Cat's Exotics

ToFi

I realize all these attempts to make me "spill the beans" on why I did not accept the car, however, I made a promise and I am keeping it. The only thing that I will do, if asked privately, is I will go through a detailed description of the car from a third party objective point of view. If you are actually interested in the car and not just wasting time, then feel free to PM me and I will be glad to speak to you in PM or on the phone. Otherwise, take this post as its meant to be - a review of Roy Cats and his company, and not a review of the car itself.

Why can't you 'spill the beans"? This thread stinks of deception. You praise Roy and then shoot him in the foot at the sane time. Roy sold me this car, it's perfect but I wasted his time and money for some secret mystical reason.

Do you by some chance suffer from bipolar disease?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you 'spill the beans"? This thread stinks of deception. You praise Roy and then shoot him in the foot at the sane time. Roy sold me this car, it's perfect but I wasted his time and money for some secret mystical reason.

exactly he comes on and spills only the beans that he wants to spill :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2: :iamwithstupid:

VERY odd post, if you can't say why you didn't like it and others knew you wouldn't then its something you're trying to hide.

Wow Roy, that is nice of you to take it back! Great customer service!

Wow Roy, that is nice of you to take it back! Great customer service!

I am glad at least some people managed to understand the point of my post.

As for everyone else, I spoke to Roy about his feelings on this matter and he assured me that this matter is closed. Neither he nor I misunderstood the point of my post, however, because of all claims made by those who believe something is being hidden here, Roy has given me the go ahead to talk freely on my personal reasons for rejecting this car.

I feel that is a very generous offer, once again by a person who has nothing to hide, and now neither do I so I shall indeed take up the offer to speak freely. And from this I hope you will see that there was nothing going on that I should have informed anyone about, and perhaps everyone can go back to life as normal.

The thing about me and cars is I purchase a lot of cars, all the time, and the one thing I always look out for is cars which have the cleanest possible condition. I live in Arizona, and have never bought an East Coast car before. However I have been looking for a convertible G for a long time, therefore, when I saw the beautiful pictures of a lovely Red Spyder, I was naturally intrigued. A hasty call to Roy later and I was assured that the car would be a 9.9/10. Roy said that the car couldn't possibly be a 10/10, but the defects were very minor and that he would fix everything prior to the car being delivered.

Part of the deal was the entire front bumper was to be repainted and the clear bra re-applied.

We went through the exact details of the paint, interior, etc...

Even so I was skeptical. It was Roy who assured me "I want you to love the car, and I believe you will be very happy with it. But if you are not happy I am not happy, so if you do not fall in love with the car, I will take it back, no questions asked." This assurance was what put me over the top and I decided to go for it.

Like I said in my original post, my error was to take this as a reason to buy the car sight unseen. I have been extremely busy over the last weeks with property inspections and purchases in Phoenix, so I was not able to be home most of the time. My laziness led me to take word of many who posted on this and other forums that "they would buy a car from Roy sight unseen." My stupidity. They never said that *I* should buy a car from Roy sight unseen, only that they would.

Now was the car misrepresented? Well no. The car was straight body, had no dents, no structural damages, and the only body work damage was the usual missing piece off that stupid lower piece of plastic under the front fender (I don't know what that is called, but I suspect 90% of Lamborghinis have that thing broken off, and its not worth repairing). So why did I not take possession of it?

It comes down to how I rate cars I suppose. Those who have seen my car(s), know that I personally have the highest standards. I have a 2006 Gallardo which is my pride and joy and suffice it to say I maintain it very very well. When I describe my car as flawless, I actually mean what I say. It isn't quite flawless of course, and I can point out every flaw in the car, but from any paritcular inspection I would say my car is probably a 9.9/10. And for this reason, I was naturally excited to hear that Roy had in his possession, a 9.9/10 Red Spyder. Perfect car to replace my outgoing G.

However, I was not satisfied with the overall impression of the Red Gallardo. And because I knew that my standards were sometimes unreasonably high, I had two experts in the field look over the car with me. Together with what they said, I realized this would not be the car for me.

The car had minor cosmetic blemishes all throughout the front bumper, under the clear bra. This was a paint issue. The driver's side was scratched under the front bumper - which is slightly puzzling considering the whole front bumper was repainted. It could possibly be that the paint job was not a "bumper off" restoration so the underside was missed, or the scratch marks occured after the painting. I want to say to be fair you cannot see these scratches unless you look under the car, but the area scratched was extensive, as you might expect from driving up or down a steep incling or going over a speed bump with the nose lowered.

The A-pillars had minor scuff marks throughout on the outside. The interior was very clean for the most part. The rear diffuser had a minor scuff mark on the passengers side from probably backing up into another curb.

It was the impression of Richard, my body shop guy, that the car had been driven hard at some point in its life. The marks on the tires showed some wear unique to hard cornering, and the rear wheel wells had burned rubber. The rear tires were pretty worn although they had been described as being replace only 2000 miles ago. The exterior paint was good - no chips and only minor scratches, but there were holograms from bad detailing. These could of course be removed through wet-sanding. The appraiser suggested that the front bumper color also did not exactly match the rest of the body, but he conceded this might be due to the material the front bumper was made of and not necessarily a color mismatch due to the paint.

