The Winkelmann Appreciation Thread....

Allan-Herbie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever met Winkelmann? Have you ever tried to talk to him? He is one of the most unaccessable, unffriendly and unaproachable people Ive ever met.. At a lambo event in Beverly Hills he actually had security to keep people away from him... Winkelmann could use some training from Valentino in the people person department..

He must be a miserable son of a gun behind closed doors. When I was at the factory last year, he walked in the doors, and it was like Stalin walked in. EVERYONE got quiet, told me not to approach him, and actually cleared out the area he was walking through. I'm amazed they can house a man with such an ego in such a small factory.

He must be a miserable son of a gun behind closed doors. When I was at the factory last year, he walked in the doors, and it was like Stalin walked in. EVERYONE got quiet, told me not to approach him, and actually cleared out the area he was walking through. I'm amazed they can house a man with such an ego in such a small factory.

Valentino and Brinkman told me he runs the company with a iron fist, Gestapo style sort of so your observation is correct.

Its funny, because the factory and him doesnt dont understand my first interaction with him was in 2005, on the Giro... 6yrs ago, long before all the KICK WINKELMANN in the balls threads..I knew he was a prick..

No i never met Winkelman, but do not think Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (Ferrari CEO for many years) is better...

I've met both Winkelmann and Luca di Montezemolo (as well as Piero Ferrari) on multiple occasions. I've also met Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh of McLaren. Of course your mileage may vary, but on each occasion Luca & Piero and Ron & Martin could not have been nicer to me. They were friendly and seemed to enjoy talking to people. Winkipoo on the other hand comes off like a prissy little queen who thinks his shit doesn't stink and can't be bothered to talk to anyone.

Throughout the years I've met a number of CEO's of car companies as well as other major corporations and I've never met anyone quite like this prick. Most are quite happy to talk about their company with their customers and potential customers. Winklefag needs to take a lesson from Balboni!!! Balboni couldn't be a nicer, more friendly guy. He's a true asset to Lamborghini, but Winkelfart has no people skills whatsoever and should not be allowed out of the office until he learns how to interact with others.

In this economy especially, a CEO needs to be like a politician and salesman combined when out meeting his customers and potential customers. As much as it may pain him he shouldn't be hiding behind guards, he should be out shaking every hand, posing with everyone who wants a picture, and doing his damndest to kiss all the ass he can. They can't afford to lose even one sale, and you sure as hell shouldn't leave an event thinking fcuk Lamborghini, why should I give them my hard earned money when their CEO acts like that.

The whole way this "introduction" of the LP700 was handled just epitomizes the arrogance of that company and it's jackass of a CEO. McLaren on the other hand, have gone out of their way to kiss their potential customers asses, and they'll reap the rewards of that!

I've met both Winkelmann and Luca di Montezemolo (as well as Piero Ferrari) on multiple occasions. I've also met Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh of McLaren. Of course your mileage may vary, but on each occasion Luca & Piero and Ron & Martin could not have been nicer to me. They were friendly and seemed to enjoy talking to people. Winkipoo on the other hand comes off like a prissy little queen who thinks his shit doesn't stink and can't be bothered to talk to anyone.

Throughout the years I've met a number of CEO's of car companies as well as other major corporations and I've never met anyone quite like this prick. Most are quite happy to talk about their company with their customers and potential customers. Winklefag needs to take a lesson from Balboni!!! Balboni couldn't be a nicer, more friendly guy. He's a true asset to Lamborghini, but Winkelfart has no people skills whatsoever and should not be allowed out of the office until he learns how to interact with others.

In this economy especially, a CEO needs to be like a politician and salesman combined when out meeting his customers and potential customers. As much as it may pain him he shouldn't be hiding behind guards, he should be out shaking every hand, posing with everyone who wants a picture, and doing his damndest to kiss all the ass he can. They can't afford to lose even one sale, and you sure as hell shouldn't leave an event thinking fcuk Lamborghini, why should I give them my hard earned money when their CEO acts like that.

The whole way this "introduction" of the LP700 was handled just epitomizes the arrogance of that company and it's jackass of a CEO. McLaren on the other hand, have gone out of their way to kiss their potential customers asses, and they'll reap the rewards of that!

