Remedy for brake squeal in 03 Murci?

Smoky

I've read that brake squeal is common to all Lambos. I'm not sure if that is true, but if it is then what can be done about it? I've read about pastes, etc. But that doesn't seem long term, or is it? I don't want to have to reapply paste to my pads over and over.

The squeal goes away after some hard driving and braking but I don't always drive hard. It can be embarrassing at stop lights during in-town driving.

I am not using carbon/ceramic brakes just oem pads and rotors.

Is there a pad alternative that doesnt squeal? Or another solution?

Thx

Mine only goes away once they heat up, but I dont drive so hard that they stay hot. The squuuealll! What worries me is how to know when I hit the wear indicator (or if we even have one)

You mean get a louder exhaust?

Hopefully the engine isn't revving while you are coming to a stop, unless you are practicing high douchbaggery.

Mine only goes away once they heat up, but I dont drive so hard that they stay hot. The squuuealll! What worries me is how to know when I hit the wear indicator (or if we even have one)

My book says a light in the dash should light up saying of all things "brake wear"

Russell

My book says a light in the dash should light up saying of all things "brake wear"

Russell

Now that you mention it I do remember reading that. So many idiot lights... I can never remember them all. Lol

Still wish I could do something about that squeal. Change pad brands, rotors, or something.

Smoky,

This is a normal condition of factory OEM pads. They have metallic compounds that is designed to perform good at all the speeds these vehicles are capable of reaching, only downfall is they tend to squeak. If they went to a quieter pad the stopping power will be compromised as I was told by factory rep. You should hear the race cars as they brake (ouch to the ears).

What Kenny said, i.e. scrubbing the brakes, will also help. You can also pull the pads and have the leading edge of the pad ground down so that the pad essentially has some "toe" to it. That will help also. I don't know who does it anymore, but it can help solve the problem in some cases.

Interesting ideas. Kenny's sounds the most fun! :D

I do recognize the squeal is from the materials and is simply an artifact of performance brakes. Even the Brembos on my old 350Z would squeal in the cooler weather. And you can indeed tell the difference from a worn pad and a performance setup... something about the resonance or frequency I dunno. Prob talking out of my butt... it's the same sounds you'll hear in the pit at a race track. It's just if you're not "in the know" then those that aren't give up some stares. Funny it didn't bother me at first. I'll prob get over it again, especially now that I'm reminded there is actually a brakeewear indicator light on the dash.

Half of the reason I brought this up was to confirm that it is normal. If there was a remedy then cool...but mainly I just wanted to make sure that what I was reading/being told that this is normal was actually the case. I figure if it wasn't then all replies would be more like NSX2Murci's.... You are a lucky guy that your brakes don't squeal brother!!

Smoky,

From my experience, you'll have cracked rotors before pads are worn. Here is a picture of a recent one. Pads material was over 7mm Limit is 3mm.

brake_inspection.jpg

brake_inspection_2.jpg

Hey Smokey WD40 works wonders :icon_thumleft:

Had to get a little humor in there mine squeak too. :rant: