The First Car to 3 Million Miles?

Redlambo

Prepare to feel insignificant. Irv Gordon from East Patchogue, New York, and his 1966 Volvo P1800, have completed over 2.9 million miles together. If you're after an arbitrary comparison to offer some perspective, that's around six round-trips to the moon, or over 116 circumnavigations of Earth.

Got to give the guy credit. Vic

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-first-car-...ion-miles-.html

Didn't volvo give him a new car at 1 million miles? I wonder what components he's replaced. It is interesting that the car has lasted that long with that many miles on it.

Volvos are great for high mileage. The redblock of the 240 series can snap a timing belt and not munch the valves; replacement timing belt is ~$5 and takes about 30 min to replace. lol

Also, I would love to see the 250k mile Lambo.

Nick

All those different cars are impressive. Was pretty cool to see that the Murcie was only on it's 4 clutch at 122k miles (or did they mean 4 clutch in the time of the current ownership? Which was still about 80k miles).

I had an aunt that racked up about 750,000 miles on an old old subaru. 3 engines, 4 transmissions later...

My 911 is going on 200k.

I don't think I could drive a Volvo for 3 miles let alone 3,000,000

I've loved my Volvos, they are a lot more fun to drive than you would think.

Nick

Didn't volvo give him a new car at 1 million miles? I wonder what components he's replaced. It is interesting that the car has lasted that long with that many miles on it.

I believe they did, sometime in the late '80s. I'm sure the Volvo community has good info on the maintenance. If it turns out he had a few engine rebuilds, are we to marvel over a chassis that's lasted this long?

We're looking at around 65k/year since he bought the thing.

I don't think I could drive a Volvo for 3 miles let alone 3,000,000

Haha. But it is fascinating that there is 1 person who has driven any car (let alone this one) for that many miles.

... they are a lot more fun to drive than you would think.

Nick

:iamwithstupid:

• 2 weeks later...