It's new clutch time

whiteout

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates. The car should be finished tomorrow.

I cannot believe how quiet the car is with this exhaust:

DSC00448.jpg

Found out that I have aftermarket air filters :D

DSC00449.jpg

Driveshaft delete plate:

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

I cannot wait to drive this again. :D

Nick

The way it was. I decided to keep the primaries.

Nick

Dump the primaries so you can scare people! I plan on doing so next week

Steve figured out why the clutch was smoking upon start up. The previous owner installed this stop for the clutch pedal so that it wouldn't fully disengage the clutch from flywheel.

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

Nick

Steve figured out why the clutch was smoking upon start up. The previous owner installed this stop for the clutch pedal so that it wouldn't fully disengage the clutch from flywheel.

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

Nick

That was kinda stupid of them,It would get worse as the clutch wore?, do you know the thoughts behind it?

Also I think the pics show a LOC exhaust.

again, i'm almost 99.9% sure on who's car this was. and if it is, it definitely is an LOC exhaust. i was there when he bought the car and dropped him off to get the exhaust put on back at the old LOC location.

again, i'm almost 99.9% sure on who's car this was. and if it is, it definitely is an LOC exhaust. i was there when he bought the car and dropped him off to get the exhaust put on back at the old LOC location.

Random bit of info... the old LOC location is now an offroad shop.

Yeah, LOC for sure.

Just to shorten pedal throw. It's good on some cars, but when improperly installed can clearly cause some major issues. If I knew that the car had it, I would have removed it.

Nick

Last night I put about 40 miles on the car; a mix of stop and go traffic, 80mph highway, and 3 3rd gear pulls:

1. The car is FAST! The 3rd gear pull is insane, I cannot wait to get some room and see how 4th and 5th gear are. :D

2. I averaged 22mpg!

3. TC is pissed.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work! I would have honestly expected those clutches to look far more complex than what I see in the pictures, it's cool to actually see one apart for the first time (I had never seen one until now). Everything cleaned up nicely! But wow, big clutch and flywheel! Looks huge in diameter from the pics! Am I crazy or are the two bottom pieces (Pressure plate and disc) glazed a bit in that first picture with the clutch plates? Looks like some uneven wear on that first disc and PP, or is that because of the rivets (sort of looks like the marks are where the rivets sit on the disc) had worn the material down to them?

Flywheel looks nice! No crazy burning or anything, turned nicely!

I actually haven't inspected the old clutch in person. But, the wear on the clutch and pressure-plate is apparent, and the clutch was slipping badly. So I have no doubt that it's glazed. My schedule clears up in about 1.5 weeks and I'm heading over to pick up the old clutch. I can give you a better description then.

Nick

I actually haven't inspected the old clutch in person. But, the wear on the clutch and pressure-plate is apparent, and the clutch was slipping badly. So I have no doubt that it's glazed. My schedule clears up in about 1.5 weeks and I'm heading over to pick up the old clutch. I can give you a better description then.

Nick

Cool, I love technical stuff. :) If you don't mind that is... I just like learning. Always cool to see stuff out of cars like that. I ended up having slipping/chatter issues on my 911 due to a tapered flywheel (whoever did the machine work tapered it, not flat, not cool.), it's amazing how simple little things can cause such crazy failures.