Jailbreaking/Unlocking iPhone4, Pros/Cons

TheFilipinoStig

I have an iPhone4 on ATT, (works fine in my area), and am wondering if jailbreaking/unlocking would be beneficial for traveling abroad this Summer for a month. I'll be in Germany most of the time. I was thinking of getting a SIM card there. Also, the ability to use after-market/non-approved apps sounds enticing. Any thoughts on this? Pros/Cons? I don't think I will really NEED a phone over there, I can Skype friends/family once in awhile at Wi-Fi spots - I really just need the built in GPS (using aftermarket apps), the camera, and wi-fi features.

The fact that you actually have to jailbreak the phone to get it working like you'd like is the killer with me. It's always been this way with Apple, their way or GTFO. Just simple stuff like getting the date to show on the top bar on the iPad or the calender at the standby screen on the iPhone requires a jailbreak, WTF??!

I never had an iPhone, but I hear you even have to jailbreak it to get your own ringtones and sounds for free?

This changes everything. Again. Right?? Lol....

The fact that you actually have to jailbreak the phone to get it working like you'd like is the killer with me. It's always been this way with Apple, their way or GTFO. Just simple stuff like getting the date to show on the top bar on the iPad or the calender at the standby screen on the iPhone requires a jailbreak, WTF??!

I never had an iPhone, but I hear you even have to jailbreak it to get your own ringtones and sounds for free?

This changes everything. Again. Right?? Lol....

Ya, I know. Honestly I have been quite satisfied with it since I've had it (when it first came out). I usually get tired of phone pretty fast. I couldn't stand the Android phones, their interface and controls were just off. The Apple seems to have a better touch screen, better reliability, and easier to use. Plus it syncs brilliantly with my iTunes and iCal. It just doesn't iWorkoverseas or iUse a good mapping system that works globally.

Ya, I know. Honestly I have been quite satisfied with it since I've had it (when it first came out). I usually get tired of phone pretty fast. I couldn't stand the Android phones, their interface and controls were just off. The Apple seems to have a better touch screen, better reliability, and easier to use. Plus it syncs brilliantly with my iTunes and iCal. It just doesn't iWorkoverseas or iUse a good mapping system that works globally.

This is the advantage Apple have, they're on a locked platform. Android is designed to run on any phone, even crappy ones. So you might very well buy a crappy phone with Android, and stamp Android as a shitty OS because it sucks on that phone.

Android on a proper phone leaves iPhone in the dust, just look at the LG Optimus 2X.

Anyway back to your question, is the iPhone really locked to your operator? Several friends of mine have bought iPhones in the US and used them in Europe without jailbreaking them.

Since when do you have access to physically put a different carrier sim card in the phone?

All iphones I have seen are solid without removable back covers...

Since when do you have access to physically put a different carrier sim card in the phone?

All iphones I have seen are solid without removable back covers...

They have a little slot on the side.

iphone_4_sim_card_slot.jpeg

I have an iPhone4 on ATT, (works fine in my area), and am wondering if jailbreaking/unlocking would be beneficial for traveling abroad this Summer for a month. I'll be in Germany most of the time. I was thinking of getting a SIM card there. Also, the ability to use after-market/non-approved apps sounds enticing. Any thoughts on this? Pros/Cons? I don't think I will really NEED a phone over there, I can Skype friends/family once in awhile at Wi-Fi spots - I really just need the built in GPS (using aftermarket apps), the camera, and wi-fi features.

The first step is to check the software version on your phone. 4.3 is the latest version of the software and the one that Itunes wants to put on your phone.

Go to setting then general and then about. Look for "Version" it display like this "4.2.1 (8c148)"

The first set of numbers is the key. it can be anywhere from 4.0 to 4.3

Unlocking.

You can unlock the phone if that number is 4.0.2 or lower only.

See here http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/iPhone-iTouch-Jailbreak

Jailbreaking.

If the version is 4.3 you can jailbreak but it will be tethered which means you need to connect the phone to a computer every time it restarts

If its a below 4.3 then you can jailbreak and it wont be tethered. IE you can use the phone normally.

My JB apps.

Iblacklist

Is my favorite jailbreak app by far. It lets me block numbers from calling or texting my phone. Previously I had it blocking all toll free numbers (typically spam) right now I have it set so that only 3 people can call or text me from 11pm to 8am.

lockdownpro

This app lets me lock each application with a password. IE you can set it so that your photos, text, phone calls, contacts are all locked but games are not. then let a family member or friend use the phone :)

Most of my jailbreak apps are for customizing the layout of the phone.

animated weather widget on the lockscreen.

video wall paper

5 rows of icons on dock and screen

Customized many of my icons appearance.

unlimited icons in folders.

numeric information for signal strength rather then bars.

changed color and type of icon font.

If you take the sim out of the phone then the GPS will still work but you need an app that has the maps on file.

If you are using the phone in drastically different location (ie another country) I have heard it can take up to 15 minutes for the phone to locate GPS signal

I have the app Navigon which I really liked but it has one HUGE FLAW.

It will only search for POI with in 10 miles.

If your on the highway and want to find the closest gas station without using data then you better hope its within 10 miles or you will get a no results found.

Navigon claims they do this to prevent an overload of locations being returned. Which in downtown New York makes sense.

but if your on the highway you need to know where the next gas station is regardless of distance.

A much better option would be to limit the results found to 10 miles if there are results to be found. if not to expand the search till it finds a couple of options.

Sorry for the side rant

If you take the sim out of the phone then the GPS will still work but you need an app that has the maps on file.

If you are using the phone in drastically different location (ie another country) I have heard it can take up to 15 minutes for the phone to locate GPS signal

I have the app Navigon which I really liked but it has one HUGE FLAW.

It will only search for POI with in 10 miles.

If your on the highway and want to find the closest gas station without using data then you better hope its within 10 miles or you will get a no results found.

Navigon claims they do this to prevent an overload of locations being returned. Which in downtown New York makes sense.

but if your on the highway you need to know where the next gas station is regardless of distance.

A much better option would be to limit the results found to 10 miles if there are results to be found. if not to expand the search till it finds a couple of options.

Sorry for the side rant

That's actually the most important thing for me. I was looking at Navigon Europe or CoPilot Live for GPS software on my iPhone, jailbroken or not. Thanks for the tips. I think as long as the GPS works over there I should be good. I also thought you could simply purchase another SIM card over there, and have that work for a month on a Euro calling plan?

That's actually the most important thing for me. I was looking at Navigon Europe or CoPilot Live for GPS software on my iPhone, jailbroken or not. Thanks for the tips. I think as long as the GPS works over there I should be good. I also thought you could simply purchase another SIM card over there, and have that work for a month on a Euro calling plan?

To purchase a SIM card over there the phone needs to be unlocked.

To purchase a SIM card over there the phone needs to be unlocked.

Okay, thanks. I am still unsure whether I really even need phone capabilities. I'll be traveling by myself most of the time, and really the only need to contact a place would be for reservations if something changes (booking way ahead of time), or for emergencies.

Anyone have any tips for doing the unlock/jailbreak thing? I'm running the latest OS.

Unlock: use the phone with another carrier that uses the same network.

Jailbreak: add applications to the phone that Apple doesn't approve and customize the display

If you have 4.3.1 then you cant unlock but you can jailbreak.

If you still want to jailbreak this guide is pretty good.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14562

one step that is missing is Itunes will ask you if you want to set up as a new phone or restore from back up.

if you don't restore from backup your phone will be as it was when you first bought it.

I was all excited to jialbreak my iPhone when I got it, but I noticed it ran a lot slower and became glitchy. I went to the original Apple format, and am much happier.