So if we had to conclude what the condition of the car was, for a 2007 car I would say its probably an 8.5/10. The appraiser agreed, an 8 or a 9 he said. But we both agreed it was nowhere near a 10. And a 10 (or close) was what I had wanted. I probably judge cars differently from a lot of people, but for me a 10 is a 10. And a 9.9 is a 10 with a few rock chips. Anyone who has seen my cars will know exactly what I am talking about, I maintain my cars that way and those are the cars that I buy. Contrary to common belief these cars exist, and every car I own is testament to this fact. I was advised by Roy that the fact that I am used to owning cars from California and AZ have also raised my expectations somewhat and that it is not reasonable to expect cars from the midwest to have the same level of paint quality over time - a fact that I was unaware of.

Roy did offer to reimburse me $1000 to take care of everything, however, I decided against it because the overall "feel" of the car wasn't right at this point. It is something that I have learned that if a car has a specific defect, it is easy to fix (if you hit a curb with your front bumper, you can have the front bumper repaired and resprayed to look like new). But if a car looks worn without having any definite problem point, it is very hard, maybe impossible, to bring up to a "like new" appearance. So I called and told Roy "Hey, you know I think the Spyder is pretty nice, its mostly straight and clean throughout, but I notice x, y, and z wrong with it and I have to say I'm not entirely in love with the car." Roy replied that he could offer whatever to fix the problems but if I didn't love the car, that he couldn't make me fall in love with it and so he would take it back as per our agreement.

I felt Roy had behaved honorably throughout this negotiation. He said he would take the car back if I didn't love it, and he did. I felt therefore obliged to post about my happy dealings with Roy even if it did not end up with my dream car. I also felt that since there were no major defects to the red Lambo, to leave out the minor issues that had led me to reject the car. I felt that for the right person, it would be an excellent car - it certainly has an excellent price. And for another person, this might very well be a 10/10 car. But as an experienced Lambo owner and fanatical car collector, I simply did not think this car was the right fit for me.

And that is how this whole thing went down. A very simple transaction, a very simple agreement, and nothing at all "wrong" with the car, except I did not fall in love with it. I hope this clears everything up and stops all the speculation and suspicion.

And I apologize for taking this long to reply, as I've mentioned I have been in Phoenix recently on business matters.

ToFi this should've been your first post.

You can't expect people not to be suspicious if you decide to leave out the most important part of the story.

I think what you need is a new car, good luck with you search for a ToFi 9.9/10 standard used car, wouldn't we all love to find that?

The reality is majority of these cars are driven hard and so they should :icon_thumleft:

ToFi this should've been your first post.

You can't expect people not to be suspicious if you decide to leave out the most important part of the story.

I think what you need is a new car, good luck with you search for a ToFi 9.9/10 standard used car, wouldn't we all love to find that?

The reality is majority of these cars are driven hard and so they should :icon_thumleft:

The reason it was not my first post was because Roy had requested that I not post anything negative about the car to the forums. I made a promise and kept it. After Roy had decided all the speculation was worse than the actual flaws, he asked me to go ahead and post the flaws.

I was trying to behave honorably, because I believed that Roy had behaved honorably. Quid pro quo.

However, recent events on other boards have led me to believe in the other saying "no good deed goes unpunished."

All good ToFi and Roy. ToFi you will want to fly out to inspect the car before making an offer in the future. Perfect used cars are out therer but usually you will need to focus on cars with under 3k miles to find them. I have helped one of my good friends find two Diablos that literally are the cleanest Diablos I have ever seen (last one was a 99 momo edition with 3k miles).

Good luck on finding the car...excited to see what you end up with. I am sure Roy is looking for you and if anyone is going to find the car it is probably going to be Roy.

Guest MOSS
All good ToFi and Roy. ToFi you will want to fly out to inspect the car before making an offer in the future. Perfect used cars are out therer but usually you will need to focus on cars with under 3k miles to find them. I have helped one of my good friends find two Diablos that literally are the cleanest Diablos I have ever seen (last one was a 99 momo edition with 3k miles).

Good luck on finding the car...excited to see what you end up with. I am sure Roy is looking for you and if anyone is going to find the car it is probably going to be Roy.

Also, beauty is very subjective so the same car can be defined differently by two different people.

I think this thread is so fucked....

You bought a used car site unseen. The dealer bent over backwards, put money in the car and you expect him to take the car back. If you are really interested in the highest standards..take the time to check out the car. As a business owner your vague initial posts implied deception, you were hurting Roy not helping. Plus you are wasting his time and resources.

You are a lucky rich idiot....who seems not to value other people's time or their reputations.

Operate in the real world.....stop acting like a child.

99.9% of dealers would have told you fcuk off and made you keep the car.

There are no perfect used cars....you are bitching about a 3 year old car.

Buy a new one if you want perfect.

My perception of this is that Roy did go above and beyond because these days you really have to...people post on boards, etc. and Roy obviously knows this thus went above and beyond. I hope ToFi's loyalty stays with Roy on his next purchase...

I think this thread is so fucked....

You bought a used car site unseen. The dealer bent over backwards, put money in the car and you expect him to take the car back. If you are really interested in the highest standards..take the time to check out the car. As a business owner your vague initial posts implied deception, you were hurting Roy not helping. Plus you are wasting his time and resources.

You are a lucky rich idiot....who seems not to value other people's time or their reputations.

Operate in the real world.....stop acting like a child.

99.9% of dealers would have told you fcuk off and made you keep the car.

There are no perfect used cars....you are bitching about a 3 year old car.

Buy a new one if you want perfect.

i agree completly. 9.9/10 used cars and you don't even look at car before you buy. get a life!!!