:iamwithstupid:

I do not know Winkelman, this you know. I'm not a Lamborghini customer, i'm just a service and spare part customer, so i cannot know what happens on Lamborghini highest floor.

You all have a good knowledge of Lamborghini from the interior, you met Winkelman a lot of times, so if you say he is what you say he is, this of course is the truth or at least very close to the truth. So he does not have great relationship attidude and may be he is a bit s.o.b.

I met just Balboni, just one time, but it was enough to understand he was a very special kind of people.

I just see mr. W. from the outside, or better, i see (a bit) just the result of his work: the result is not bad, as there is a new composite material division plant, and an all new flagship model that could be a great car for years.

I do not want to speak about things that i do not know, i would be very stupid, so i do not want to speak about W any longer.

But i can say this, that i know well: the worst car related important fellow i met in my life was Enzo Ferrari, a real S.O.B., worse than german gestapo style, he acted like he was God on hearth, everyone was scared by his presence. My girl's uncle was his doctor, this is the only reason why i knew him. Enzo was very old and his doctor was a VIP in his latest years.

The important thing for us italians who live here between Modena and Bologna, is that Audi-VAG still believes in Lamborghini brand and so puts a lot of money and resources every year in this brand, not who is the CEO: a better CEO is always welcome, if he continues to put money here at S.#### and grows italian plant production (not the Ungarian plant).

Valentino and Brinkman told me he runs the company with a iron fist, Gestapo style sort of so your observation is correct.

That's not good...So much for positive working environment.

Never met him, I just think he has a giant head.

post-8083-1294785719.gif

I do think it was a mistake to not go with a double clutch transmission. My theory on why they did not is because they kept the same transmission in front of the engine, same as the Murci. They should have redesigned it and moved it to the back of the car and gone with a dual clutch setup. I don't think there is room for it in the current setup.

I would reserve the transmission likes and dislikes at least until I drive one, Lambo has much bigger issues than the transmission in their new car which can potentially be their greatest car ever.

So as I can see W is not an adored and cool person around here. :lol:

Guys, I'm going to disagree with most of you on this one. I strongly disagree with the personal attacks. I think they bring the status of this site down considerably. It's one thing to have disagreements with him, it's another to turn it into something personal. With all the personal attacks Allan, can you blame him for having his security keep you away? Who here would warm up to anyone undertaking a personal attack? You think that's going to get you a positive result? Also, he's got to deal with lots of people who have a personal agenda that differs from his mission. I've never once found him to be non-approachable on any level. You have a legitimate gripe, and you're a customer, he will hear you out directly.

My relationship with Stephan Winkelmann began with a disagreement and his response was to invite me to a face to face meeting in Italy and I accepted. This was where we first met. Even then we didn't agree on every point and over time as I've gotten to know him, I can assure all of you that he has a very, very difficult job, covering a wide variety of subjects. The guy works his ass off with very little sleep or time off. He lives out of a suitcase and you'd be that thin too if you had his schedule. He's fought very hard to keep the company in the black and keep is as Italian as possible while still having Audi and VW breathing down his neck. That company has a mountain of politics to overcome because of all the various brands, their interests, and a sea of red tape to overcome with ever changing regulations in every country where they sell cars. Yet he's managed to keep it moving forward. We don't always agree, but he has earned my respect.

Have they made some giant mistakes? Absolutely! They continue to make mistakes. It's an exotic car company! It's impossible to run one and NOT make mistakes. What exotic car company is run better? Ferrari? Hardly! See how far you get with that management team. Rolls Royce? They don't give a flying-fcuk about customers. Porsche? When do you ever see someone senior at anything? I could go on and on. Yea, I get mad about Lamborghini but at least I do something positive about it, something that hopefully helps all of us.

I encourage all of you, if you have a specific complaint, do something constructive, write him directly and come up with something more than a general solution, something that can actually work if implemented. The personal stuff is very low class and doesn't help any of us who care about the brand. Sorry if that's not a popular view here.

Aside from ruffling some feathers, is there any proof that he isn't a good CEO and that he isn't good for the company? Audi/VW management could surely get rid of him if they wanted. They haven't though. The VW guys seem to know a thing or two about running a very successful car company, so I don't think it's a case of the blind leading the blind. That must say something.

