Lotus debuts 2014 Elite

magneto112

Definitely caught off gaurd by this one. It doesnt even look like a Lotus, but I also think it looks very nice! Not exactly sure how I feel about a Lotus that weighs 3700lbs, but for a hardtop 2+2 convertible of this size, its not bad.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-shows/par...014-lotus-elite

par10-2014-lotus-elite-002_gallery_image_large.jpg

par10-2014-lotus-elite-003_gallery_image_large.jpg

par10-2014-lotus-elite-001_gallery_image_large.jpg

par10-2014-lotus-elite-004_gallery_image_large.jpg

Feast your eyes on the rakish new Elite from Lotus, scheduled for an official unveiling at the Paris Auto Show on September 30. This 2+2 front-mid-engine rear-wheel-drive sports car is about as far as you can go from Colin Chapman’s original. Slated to arrive in 2014, the Elite is expected to carry a price tag of around $180,000. Designed by the new Lotus styling team led by Donato Coco, the 181-in.-long coupe weighs in at 3700 lb. and features a retractable hardtop.

Power comes from a heavily revised Lexus 5.0-liter V-8 with an epicyclic hybrid gearbox with integrated electric motors and a front-mounted Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS). Power is rated at 542 bhp, or 611 bhp in the R-tuned version. Lotus predicts the Elite will hit 62 mph (100 km/h) in about 3.6 seconds. The 4-cam V-8 features both direct and port fuel injection with scavenged cylinder heads and a charge-cooled supercharger.

The Elite marks the first stage in a highly ambitious 10-year, $1.2 billion program that Lotus CEO Dany Bahar says will see Lotus challenge the likes of Aston Martin and Maserati by the middle of this decade, producing 7000–8000 cars per year. “Lotus can’t survive as a niche brand,” said Bahar. “It needs to be more appealing and has to exceed its rivals with better quality, class-leading emissions and performance at a better price.”

Does the world need a $180k Lotus "California"?

Answer: No.

I would bet that this one won't make production after they do a little market research, but plenty of their other new models will.

Bring on the Esprit, enough screweing around! :icon_thumleft:

while I am still anticipating the esprit, this is a car that I really could use... 2+2 and looks WAY better than the california. Lamborghini should build something similar to this...

Was looking foward to this... but it looks too generic, too Japanese. Couldn't they have come up with something more Lotus, more British?

It might look better in person, but it seems way too boring for this class, and it's not actually "arriving" until 2014. I'm not sure how well it will

age by then, even with a few inevitable tweaks.

Looking at it again today and a question:

How can that design as it's pictured be both a 2+2 and have a folding hardtop?

Some serious origami to get that much surface area tucked away, must be some Lotus engineering magic... :eusa_think:

Also wondering if that 5.0L V8 is the same powerplant an Esprit might get...even though it's massive for a Lotus sportscar, it's not out of the realm of possibility if the new management is going in such a radical departure from their core philiosophy with this Elite.

Looking at it again today and a question:

How can that design as it's pictured be both a 2+2 and have a folding hardtop?

Some serious origami to get that much surface area tucked away, must be some Lotus engineering magic... :eusa_think:

Also wondering if that 5.0L V8 is the same powerplant an Esprit might get...even though it's massive for a Lotus sportscar, it's not out of the realm of possibility if the new management is going in such a radical departure from their core philiosophy with this Elite.

Thats a great question about the top. Of the two pieces, the top and the back window, the back window section of the folding roof is longer then the trunk?! As is the roof section.

1. Too expensive. Ferrari marketing is screwing things up.

2. 2014 launch = all specs are BS. May as well be a concept.

3. It's just not a Lotus.

Nice mirrors! I can't imagine the car looking like this when they release it in 3+ years.

I think it has the silly side cameras in place of mirrors things....

I think it has the silly side cameras in place of mirrors things....

I hadn't heard of that before, that would take some getting used to.