2012 991 pics...

FikseSTS

Saw the pics on Jalopnik. While it's not a radically different change , as it is a 911, I think it continues to look great in it's newest "refresh".

IMO the 997.2 looks better

Agree, but the revised and updated interior of the 991 is a far bigger improvement than the outside of the car. Enough to make you overlook a slight preference to the 997's exterior in my opinion.

Will be a great car, looking forward to seeing what they do with the TT, GT3/GT2 variants.

From Autocar: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258806/

"Cabriolet and four-wheel-drive variants will follow in 2012, and pave the way for a range-topping Turbo packing 523bhp in 2013."

"The new model receives a new seven-speed manual gearbox — a first for a series production road car. It has been described as being closely related to the new car’s optional seven-speed dual-clutch PDK gearbox. Both gearboxes have been engineered to support standard automatic stop-start and brake energy recuperation."

This new manual gearbox sounds interesting.

From Autocar: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258806/

"Cabriolet and four-wheel-drive variants will follow in 2012, and pave the way for a range-topping Turbo packing 523bhp in 2013."

"The new model receives a new seven-speed manual gearbox — a first for a series production road car. It has been described as being closely related to the new car’s optional seven-speed dual-clutch PDK gearbox. Both gearboxes have been engineered to support standard automatic stop-start and brake energy recuperation."

This new manual gearbox sounds interesting.

New manual is stupid, 6 gears to row is bad enough in these cars (and mostly useless) 7 is pure nonsense. If someone is that concerned about being in the optimal powerband to think they need 7 gears then they're also likely aware that PDK is a MUCH faster/better solution for their goal of lowering times at the track.

And I never believed the "mega-HP" claims on the 991 TT that were being talked about in the other threads as that's just not who Porsche is. It doesn't mean they won't do a 580-600hp GT2, but even that is doubtful. 523hp sounds exactly right to me, it's close to what I would have guessed for the non-S base 991 Turbo.

The 911TT isn't a car that has ever been slotted in to compete with the entry-level of Ferrari/Lamborghini despite some of the impressive numbers the 997.2 Turbo S has put down. They're happy staying well below $200k and having the right power level for that price category.

This is from another site:

"Why the additional cog? Porsche reportedly wanted to supply the next 911 with a taller final gear in order to improve fuel efficiency."

This means in normal spirited driving you won't be using the 7th gear, if its only designed for fuel efficiency, and if you are using it you are most likely on a highway and won't be shifting much anyway. I think we just have to wait until someone drives the new 911 with said transmission to see how it feels.

This is from another site:

"Why the additional cog? Porsche reportedly wanted to supply the next 911 with a taller final gear in order to improve fuel efficiency."

This means in normal spirited driving you won't be using the 7th gear, if its only designed for fuel efficiency, and if you are using it you are most likely on a highway and won't be shifting much anyway. I think we just have to wait until someone drives the new 911 with said transmission to see how it feels.

No, it means those of us who always go to the top gear when driving, even in the city, will simply have to row another gear. :)

It's not a personal critique, it's a critique on Porsche as this is beyond idiotic. As was the move to 6 gears 20 years ago, which got similar protests from me at that time.

When I was 16, the 911 Turbo had FOUR gears...what's next, 8? 10? See how silly this is just to meet fuel regs? ;)

Regardless, manuals are sadly dead and the faster we all get used to it the better off we'll be. I don't think it's a coincidence that the cheapest F430s and Gallardos in the classifieds are 90% manual transmissions...despite FAR lower production numbers (which make them somewhat rare).

It seems even the diehards want auto-clutches now thanks to rediculous traffic and urban sprawl unfortunately. :crybaby2: