Shotgun Recomendations?

blylek

We were in Scottsdale over the weekend and had a chance to swing by the Scottsdale Gun Club...holy crap, what a cool place! Tons of stuff to see and although I didn't shoot anything, there are certainly lots of things to rent and shoot. For those of you who have been, how well do you like it? For those of you who have not been, its likely worth a look (my son kept pointing out all of the "cool" looking auto-matic weapons...holy crap there were tons to see.

Now, I didn't pick anything up, but I am in the market for a shotgun and I'm thinking about a Benelli M2 or a Wilson Combat Border Patrol. Any thoughts/experience with these? Any others to consider within the same price range/category? Not going to use them to hunt, only planning on using them at the range and for home protection. This is the first shotgun I've been in the market for probably since shooting trap and going dove hunting while in high school. Things have definitely changed...shotguns seem to have more bells & whistles and add-on options than the AR-15 market!

Benelli

silo_502_m2_12_syn_ct_defense.jpg

Wilson Combat

08.jpg

I agree with the Remington 870. I think everyone that is ever into guns has/had one of them at one time.

I now have a Beretta 391 Urika that I bought 7 years ago and love it and still shoots great. I use it for hunting and at the range and do good with it. Never shot a Benelli except the Nova so I cant comment there, I know lots with them and they love them.

Can't go wrong with the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590.

The Mossberg 590A1 is a superior tactical shotgun. I highly recommend it. Side note: We need a guns subthread in the Sports section. They come up often! (Which is a good thing!)

who makes the semi auto shotgun now? i would love to have that for home protection

i shot a moss 590 yesterday with a pistol grip and boy does that thing kick! you better have some meat on your bones.

Pistol grip would be out for me as ive recently have developed a case of tennis elbow (recently being the operative word since Ive had this crap since march and nothing seems to be working...can't lift up a friggin glass of water some days!) and I'd be afraid of screwing it up further. But I'll bet it kick's like nobody's business!

who makes the semi auto shotgun now? i would love to have that for home protection

i shot a moss 590 yesterday with a pistol grip and boy does that thing kick! you better have some meat on your bones.

I have a semi auto benelli with a pistol grip.

what do those run $?

I got mine for $700, but it is a refurbished law enforcement gun. I believe the M4 posted above is pretty expensive.

M4 Retails new for $1700 but you can find them 100-200 cheaper. I've seen slightly used ones for $1300.

And there are available parts out there for the Super 90 LE conversion giving you the folding stock and an 8 round tube, all legally as well.

I have a Mossberg 590 Mariner with tactical light for home defense. Honestly, it's the best shotgun I could chose for the money. At the time the price was good and I have been very pleased with it. Holds 9 rounds too! It lets me mix up my shot choices. (1) Bird shot first as a nice warning, followed by (1) 00 Buck shot, followed by (7) slugs.

I have a Mossberg 590 Mariner with tactical light for home defense. Honestly, it's the best shotgun I could chose for the money. At the time the price was good and I have been very pleased with it. Holds 9 rounds too! It lets me mix up my shot choices. (1) Bird shot first as a nice warning, followed by (1) 00 Buck shot, followed by (7) slugs.

I do that too! I thought I was the only one :) I do (2) #1 Buckshot (I thought about 8 or 9 shot but I figured if its bad enough to fire a shotgun at them I might as well go for a killshot) followed by (2) 0 buckshot then (2) 00 buck then (2) Slugs.

If you can put 2 rounds of #1 buckshot into a body at the distance that a target would be inside a home it is game over and goodnight for that unlucky person.

I enjoy my Mossberg Tactical 500

Mossberg-500-Tactical-01.jpg

Easy to fire, holds 6 shells (1 in chamber 5 in the tube, and you can have another 5 ready for loading on the stock) and is easy to carry, easy to load. Easy to take apart... easy to clean... adjustable stock just push down a button and pull. Comes really well prepared out of the box. Saw a few other easy loading stocks you can get aftermarket that are super sweet.

Benelli is good too. But I love my mossberg.