New Countach

CARGUY

I bought my first countach. It is a 1986 5000 Quartro Us spec. FI

29,000 KMH Black on White leather. With gold Wheels

Came From California GLA12025. All books and

Records.

Im sure there will be alot of other things to correct, However

I was hoping for the ones that have been there done that.

A few Questions for the mechanicaly orinentated.

I put it on the lift at the location where I bought it.

There were three problems that I will correct when I receave

it.

1. Antifreeze leak, looks like it is coming from under the distributer.

Hard to tell. Is that where the Waterpump is located?

We could not quite identify it on the lift.

2. Fuel is leaking only when it is running under the fuel tank right

side. Cound not pin point whithout removing the riveted pannel.

3. One catalyc converter is running cherry red this was at Idle while

on the lift it was the forward cat.

Can anyone give me pointers on the above three problems.

Im guessing Waterpump??

Fuel leak I dont want to think tank beacause it leaks upon running?

Glowing red catalyic converter. Too Rich? Anyone?

Thanks in Advance

Gerry

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats !!!!!

The thing handles nice on back roads.

Enjoy it !!!!!

You "may" want to work on those bumpers.

AWESOME!!!

I'll check my car for the waterpump location and give my opinion.

I had fuel dumping from the drivers side while running but only once. Soon after I had all new fuel lines made. I think from one fitting...maybe from sitting that winter. Maybe something swells up when fuel soaks it, when starting, and closes the leak...Idunno. It was fuel and we don't want to mess with fuel leaks...I just replaced all.

Ha ha, I have no cats...can't help you there.

The bumpers gotta go!! Whats under the front bumper. Can I just loose them?

I should have the car next week. Cant wait to get it on the lift?

Where do you get water pump? I may just loose the cats.

Just wondering why one would be red.

Do you think the rims should go to? there as new.

Once I get the mecanical bugs out. Then I can take it for a ride.

Thanks again

Gerry

You can put the strip from the 1989 Anniv front bumper on your car. That will clean up the look. - Make it pretty :shock:

You might also want to lose the two outside square boxes on the back. Leaving the two above the exhaust will not look bad.

Congrats on the car...............keep the rims, they look great. Also forget the Anniv front bumper. Go for the Euro bumper, the way it's supposed to look. I think one is for sale right now on ebay, albeit a little expensive. Every so often a guy offers a fiberglass replica that looks perfect for about $400 bucks (also on ebay). The only other thing is make sure you always have a fire extinguisher around while you run it until you have the fuel leak fixed. Where did you buy it from and what state are you in? :supz:

Nice car. To answer your questions,

1.Yes, is probably water pump. The pump is located under the dist., kinda looks like a turbo charger. There is a weep hole in the bottom where they start to leak. Word of warning, DOUBLE check to make sure it is not a head gasket..

2. Fuel leak is probably fitting at fuel pump. You will have to drill out and remove that panel. I would do this immeditly if not sooner. A fuel leak is nothing to mess with on these cars. Onthe FIcars, fuel pressure at the pump can be 100psi. I'll post pic sometime on whats left of a burned up Countach from a fuel leak.

3. The glowing converter could be multipule reasons. More then likely, Its running to rich loading up the converters. Converters on these cars are famous for plugging up also.

If you need some guidence, let me know. But get that fuel leak fixed #1

Water pump is your most likely source for the leak..But you may want to check to be sure that the large banjo fitting is not leaking. There are 2 copper washers on either side of the bolt. These have a tendancy to loose there sealing ablity over a long time. If it is indeed leaking from there, try to tighten it up a bit. If this does not cure it..replace the washers.

Fuel leak: How full was the tank of fuel? If it was right full..you may have a vent line that is leaking at the top of the tank. Also be sure your sending unit gasket is not leaking aswell. I would check ALL fuel lines/hoses including the cross over pipe that runs just behined the diff housing. An even better thing to do would be to just replace all the rubber fule hoses in the car. They are now 20 years old.

Overheating cat: Is the A.I.R injection system still operating? If it is..remove the A.I.R pump belt..and then let the car run. If your cat no longer overheats..you have an A.I.R injection problem..stuck diverter solinoid etc. Or you could just leave the belt off and not worry about it anymore. If this does not cure your problem..Get your car to a shop with a 5 gas analizer. The machine tells you exactly what you car is producing at the tail pipe. If you peg the machine at HC4000ppm..you know your running way rich. Have them set it up according to spec. This spec should be printed in the factory owners manuel that came with the car. If its not there I can get it for you.

