Car starts by itself...

panterauffe

Hi guys. Snow is finally gone and having kept my battery charged with a state of the art trickle charger

I decided to give it a go! No power what so ever in my 1/2 year old Optima red top, so I gave it a little bit of starter boost and slowly the starter motor engaged. I heard right away that it wouldn't start and aborted with the attempt by disengaging the ignition key. To my horror the starter motor kept winding until all the fuses in the garage popped and everything finally went silent.

What on earth happened? What do I do now? The battery does not accept charging and is indicating as shorted and also removed from the car. I have attempted to mount a new battery but when trying to put the wires on the poles it sparked like crazy and I heard the starter motor coff before I removed the wires...

HELP!!!!!

An empty red top is a broken red top. Once they go empty, they are no good, I had this experience first hand. I got a new one on warranty.

Did you try to start it with the charger connected?

Low voltage is extremely bad for electrical components. I had a situation a few months back while trying to start a large diesel (16 cylinder) with batteries that were too low, the starter solenoid got stuck then welded itself on the "on" position causing the starter to catch on fire and ALL THE WHILE THE DAMN STARTER WAS TRYING TO START THE ENGINE! I'm gonna guess your starter solenoid is shot.

that's some scary shit...batteries, power, current, hot wires, etc..it all scares the crap out of me...I fear seeing a car helplessly burn to the ground!!! :eusa_wall:

You will need to unhook the wire's from the starter. Then try to hook up the battery. If it does not spark when you hook up the cables to it you will need to check and see if the small wire has 12 volts to it. If it does you have a ignition switch that is most likely bad.It should only have 12 volts on the small wire when the key is in the crank position. If it does not then try to touch the big cable to the stater terminal. Be real careful when you do this becouse if it is staying on it will arc a bunch and try to turn the motor over. If it turns over or sparks a lot the starter solenoid is bad.

You will need to be real careful when doing the testing. Do not reveres the cables or you will ruin all kinds of stuff. Be real careful touching the cables too the battery you don't want to have the battery blow up on you.

Sounds like your solenoid is stuck. The starter is loading up the battery and that's probably why you are getting the sparks when you go to connect it. Try getting to the starter solenoid and hitting it with something. Might help disengage it. Had the same thing happen on one of my 12cyl F cars. Lucky for me the starter is on top so it was a easy R&R.

Thank you all for your prompt and friendly advice. Yes I tried it with the charger hooked up. Now I hear it´s not the best idea. I will give it a go tonight with a friend of mine and will check out your suggestions.

Will keep you posted...

Guess What???

After a bit of elimination we narrowed it down to the starter motor, gave it a couple of good whacks, hooked up the battery and let everything reset for a few minutes, turned the key and cranked it... Fired right up and ran like a charm. How absolutely fantastic to finally get to hear the engine again after a long dark snowy winter. Now it´s time for a yearly change of all filters and fluids and sit back and wait for the government to sweep away all the sand and salt from the roads... Another week or so and we are right in the beginning of season. Thanks again for your helpful tips and suggestions. So glad you guys are out there!

ps. I´m also incredibly relieved I didn´t fry anything, ecu´s and such, while putting extra power onto my shorted Optima. Pure luck I guess, or just maybe we are all underestimating the Italians, hahaha

Guess What???

After a bit of elimination we narrowed it down to the starter motor, gave it a couple of good whacks, hooked up the battery and let everything reset for a few minutes, turned the key and cranked it... Fired right up and ran like a charm.

Awesome!

Glad it wasn't anything more serious.