Can anyone suggest any great driving roads near LA?

gLA

I don't mind traveling for a while to get to them. I've done Angeles Crest, Malibu, Calabasas etc more times than I can remember. I'm after something like the 1 out near Big Sur (but not that). A fun, sweeping "epic" drive. There must be so many insane drives that I don't know about being a relative new comer to LA. Anyone care to give up their favs?

cheers

g

I don't mind traveling for a while to get to them. I've done Angeles Crest, Malibu, Calabasas etc more times than I can remember. I'm after something like the 1 out near Big Sur (but not that). A fun, sweeping "epic" drive. There must be so many insane drives that I don't know about being a relative new comer to LA. Anyone care to give up their favs?

cheers

g

The most epic drive for a Lambo is along Sunset Blvd between La Brea and Doheney... :downtown:

There are many good sweeping roads in the Angelest forest beside the Crest, Ortega HWY down in OC (or SB) county is another great road for spirited (i. reckless) driving.

2nd for Ortega highway.

Azusa canyon or Glendora Mtn. Rd connecting over to Baldy Village is a fun one as well.

How often are CHP there?

That's the problem with anything connected Mulholland or Angeles Crest.

Yeah I've come veeery close to being busted on Angeles Crest

How often are CHP there?

How often are CHP there?

You might see a ranger in Azusa/Glendora, but it's pretty quiet for the most part. Just watch for cyclist, the pedal kind.

The roads are the white lines going through the mountains.

All I can say is "spirited" driving at your own risk. Many places there are multi-hundred foot cliffs right off the side of the road. If you lose it, it could be days before anyone notices.

Glendora mtn road up across to Baldy and back down is a GREAT ride if you're a road cyclist. Dumps you down in Claremont. Full loop is ~30 miles. About 50 if you go from Azusa.

post-19010-1251318203_thumb.jpg

Its quite the drive but on the way back from Pebble beach this year I took the 101 to this road called 198 and it was amazing!! Incredible scenery its like a dream with some fantastic turns. It connects to the 5 but like I said its quite the drive from LA.

If you lose it, it could be days before anyone notices.

Not during Fire Season. You will be on every channel with in 10 mins. :)

That being said, when I get some fresh tires on my car I'll have to check it out.

Azusa canyon or Glendora Mtn. Rd connecting over to Baldy Village is a fun one as well.

R39 is closed if i'm not wrong...flames jumped over it. Its kinda short though, and here's Crystal Lake at the end of the route.

No cops on it.

shesssh..the whole San Gab mountain cannot be seen from Pasadena...smells so bad over here.

Awesome! "Lambo Power- Bringing you up to the minute breaking news on the best driving roads"

thanks guys!

R39 is closed if i'm not wrong...flames jumped over it. Its kinda short though, and here's Crystal Lake at the end of the route.

No cops on it.

shesssh..the whole San Gab mountain cannot be seen from Pasadena...smells so bad over here.

No cops on it.

Ah yeah I totally forgot about the fire. Just makes you drive faster LOL

My favs are Little Tujunga in Sunland off Osborne to the 14. There's also the Santa Clarita loop with Spunky Canyon and Lake Hughes being the highlight. There are more but you need to drive a little more.

How often are CHP there?

There's hardly any but not lately. Too many kids wrecking during the summer.

Yes! I forgot about those, now that could be fun.

back roads around Ojai are great....

Ortega is incredibly boring.... too much traffic. Try www.lateralg.com; there are some excellent references in there.

Best road within easy access of SoCal is Tuna Canyon Rd. in Malibu, 1 way, and very technical, but by no means high speed or long and sweeping.

Chris

Its quite the drive but on the way back from Pebble beach this year I took the 101 to this road called 198 and it was amazing!! Incredible scenery its like a dream with some fantastic turns. It connects to the 5 but like I said its quite the drive from LA.

Did you take some pictures?!

Ortega is incredibly boring.... too much traffic. Try www.lateralg.com; there are some excellent references in there.

Best road within easy access of SoCal is Tuna Canyon Rd. in Malibu, 1 way, and very technical, but by no means high speed or long and sweeping.

Chris

What do you know??? You're all the way out in Mass. You're to busy pahhhhhrking your cahrrr.... :)

Tuna cyn is my fav. I love 23 also towards malibu. Almost got a nabbed a few times by chp though so I take it easy now.

Remember back in my young n' dumb days when I finished 23 and my brakes were smoking by the end :)

Chris

I live above Tuna Canyon Rd. It's my commute to my office everyday, great road. I can do it in 5 minutes and about 30 seconds from the stop sign at Saddle Peak when I am motivated. I took Gareth down that road once last year with Luxeous.

My favs are Little Tujunga in Sunland off Osborne to the 14. There's also the Santa Clarita loop with Spunky Canyon and Lake Hughes being the highlight. There are more but you need to drive a little more.

Spunky is a much better run than little tujunga. To many damn cyclist on the LT run, plus its only what 15 miles at the most?

I got tired of Paaaahhhkkiinnngg caaaahhhs in Boston and moved to Laguna Beach.

Seriously though, would anyone be interested in running an orchestrated drive through So-Cal roads? We could try to mix twisty roundabouts with long straights (until allan's 60-130 converges to 0.1 seconds). I've got a lowly zee-oh-six, but would be willing to be lead/radio car.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke to a friend who is in LA at the mo, and he said he hasn't seen many good cars, just regular 911's and 430etc. Where is the best place in LA for car spotting?

Would the roads mentioned above be the place to go, I was thinking more Sunset and Wilshire blvd areas?

Is this the Osborne by PCH (PaCoima Hills) of the valley?

We may get pulled over for suspicion of drug dealin' over there, especially if your driving in a Lambo.

Just spoke to a friend who is in LA at the mo, and he said he hasn't seen many good cars, just regular 911's and 430etc. Where is the best place in LA for car spotting?

Would the roads mentioned above be the place to go, I was thinking more Sunset and Wilshire blvd areas?

Just post up anywhere in BH close to Rodeo on Wilshire or around there, he'll see damn near anything that exists during the course of an hour, on the weekend.