Help needed

Chipster

I did it all with a jack and some jack stands. The filter was a bit of a pain to get off and out around what I assume is the brake cable?. I was told it had been roughly 900 miles since the last oil change but that is some dark oil.

I did headers on the viper with nothing but the stock tire changing jack :) It's a pain in the ass but I won't be on there too often (I hope). A buddy does have a full lift at his house though, so if I really need some space I should be alright.

I tried wiggling the wires connected to the oil pressure sensor, which was difficult to even get my hand on. Letting the oil settle and checking the dipstick before I crank it up.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I cranked it up and it seemed fine for a few minutes but then seemed like it was going to idle off. I shut it down. Going to let it cool and check the level tomorrow afternoon.

So I cranked it up and it seemed fine for a few minutes but then seemed like it was going to idle off. I shut it down. Going to let it cool and check the level tomorrow afternoon.

Chip, its a wet sump motor so you're ok doing a preliminary check even if the engine is cold as long as the car is level. Even though I'm new to Lambos, my experience with other wet sump motors is that if the oil reaches the bottom mark of the dip stick when cold, it will reach the middle of the min/max marks when warm. You can top off the oil after checking once the engine has warmed up later.

I put 14 Liters in which is supposed to be what it takes, so it can't be low. My worry is that it might be too much, although i'm pretty sure I got very close to 14Liters out. The idle just didn't sound good

Chip, I know being an engineer you want to problem solve this yourself, but just take it to Richard for peace of mind. Its worth paying for the tow - just give Dominc a call.

was there a ppi done on the car previous to buying it?

Stupid I know, but I didn't. If I had not seen the car in person and talked with the owner extensively, I would have. Plus there was nothing relatively close by. So I will be stuck with what I got.

Stupid I know, but I didn't. If I had not seen the car in person and talked with the owner extensively, I would have. Plus there was nothing relatively close by. So I will be stuck with what I got.

hopefully it all works out. What does the former owner say about your oil issue?

I'm going to check with him tonight. I wanted to get all the info I could before checking with him. Going to upload a video in a minute. I forgot to press record right when I cranked it up but it sat on 0 for a few seconds and then popped up to about 6 bar, which is when I hit record. I did see in the paperwork on the car that it had an issue with blockage in the oil feed line that was fixed. I guess this could have happened again. Maybe the video will provide some better insight for you guys to comment on. The guy I bought it from seemed like a stand up guy and he said "there are absolutely no issues with the car" so I think he'd not string me out if there does end up being an issue.

Son of a....so I couldn't get the file directly onto youtube from the camcorder (not really familiar with it) and apparently my camera doesn't do sound but you can see the oil pressure needle.

Either way, this is going to need to go to the shop it looks like.

why are the CELs staying on?

Another question for the powers that be. Going to have to take it to the shop and let the professionals take a look. This is beyond my scope of knowledge

Yea, that would bother me. Also, needle should be near pegged to the right when start up from cold. Don't know if has already been mentioned, but the gauge and not the sender could be faulty too.

I hope that's not the case. I think on lambo stuff I saw that they gauge is $1700? We will see

You might be wishing that is the case as an engine rebuild is going to make that look like chump change.

You need to stop driving it and get it to a reputable shop ASAP so you can determine what the hells is going on.

Where are you located? Let us know and I am sure a few will chime in on some good shops as you need to be careful in who you take it to.

Sincerely Vic

My 94 gage to RPM looks exactly like yours. Except

pegged cold. I'm not that worried 2 bar is almost 30 lb.

Yours looks like maybe 2.2 bar ?

I'm in Virginia. Been told the place to go is Competizione in Gaithersburg, MD

Unfortunately I am not familiar with them. Hopefully some others will chime in and verify them.

Trailer or have the vehicle transoprted to the shop so as to not create further damage if it turns out to be a worse case type senario.

I am sure they will put a mechanical gauge on it and verify the pressure.

If they verify it is too low chances are everything is going to have to come out for inspection.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Sincerely Vic

they are the go-to place for ferrari in our area.

recent they had two miuras, two f40s, and i think an f50 in the shop.

definitely a place id trust imo.

From the videos, the oil pressure dosent seem that off. I believe the 91 diablos had a different oil pump from the later ones. You might want to talk to owners with your year diablo, and see what there oil pressure reads. Like I said before, my 94, when cold reads 10bar and when warm will idle around 2bars. But like redlambo said, oil pressure issues are very serious and very costly, get it checked out by a certified shop.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I talked with the previous owner and he said he had asked his shop to check it out when he got the car as well but they told him there were no problems. But as others have said, I should play it safe and have it checked out.

Just spoke to Competizione on the phone. Sounds like very good people at first blush. After describing the situation to him, his first thought was a bad sending unit. They are pretty booked right now but i'm going to get the car up there in the next couple weeks. They are only open M-F but said they would meet me at the shop on a weekend to drop the car off so I dont have to get out of work. I will definitely keep you guys informed. thanks again for all the feedback