The Countach was really bad for cat overheats and this did cause may Countaches to go up in flames. If your state does not require emissions, I would remove the cats altogether for your saftey and the cars.

Once fixed up..you will have one sweet ride..enjoy!!

4V downdraft cars, both pumps are in the left tank. 2V sidedraft cars, both pumps are on the left frame rail near the bellhousing.

4V injected cars have a pump on each side.

What do you guys think about completely removing the cats and

air injection? I realize passing state emissions willl be a issue.

Is there some hidden performance advantage. I also noticed some cars

with what ressambles K&N air cleaners mounted directly to each

Throttle body.

2Aftercannonball Do you have Phone # for GT parts? For the waterpump

Rebuild kits.

It looks like the Car should arrive hear wednesday. Up on the lift it will

Go . The first will be the fuel issue. Beleave me I wanted to drill the rivits

right on the lift when I was purchasing it No other way to tell where fuel

leak is without removing that panel.

I also need other parts like the emblems on the lower rockers.

Some knobs on the Heater controls Anyone have a source for these?

I hope this car has AC Cant remember if I even noticed.

I cant wait to get it.

Anymore thoughts

Thanks

Gerry

Great looking car....all the best. Was this car the one over at Gull wing motors in long Island?? I was going to go to see that car....but never got the chance.

GTCP is a great source for parts. (623) 780-2200

I Know the feeling your having right now, waiting for it to be delivered. Have fun, and video tape the delivery. I watch mine every so often, it still brings back the gittie feelings.

Enjoy,

Greg

FrankD it was the one in Newyork. I think its a honest car. all Original

with records and books a foot high.

2aftercannonball thanks for the info I will have the camera ready :mrgreen:

Gerry

Carguy,

Welcome to the CT club. Was this the car at Gullwing? I don't think the rear bumpers are easily removed. Seems to me the outer ones come out of the rear valence behind the tires. You will be left with holes if you remove. Still worth doing though. The front bumper, too.

Udo

Carguy,

Welcome to the CT club.  Was this the car at Gullwing?  I don't think the rear bumpers are easily removed.  Seems to me the outer ones come out of the rear valence behind the tires.  You will be left with holes if you remove.  Still worth doing though.  The front bumper, too.

Udo

I removed my 2 outer bumpers last year and the car looks 100% better with only the 2 center ones remaining. There is some cutting involved.....as the 2 diverging attaching bars cannot be pulled through the narrow opening without cutting through one of them. The opening itself can either be left alone, have a mesh grille attached from the inside (looks like a vent), or can be covered by easily fabricating a fiberglass insert (siliconed into place). I can post pics if needed. My next project is to install the Euro bumper sitting in my attic for 5 or 6 years now....that US front bumper is hideous !!!!

881/2 im in Mass. Just got off the phone with the Dealer. I was expecting the car

Wednesday. I have made arragengements here at our dealership to get it

on a lift. Looks like it may be thursday or friday. The suspence is killing me!

All I have is a bill of sale.

I need to get busy with something else. :roll:

Update. Car came in last night. After all of us gorked at it and drank a bottle

of cheap wine I disconnected the battery and left for the night. I couldnt sleep

all night so I got here at 7.00 am and put it up on the lift. Removed the riveted

pannel under right gas tank. Fuel leak is comming from accumulator.

There is a vent or possible a hose barb? This has a 90 degree and looks like it is either missing a hose or rather designed to vent to the atmosphere.

What is this accumulator??? Where can I get it and is it missing a hose?

My judgement tells me even with my big wine head from last night

it has a diaphram in it and must have pin hole. It is inline after the fuel pump

Do you even need it?

Water pump is next. I can see it from under neath Whats best way to get at this?

Please Respond

Gerry

Another update ordered Fuel accumulator from local distributer.

I removed distributer cap to get acsess to waterpump and noticed brass filings

in cap Quite a bit I may add. Cap looks to be fairly new . There is also MSD

ignition box and coil. Rotor looks original. Cannot locate rotor.

Just bought waterpump rebuild kit.

Waterpumps gonna be a blast.

Should I remove dist?

Back to work

Gerry

Right now there are several knobs and buttons for sale on ebay..........maybe one is the type you are looking for. They have been listed several times over the past year. Did this car come from Gullwing Motorcars in Long Island? Good luck with the repairs.