Allan keeps mentioning the transmission not being up to par. Well, because no one has driven it I don't know how that can be said. I'd reserve judgement until after the car is produced.

As for other technology being behind, I think it's simply business. If you look at the direction that VW is going, they are creating compatible platforms across all the brands as a long term strategy. I don't see the LP700 as part of this new synergy (I hate that word,) and probably isn't compatible with the direction things are going in. If the next generation Gallardo and R8 (and who knows what else) are to share a platform and many components, then that is probably far more important than the LP700. They aren't going to appropriate the same resources to a 1000/year car as they will to a 10000/year car.

I see the LP700 as a transition car and maybe a testbed for some technology. They pushed it out now because it is needed to keep the brand chugging along while the money makers are still in development.

In the end, it's just a car brand and the CEO is just some guy. It's not like he rides in the passenger seat with you. If the technology or the guy doesn't live up to your standards, just buy something else in the mean time. I imagine there will eventually be a Lamborghini that you'll want.

Guys, I'm going to disagree with most of you on this one. I strongly disagree with the personal attacks. I think they bring the status of this site down considerably. It's one thing to have disagreements with him, it's another to turn it into something personal. With all the personal attacks Allan, can you blame him for having his security keep you away? Who here would warm up to anyone undertaking a personal attack? You think that's going to get you a positive result? Also, he's got to deal with lots of people who have a personal agenda that differs from his mission. I've never once found him to be non-approachable on any level. You have a legitimate gripe, and you're a customer, he will hear you out directly.

My relationship with Stephan Winkelmann began with a disagreement and his response was to invite me to a face to face meeting in Italy and I accepted. This was where we first met. Even then we didn't agree on every point and over time as I've gotten to know him, I can assure all of you that he has a very, very difficult job, covering a wide variety of subjects. The guy works his ass off with very little sleep or time off. He lives out of a suitcase and you'd be that thin too if you had his schedule. He's fought very hard to keep the company in the black and keep is as Italian as possible while still having Audi and VW breathing down his neck. That company has a mountain of politics to overcome because of all the various brands, their interests, and a sea of red tape to overcome with ever changing regulations in every country where they sell cars. Yet he's managed to keep it moving forward. We don't always agree, but he has earned my respect.

Have they made some giant mistakes? Absolutely! They continue to make mistakes. It's an exotic car company! It's impossible to run one and NOT make mistakes. What exotic car company is run better? Ferrari? Hardly! See how far you get with that management team. Rolls Royce? They don't give a flying-fcuk about customers. Porsche? When do you ever see someone senior at anything? I could go on and on. Yea, I get mad about Lamborghini but at least I do something positive about it, something that hopefully helps all of us.

I encourage all of you, if you have a specific complaint, do something constructive, write him directly and come up with something more than a general solution, something that can actually work if implemented. The personal stuff is very low class and doesn't help any of us who care about the brand. Sorry if that's not a popular view here.

I am going to disagree... And btw.. it wasnt me who security was keeping from him... :icon_thumleft:

I have no idea how he runs the company when looking at the numbers. What I do know though is that he is a arrogant person and that he runs Lamborghini like a former Gestapo fanboy and that creates a much less fun/productive place to work in (theese words come from employees of Lamborghini directly to me)

My only real "problem" with Winkelmann is the size of his head, I really would like to touch it, measure it and just stare it, I am fascinated by it! :icon_thumleft:

My only real "problem" with Winkelmann is the size of his head, I really would like to touch it, measure it and just stare it, I am fascinated by it! :icon_thumleft:

:shock: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I have no idea how he runs the company when looking at the numbers. What I do know though is that he is a arrogant person and that he runs Lamborghini like a former Gestapo fanboy and that creates a much less fun/productive place to work in (theese words come from employees of Lamborghini directly to me)

When I was at the factory we ate in the employee cafeteria together and the employees were all joking with him and seemed to have a good relationship with him and the other members of the management team. Everywhere we went people shot friendly exchanges to each other and I never got the sense it was an uptight place to work. I do know that there is a lot of politics in play, especially given how they are structured with Lamborghini reporting to Audi who reports to VW, who in my opinion has their own product problems to solve, given how low they score on JD Power.

