EGEAR best practices.

blackmagic

LP members.

Is there a FYI / best practices / instructions on how to use the EGEAR, do's and don'ts, and how to achieve the most out of the clutch on this system?

I appreciate any info on this.

LP members.

Is there a FYI / best practices / instructions on how to use the EGEAR, do's and don'ts, and how to achieve the most out of the clutch on this system?

I appreciate any info on this.

Limit use of reverse gear especially up a hill

Try not to slip the clutch, give the throttle a good poke from stand still and don't use full throttle until you feel clutch fully engage.

Russell

A rule of thumb I've had is to keep it in sport mode (no matter how I'm driving) so the clutch engages faster and there's less slipping.

A rule of thumb I've had is to keep it in sport mode (no matter how I'm driving) so the clutch engages faster and there's less slipping.

Doesn't that beat the crap out of you with the hard shifts? Do you let off the throttle when you shift?

I was told recently by a friend that Balboni told him to let off 10% when he shifts.

Doesn't that beat the crap out of you with the hard shifts? Do you let off the throttle when you shift?

I was told recently by a friend that Balboni told him to let off 10% when he shifts.

I recently spoke to a very well respected lambo tech and he told me that the wear is the same. THe only reason I let off the throttle slightly is to smooth out the shifts in sport mode.

I have learned to release the gas a bit before upshifting. This produces smooth shifts and no jerking.

How about downshifting? Do you guys let the computer downshift like an automatic or take over and downshift yourself? A friend told me that manual downshifts wear the clutch really fast.

Any proper way to downshift so that the exhaust noise can be minimized? Whenever I downshift, the exhaust noise gets so loud that people around notice. When the computer downshifts, it's very smooth and you won't hear the noise. But manually, a different story.

I have learned to release the gas a bit before upshifting. This produces smooth shifts and no jerking.

How about downshifting? Do you guys let the computer downshift like an automatic or take over and downshift yourself? A friend told me that manual downshifts wear the clutch really fast.

Any proper way to downshift so that the exhaust noise can be minimized? Whenever I downshift, the exhaust noise gets so loud that people around notice. When the computer downshifts, it's very smooth and you won't hear the noise. But manually, a different story.

hmm. if I dont shift and let the comp downshift for me the car lugs before the shift. In a normal manual transmission lugging is not a good for the clutch. This lugging is what tells the comp to downshift because the driver must be sleeping.

Any chance we have a lambo tech on here than can really point us in the right direction? Ive heard so many conflicting claims on how to pro-long egear clutch. This thread included.

I thought that sport mode only changed the shift speed above a certain rpm (4 or 5000) and had no bearing on the initial take up from a standing start or when driving relativley normally?

I do release the gas a bit when changing gear under normal conditions mainly to reduce the trauma to my neck.

Russell

I thought that sport mode only changed the shift speed above a certain rpm (4 or 5000) and had no bearing on the initial take up from a standing start or when driving relativley normally?

I do release the gas a bit when changing gear under normal conditions mainly to reduce the trauma to my neck.

Russell

That was my point, the jerking with the shifts can be reduced by letting off of the gas. To bring home the point, Balboni told LemDog (who told me) that letting off the accelerator 10% is the way to properly shift the e gear car).

That was my point, the jerking with the shifts can be reduced by letting off of the gas. To bring home the point, Balboni told LemDog (who told me) that letting off the accelerator 10% is the way to properly shift the e gear car).

You guys are convincing me a manual is the way to go....

thats a new one. how can we accurately judge 10%? 10% off of full throttle? what if you are at 3/4 throttle are we suppose to let off 7.5%.

I enjoy my Egear but when you have to worry about what to do other than drive the car and engage gear,mash the pedal, all else takes away from the fun factor.

Is EGEAR the same mechanism as the F1 in the Ferrari? I have a friend who has the F430 and boy this guy makes the smoothest gear changes. I am not even talking about letting off the gas (10% or so) You don't feel any jerking at all. I will try to get hold of him and find out.

Is EGEAR the same mechanism as the F1 in the Ferrari? I have a friend who has the F430 and boy this guy makes the smoothest gear changes. I am not even talking about letting off the gas (10% or so) You don't feel any jerking at all. I will try to get hold of him and find out.

Two completely different systems. Ferrari's F1 system is a lot more advanced and efficient. Ferrari technology is 2nd to none in that aspect.

It is. Unless you're in LA. Even then... I'd be hard-pressed to go E-Gear.

After owning two 6 speed Lambo's I used to feel that way..Now that I own an E-Gear I absolutely love it, especially when driving in rally/track type conditions. I can honestly say i've never had a day where i wished i had a 6 speed. They're both equally great in there own way.

thats a new one. how can we accurately judge 10%? 10% off of full throttle? what if you are at 3/4 throttle are we suppose to let off 7.5%.

I enjoy my Egear but when you have to worry about what to do other than drive the car and engage gear,mash the pedal, all else takes away from the fun factor.

10% off of where you are in the throttle at the time,= let up a little. I don't think it's rocket science. I'll ask Lemdog if he doesn't see this thread.

• 9 months later...

I've spoken to two lambo dealership sales guys while on my search for a G and one of the questions I always ask is how reliable is the egear system. Both times they said it's very reliable and just has to be "driven" correctly. However, I've heard tips from both that are contradicting and that was the issue of whether of not you should let off the gas while shifting.

With that said, can egear owners post up some "proper way to drive" pointers.

Can egear owners please answer the following questions:

• What year is your lambo? Gallardo or Murc?
  • Do you left off the gas while changing gears?
  • Do you need to put it in neutral while stopped?
  • Have I had any issues with my egear system?
  • Any other pointers?

Edwin

In my Gallardos...

I always drive mine in sport mode (they say this engages the clutch the fastest hence less wear).

Never drive in automatic (unless a 560+ car).

I don't let off the gas when shifting gears.

If coming to a quick stop I will downshift through the gears otherwise I will pop it in neutral and roll to a stop.

The manual says to park it in gear, so do that.

Reverse sucks, period...you'll learn to park in ways you can avoid it :lol2:

Hope this helps.

I don't know about parking in gear. I've read too many accounts about not being to move the car if the battery dies or there is a problem with the egear. At least neutral will allow you to roll the car to a flatbed/out of a garage so you can look at it etc.

Just drive it in sport and drive it hard. The new clutches are pretty solid. I've never had an issue with excessive clutch wear.

I don't know about parking in gear. I've read too many accounts about not being to move the car if the battery dies or there is a problem with the egear. At least neutral will allow you to roll the car to a flatbed/out of a garage so you can look at it etc.

And if you e-brake fails or is improperly set, you will have a fun game of hide and seek on your hands with your car ;) While I echo Gasman's concern, there is no way I would park an e-gear car in neutral on any but the flatest of surfaces. Yes, I have heard a few horror stories.

JJB

There's a really simple solution to all this: Buy a manual!

:icon_mrgreen:

Sorry, had to. And I'm sure if I didn't - someone else would/will still!