Printer won't print...

WheelsRCool

Well I had disconnected my printer some time ago, but now I re-connected it and it won't print. I got a message saying the "print failed." So I tried un-installing the printer, however now I can't re-install it. I downloaded the software, but when the installation says to plug in the printer to my computer, the computer won't detect it, so the install won't complete :( Any help appreciated!

Your best bet is to call the manufacturer's customer service instead of pushing the buttons yourself. My HP printer stops working from time to time, and their customer service always worked through the problems with me over the phone.

Shut off your PC, Shut off your printer... Turn on Printer, Turn on PC (in that order).

Then see if it recognizes it. If not then try reinstalling the printer drivers.

right click my computer and click manage. Then choose device manager from the pane on the left. Look for your printer listed on the right. It probably has a red X or a yellow ? on it. Right click it and click uninstall. Reboot your machine then plug in the printer. This should kick off the found new hardware wizard. Follow the prompts from there. Let me know if this doesnt work or you have questions

right click my computer and click manage. Then choose device manager from the pane on the left. Look for your printer listed on the right. It probably has a red X or a yellow ? on it. Right click it and click uninstall. Reboot your machine then plug in the printer. This should kick off the found new hardware wizard. Follow the prompts from there. Let me know if this doesnt work or you have questions

^^^^^

if that doesn't work you most likely have a problem with the hardware.

good luck

I had the same problem with my Dell printer just now, I re-installed the drivers and it worked fine for one job. Ten minutes later I tried to print and it just spit the paper through without printing anything, the ink jets did'nt move or anything. Its been 5 months and it gets used at least once every 6 weeks so I guess its time for a new one :lol:

If you get too frustrated, you can always buy a brand new one for cheap. You have to love the disposable world of computer accesories.

Yeah the money for them is in the ink refills, not the unit itself.

I had the same problem with my Dell printer just now, I re-installed the drivers and it worked fine for one job. Ten minutes later I tried to print and it just spit the paper through without printing anything, the ink jets did'nt move or anything. Its been 5 months and it gets used at least once every 6 weeks so I guess its time for a new one :lol:

Hey Larry,

what model printer is it?

We use Dell printers at work and we've found that the 1720 and 1710s are brutal for breaking early.

There was a recall done on them not to long ago, so you might want to call Dell about that.

Thank you for the suggestions people, will have to try some of this stuff.

im not sure what OS you using !

but try and uninstall drivers and restart then download the latest updated drivers from printer site and follow the new driver installation steps.

Unplug your printer and your computer. Pick it up, go out back and look for a big black container. They are usually plastic or steel. Toss it the container; don't worry about the smell that's just rotting lettuce and other garbage. Then go to Best Buy and buy a Mac. Problem solved.