I see a lot of problems with how the US is managed and hopefully Wolfgang Hoffmann will get a better understanding of how things work in the US. We aren't the big market we once were, yea, a lot of that is the factory's fault, but it was inevitable given our own economy and the strength of other world markets. Until the US gets its own act together, I don't see the US as a sales mecca anymore for anything exotic.

I dont have a dog in this hunt, however, I will say that while the US/NA may not be the hottest market globally at this point, the issue lies with market share. Regardless of where we stack up in total volume as a comparative to other markets, in order to remain competitive and achieve a bounce during a recovery is to be vigilant and maintain loyal following through unmatched customer service (dealer/manufacture) and ground breaking products. I do believe the forthcoming models will be superb and, presumably, kick start sales, however, with mclaren entering the fray, the game is changing.

The good news is that a rising tide lifts all boats and, in this case, made for a good call and somewhat preemptive strike by Lambo brass by utilizing carbon structures. Had that call been blown, Lambo would be playing a serious game of catch up.

The problem, however, as I see it is that mclaren has an opportunity to genuinely stand up and provide a level client service and involvement where perhaps lambo and ferrari both missed out from a manufacturers perspective. It is a fine line to be both aspirational and client driven without removing the aura or mystique. The simple answer for mclaren, however, is to build one fewer than can be sold and be the clients best friend while trading on genuine F1 derived technology, all with a british enthusiasts flair devoid of Italian superiority. Thats a club to which I desire to belong.

The one thing I find disagreement with is this statement:

"...(The) company has a mountain of politics to overcome because of all the various brands, their interests, and a sea of red tape to overcome with ever changing regulations in every country where they sell cars. Yet he's managed to keep it moving forward...."

They've no more of a 'sea of red tape' than any other automotive manufacturers in the world-wide market. It goes with the job !

What he is saying here is that not only is he more beautiful than the Gallardo, he is also faster!

Yeh! I'll say he is faster. Remember how fast he ran from the Brunch appearance at the Fairemont about a year ago? What about those short pants he always wears? GEEK!

Tommy with all the pull you are claiming to have with Lamborghini and their CEO I would expect you to bring a lot more to the table here on LP for your LP brothers

but the only thing you seem to be excellent at is taking their side when we express our concerns.

There is a lot Lambo can learn just by listening to us, the customer, if you have the in with your best buddy Winkelmann, we can put a nice letter together for you send you to Italy so you can personally deliver it to him than wait in the lobby to bring back the reply.

We all know how difficult their job is, we are all familiar with the world's economy, markets etc etc etc

but when I get a better treatment at Toyota when I drop $30k than at Lamborghini when I drop $600k you bet I am not happy.

I bought a new Porsche 4 years ago I still get from Porsche, magazines, letters, invites to events, test drives of new cars, Christmas Cards, Birthday Cards, bottles of wine, same from the Benz dealer.

I know it is insignificant stuff but it shows how committed these companies are to keeping in touch with their customer base.

Tommy with all the pull you are claiming to have with Lamborghini and their CEO I would expect you to bring a lot more to the table here on LP for your LP brothers

but the only thing you seem to be excellent at is taking their side when we express our concerns.

There is a lot Lambo can learn just by listening to us, the customer, if you have the in with your best buddy Winkelmann, we can put a nice letter together for you send you to Italy so you can personally deliver it to him than wait in the lobby to bring back the reply.

We all know how difficult their job is, we are all familiar with the world's economy, markets etc etc etc

but when I get a better treatment at Toyota when I drop $30k than at Lamborghini when I drop $600k you bet I am not happy.

I bought a new Porsche 4 years ago I still get from Porsche, magazines, letters, invites to events, test drives of new cars, Christmas Cards, Birthday Cards, bottles of wine, same from the Benz dealer.

I know it is insignificant stuff but it shows how committed these companies are to keeping in touch with their customer base.

This looks to be a good thing: if there is a problem, tell this all togheter to S.####, may be the problem is the USA marketing manager or something like this.

Sure they sell too few car in the USA, so there must be a problem somewhere.

Here the Lamborghini customer care seems to work not bad as there.

If you want, i can take a copy of your letter and put it directly into the hands of somebody i know inside the factory here. He is Italian and not German, but very very powerful. I do not know if this can help a bunch of powerful rich Lamborghini customer that usually talk directly with Winkelman, but if you want...

ciao