you see a Lamborghini and decide to race it. The amount of buslengths these cars would put on a GT2 are innumerable. In fact, the only factory cars that "somewhat compete" are the Veyron, and possibly a CCX that is it.

If a TTG owner really wanted to road race, a gear selective boost program is the only way to go. 2 lbs of boost first gear, 5 pounds in second gear, 8 lbs in 3rd gear, etc. etc. IMO you better have some VERY good CCB's/Racing Slicks on that car to make it work. Say you are in a straight at 10lbs in 4th gear, a stock car might only be able to get into the top of third gear by that point, so the brakes have to be THAT much better. Also, the weight of the car should be lower to be able to brake better (again-CCB's, dymags, racing seats with 5 points, etc.)

I believe the gears are a great idea for a TTG application especially if the first 3 gears are just a little longer than a stock 04 G.

I think all of the tuners should be applauded for what they are doing as if they hadn't started this Lamborghini revolution, any idiot with a $30,000 v-ette or $35,000 viper can spend $2,000 and have a much faster car than you. Sure the cost to do this is much higher, but the problem with Lamborghini of the past is they had exceptional looks, with OK power. Now you have both.

-Mike

i agree the gears was an accomplishment, but the Motec was right on the money. i know the motec is freaking exspeive but i believe its worth it for a TTG.

Oh I completely believe you, the american cars are pretty detuned from the factory and it's easy to nab nearly 100hp from them.

The 03' + viper is fugly. I was thinking more along the dead sexy GTS lines. A 97-99 with minor mods will lay low 5's to the wheels. It gets fun when for $6k you can get into the 7's.

I agree, a TT lambo is about the baddest street car around in terms of overall performance. Just watch out getting caught on pump gas by those TT Vipers. They can be so quiet and stealthy till it hazes the tires and throws rubber chunks back at 100mph haha

Oh I completely believe you, the american cars are pretty detuned from the factory and it's easy to nab nearly 100hp from them.

The 03' + viper is fugly. I was thinking more along the dead sexy GTS lines. A 97-99 with minor mods will lay low 5's to the wheels. It gets fun when for $6k you can get into the 7's.

I agree, a TT lambo is about the baddest street car around in terms of overall performance. Just watch out getting caught on pump gas by those TT Vipers. They can be so quiet and stealthy till it hazes the tires and throws rubber chunks back at 100mph haha

Yes but the GTS is a chore to drive. Especially on the highway. It follows road grooves and is too much of a pain IMO. It looks better than the SRT, but they somewhat fixed that problem at least with the newer cars.

Regarding the TT Vipers, UGR has already said the NERA car is faster than the street build Vipers they have. It is also a 900AWHP car on pump gas. So if this is where Gallardo tuners will be going in the future, it would be the Viper owners that need to watch out. Especially if they get caught from a stoplight or a slow roll. On the highway around 80-90 it will be anyones race though. Remember a 1300+AWHP car will be MUCH faster than a 1300RWHP car at any speed.

If you know of any REALLY fast Vipers in Florida, please have them come to the Airport event this Sunday.

The 3 different Lambo tuner cars will be out in full force, and all 3 have built and tuned at one point or another the fastest Vipers in the World for their class.

As you know I have a Heffner car, but I will give it to you guys. You are doing some clean work these days and really striving to get the best of the best to handle the things you cannot do in house. Kudos to you guys for pushing the envelope and giving us ALL better cars because of it. Also, I'm happy to see you let the products do the talking and being less defensive and inflammatory. You are slowly but surely winning over my opinion of UGR.

All this talk of ruining the balance and track car nonsense is preposterous. 99% of Gallardo owners drive their car on the street. Any racing involved is a straight line race. With an AWD car and 1300+ awhp, there really is NOTHING out there that comes close. The combination of aero, power, gearing, AWD, brakes is pretty much making this car UNTOUCHABLE on the street! IMO there are better track cars out there and UGR has made this car the KING of the streets!

All this talk of ruining the balance and track car nonsense is preposterous. 99% of Gallardo owners drive their car on the street. Any racing involved is a straight line race. With an AWD car and 1300+ awhp, there really is NOTHING out there that comes close. The combination of aero, power, gearing, AWD, brakes is pretty much making this car UNTOUCHABLE on the street! IMO there are better track cars out there and UGR has made this car the KING of the streets!

What streets can you do 240+mph on!?!?

What streets can you do 240+mph on!?!?

In that regard, what street can you do 200 on? Should we just limit all cars to 74mph?

They only change 5th and 6th gear so it doesn't even effect the drivability of the car and likely makes it nicer to cruise at normal highway speeds.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this thread is a bit old, but thought I would throw my last two pennies in on it.

I personally really like the new UGR gearing. Anyone thinking about it should not just look at the peak mph number as the only criteria for wanting them. The car is SO much more relaxed just cruising around (especially on the highway), much less shifting and I think it really compliments the wider power band of the TT cars. It is worth a test drive in a car with the upgraded gearing, just to see which you prefer. And for those nut cases wanting to go 230+, well they work fine for that also. :)

As far as a road course, I know we are planning to take the Nera out for some lapping days here in the NW this summer. Perhaps a few other Lambos will be there (or know of some "can't miss" events that we may want to run). I spent about an hour driving the car around Charlotte the other day and it is very mild mannered in traffic, still well balanced in the turns and of course just flies when you want it to. The Motec boost by gear works perfect, and with the right boost dialed in the car really doesn't get out of hand in any gear (even first). My biggest worry on the road course will be brake temperature if it is being run to potential. The power/boost can be fully managed (heck I can even trim the boost based upon lateral G loading to tone it down while cornering) but as with any high performance car it will take someone doing the right things behind the wheel to get the most of it (or just not be stupid and go over your head). But I really think it is an error to say that it will not be balanced or handle well simple because it happened to run a fast drag pass. It is still very much setup for handling (which is why the drag pass is relatively poor in terms of speed vs ET when compared to an actual drag racing car).