Random Smog inspections in California

Skyline818

wow....talk about pissing away tax dollars to keep that shit up and running. Morons.....

yup talk about a joke.

What are the consequences, a fine?

I have heard you can decline to have the check done but now I think they said something in the lines of "Involuntary" can someone calirfy this on the legal ee's about this ? if a peace office says this test is "involuntary" WTH does that mean.

this is new to me and I live in CA--we have to get a smog check every other year depending on how old your vehicle is in order to get it registered

not related its just out to catch gross polluters and people who dont have lic or reg on their cars , its what will be heading our way eventually.

but you know its a cluster f of a waist of tax payers money but on the other side of it you guy should see what people in Switzerland and Germany have to go thru with the "Safety Police" with the TUV inspection. Those guys catch you even changing the seating position while driving will make them go all postal on you..............................

If this is fact than it will defendently piss off people for sure. Here a scenario, so I took time out of my day to do the smog once already now they're going to stop me on my way to a business appointment; great nothing I rather do than be late on me making a living for something I did nothing wrong.

"Hello officer, Can I help you?"

"We are conducting a random smog checkpoint, please pull over."

"The Supreme Court in Michigan v Sitz found that DUI checkpoints are Constitutional due to the immediate and serious harm caused by drunk drivers so long as the police abide by certain factors. No such exception to the 4th amendment exists for SMOG checks. As you can tell, I am not under the influence of alcohol, and I have broken no other laws either. You therefore lack probable cause to stop me. Am I free to go?"

"The Supreme Court in Michigan v Sitz found that DUI checkpoints are Constitutional due to the immediate and serious harm caused by drunk drivers so long as the police abide by certain factors. No such exception to the 4th amendment exists for SMOG checks. As you can tell, I am not under the influence of alcohol, and I have broken no other laws either. You therefore lack probable cause to stop me. Am I free to go?"

so I can decline to have the test performed on my vehicle and politely say sorry Im late and I have to go ?

so I can decline to have the test performed on my vehicle and politely say sorry Im late and I have to go ?

Unless you have broken some OTHER law (if the car's registration is out of date, if it has obvious illegal parts, lacking proper lights/tags, contraband in plain sight etc....).

The police cant just stop you and begin investigating your car.... Unless you LET THEM.

BE POLITE, but politely inform them you know the law, that you DONT CONSENT TO A FURTHER SEARCH OF YOUR VEHICLE OR YOURSELF, and that if you are detained any further you will be late for an important business/social/church/family event.

Unless you have broken some OTHER law (if the car's registration is out of date, if it has obvious illegal parts, lacking proper lights/tags etc....).

The police cant just stop you and begin investigating your car.... Unless you LET THEM.

BE POLITE, but politely inform them you know the law, that you DONT CONSENT TO A FURTHER SEARCH OF YOUR VEHICLE OR YOURSELF, and that if you are detained any further you will be late for an important business/social/church/family event.

thanks for the info on this.

thanks for the info on this.

Youre welcome..... Its an important and serious thread.... So please keep it that way.

Guest SP_LOTTA MURCI

I would love to have you ride shotgun with me at all times RomanDad, you're like a get out of jail card. :icon_thumleft:

Unless you have broken some OTHER law (if the car's registration is out of date, if it has obvious illegal parts, lacking proper lights/tags, contraband in plain sight etc....).

Good info, thanks.

They used to have them here in Cali all the time. Always got busted for headlights being out of adjustment.

Once even a day after VW charged me for an adjustment, HP said tough shit, even though I showed reciept.

I was driving a friends car, I think it was ( showing my age ) 1974 or 5. No pass smog. Man was he pissed. Cost him about $500.00 to get it fixed.

They used to have them here in Cali all the time. Always got busted for headlights being out of adjustment.

Once even a day after VW charged me for an adjustment, HP said tough shit, even though I showed reciept.

I was driving a friends car, I think it was ( showing my age ) 1974 or 5. No pass smog. Man was he pissed. Cost him about $500.00 to get it fixed.

If you have patent safety issues, they can pull you over for that.... But "Smog" usually isnt THAT obvious.

In AZ they have mobile vans that set up on freeway on-ramps that measure your exhaust output optically as you drive by. If you "fail", a camera snaps your plate and you get a letter stating you need to take your car to an official smog testing facility. While it sucks (I got flagged once but did pass at the station), at least it is noninvasive. I'd love to see someone on here test RD's suggestion.

In AZ they have mobile vans that set up on freeway on-ramps that measure your exhaust output optically as you drive by. If you "fail", a camera snaps your plate and you get a letter stating you need to take your car to an official smog testing facility. While it sucks (I got flagged once but did pass at the station), at least it is noninvasive. I'd love to see someone on here test RD's suggestion.

We have those here too..... Theres NOTHING unconstitutional about them.... As you arent stopped or detained in any way. They are just picking up the clues you leave behind.

Ive driven through several of these and never had a problem from them.

Forgetting the legal issues that have been discussed. I'd like to know how they plan on getting your lowered lambo or any other car

on that test rig with out tearing the crap out of it. And no you don't need to tell you can raise the nose.

Forgetting the legal issues that have been discussed. I'd like to know how they plan on getting your lowered lambo or any other car

on that test rig with out tearing the crap out of it. And no you don't need to tell you can raise the nose.

Exactly...there is no way in hell my car would be able to get on those ramps.

Looks like I'm keeping my Idaho registration on the Plastic mess-06 as long as my parents still live there

Id be surprised if they would even bother.....

Theyre not after us....

At the risk of being UNPC, theyre after the POS clown cars being driven by our undocumented friends from parts south who havent changed the oil in the car in the 20 years since it rolled off the chop shop line.

Id be surprised if they would even bother.....

Theyre not after us....

At the risk of being UNPC, theyre after the POS clown cars being driven by our undocumented friends from parts south who havent changed the oil in the car in the 20 years since it rolled off the chop shop line.

Well in that case maybe we need a few around here, for along time time we had a rash of cases here where people would get rear ended by a pickup and all the illegal's would just abandon the

vehicle and run for fear of arrest, no insurance of course.