Building a mount for a lion

Boner

My dad and I like to build rustic furniture and fixtures in our spare time. His friend just shot a lion in africa, so we are building this for him to mount it on. It has lights under it and the base is made of antlers. It will have african coins and buffalo nickels lining the wood trim. Kind of cool. Thought I would show everyone.table1.jpg

I like the lamps.

But reading that someone killed a lion for no reason is sad.

This was the response I was waiting for. Knew it would be first or second. Please note:

bonedoc is asking for comments on the table and sharing photos, not asking for opinions on sport hunting in general.

I personally dislike the idea of hunting if not for food or clothing but to each their own so this isn't the thread for that discussion.

I like the lamps.

Yeah, I dont like the fact that he killed a lion. I see people who hunt and dont use the animal they kill. I see people who kill and use every part of the animal they can. Then, I see crazy people. People who kill to kill. I dont like this. I think my dads friend is this way. This is the only lion he ever shot. But, it does not seem right to me, either way. I assume they are rare. I also think they are the most respected animal on the planet because of their power. I wouldnt do it.

I shot a turkey in my yard last week. I had mixed feelings about it. Taking the life of an animal that could have lived longer. Yet, that week, 40 million turkeys were eaten for thanksgiving.

I thought the mount turned out cool, so I thought I would show everyone. We also make a lot of tables and things out of massive pieces of wood. I know our dining room table is several hundred pounds.

Mount is cool , will it support the weight?

Also, isn't killing Lion's illegal, and importing their dead bodies/heads into the US illegal?

Very cool!!

I worked as a taxidermist while I was getting my phlebotomy certification last year and some of the displays I saw were absolutely outrageous!

I think this is at the "just right" point. Not too over the top, but it's not boring either.

Mount is cool , will it support the weight?

Also, isn't killing Lion's illegal, and importing their dead bodies/heads into the US illegal?

Well, I think this stand is about 300 pounds by now. I think it will be fine. I dont know the rules on importing animals. I know where he was in africa, you pay the government a fee for each type of animal you take.

This was the response I was waiting for. Knew it would be first or second. Please note:

bonedoc is asking for comments on the table and sharing photos, not asking for opinions on sport hunting in general.

I personally dislike the idea of hunting if not for food or clothing but to each their own so this isn't the thread for that discussion.

All the mods take care of this place for nothing but the joy of all members. For that, I have a great deal of respect for all of you. And your intention is good here for not letting this thread potentially turn into an orgy of animal lovers.

However, rules are often better adapted when applied fairly across the board. The same as what happened in the other thread where ‘ben’ posted info about his gf, every poster should expect all kinds of comments given that this is an open forum. I happen to love animals. That doesn’t mean I’m a vegetarian. But taking the time to plan and execute killings for entertainment is primitively cruel. There is no beauty in that.

post-7412-1260385644_thumb.jpg

But taking the time to plan and execute killings for entertainment is primitively cruel. There is no beauty in that.

And that would be your opinion, not a fact.

I personally have no issue with sport hunting.

All of this is irrelevant because this thread is about Bonedocs creation, which is something I see as interesting. Never quite seen something like that before

And that would be your opinion, not a fact.

I personally have no issue with sport hunting.

All of this is irrelevant because this thread is about Bonedocs creation, which is something I see as interesting. Never quite seen something like that before

Bingo. That was my point here and my point in the white SL thread - we are all entitled to our opinions but we aren't entitled to share all of them all the time. The guy who starts a thread is hosting a party and that party has a theme. He's invited everyone to come and discuss the theme with him, in this case, funny looking tables with legs made of antlers. He's going to be good natured because well, bonedoc seems like a good guy and because he's the one who is hosting the party in the first place.

But guess what? The theme of his party is not Sport Hunting - Pros and Cons, and it's not Let's Discuss My Wife's Gay Uncle, and it's not Who Is An Alcoholic. The theme here is bonedoc and his tables. I think he was pretty clear in his original post, and I think I was pretty clear in my initial post.

bigmurcie, 2 day suspension + 1 bonus day for making me type so much.

Well, I think this stand is about 300 pounds by now. I think it will be fine. I dont know the rules on importing animals. I know where he was in africa, you pay the government a fee for each type of animal you take.

A friend of mine and his dad went and shot a lion each. The tags were $25,000 a piece for each animal. I know the Elephant tag is around $50,000 and if you dont kill it in 2 weeks (which happens alot) you are out the money.

As far as the table, I think it looks sick.

Looks nice, you must have access to a lot of antlers!

When we first started building things like this, my dads crazy friend had a TON of them. Yes, he killed them all. We could build a piece out of one type of deer. Now, most are found outside or bought by the box on the internet.

bonedoc, I like furniture that's made out of recycled or "strange"stuff, driftwood etc, do you have any other pieces you can share with us?

I bet is very therapeutic to work on that stuff, your work is very creative and artistry and creativity I admire a lot :icon_thumleft:

I like the lamps.

the lamp is cool and i totally agree with you killing a lion or any animal for no reason is very sad.

My dad and I like to build rustic furniture and fixtures in our spare time. His friend just shot a lion in africa, so we are building this for him to mount it on. It has lights under it and the base is made of antlers. It will have african coins and buffalo nickels lining the wood trim. Kind of cool. Thought I would show everyone.table1.jpg

Nice craftsmanship :icon_thumleft:

I probably wouldn't buy a lamp like those, but they are certainly intriguing to look at.

Very interesting, and job well done.

It is different. We have a log cabin and everything is very rustic. No drift wood, but a lot of pine and cedar furniture we made. Here are some finished pics. Everything is done but the top and mount, which my dads friend will have to do.photo_3_.jpgphoto_4_.jpg