Hurricane Irene

pockmark

I live in Northwest Jersey and people are definitely prepping for the worst around here. I myself just went outside and walked around my entire property, put anything at all I thought could come loose in high winds and put it inside the garage (garbage cans, wind-chimes, hose reel, few potted plants, etc.).

A friend of mine has a million dollar shore house 3 DOORS DOWN FROM THE WATER in Lavalette, NJ, about an hour and a half from here. This afternoon, about 10 of us got into a fight with her on Facebook, because she posted a picture of herself driving South on the parkway heading to her shore house for the weekend, while traffic was as far as the eye could see heading NORTH on the opposite side. She had made a post saying that she couldnt understand "why people are freaking out", its "just a storm people" etc. etc. etc.

When we politely tried to remind her that entire SHORE TOWNS (in fact, the VERY shore towns that SURROUND Lavallette, ie Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, etc.) were being evacuated, and that the waves were supposed to be 10 feet higher than high tide, she didnt want to listen at all. Just kept insisting howe much people were over-reacting, and that she was not giving up one of the last weekends to stay down at her shore house over the summer because of a "warning".

I am praying to God nothing happens to her or her house, as I would hate to hear something happened IF the storm does hit as hard as they say it might. There was just no reasoning with her today. :eusa_wall:

Stay safe guys and gals!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of updates from my management company.

Looks like still a Cat 2 at 105mph winds - looks like it is going to hit directly on top of the outerbanks. They said it will be an in and out hit. Outerband hitting to the east of the Outerbanks, bringing 28 - 40 foot waves from the Atlantic side. Then the eye will go just toward the sound on the west side of the outerbanks - causing the surge from the sound side as well. So both sides of the OBX looks like it will get hit. The surge is the killer for barrier islands.

Right now they are reporting 20 foot waves in Kill Devil Hills (just about 30 miles south of our beach house). And the worst should be coming in the next 6 hours or so.

Ugghhh will know tomorrow morning on what it is looking like.

I was in Spartanburg, SC most of the day today....left Charleston around 7:30 AM and got back around 10:30.

Called several people and then saw it with my own eyes.....a complete non event today in Charleston and surrounding areas, not even heavy rains which we've gotten a week ago.

As for NYC, hopefully a non event as well. I can't believe they are shutting down subways and LIRR.

Couple of updates from my management company.

Looks like still a Cat 2 at 105mph winds - looks like it is going to hit directly on top of the outerbanks. They said it will be an in and out hit. Outerband hitting to the east of the Outerbanks, bringing 28 - 40 foot waves from the Atlantic side. Then the eye will go just toward the sound on the west side of the outerbanks - causing the surge from the sound side as well. So both sides of the OBX looks like it will get hit. The surge is the killer for barrier islands.

Right now they are reporting 20 foot waves in Kill Devil Hills (just about 30 miles south of our beach house). And the worst should be coming in the next 6 hours or so.

Ugghhh will know tomorrow morning on what it is looking like.

It's 3:00 am and she still hasn't even made land fall yet and not to mention she is only moving at 14 mph so we can expect atleast another 8-10 hours of this. I hope nothing goes wrong with your beach house but of course that is why we purchase insurance!

They took all the ships in Newport news and moved them out of the harbor into deep sea, including all the submarines... They also dry docked several smaller vessels. They never have done this with any of the storms I have seen in the last 15 years.

Are those boats even safe in deep sea if you are getting HUGE waves?

Good luck to everyone, stay safe.

Day 6, still no power. Generator is good for another 14 days before I need more propane. Just got cable TV back last night. Things are looking up

Day 6, still no power. Generator is good for another 14 days before I need more propane. Just got cable TV back last night. Things are looking up

You're in Nassau right?

Sorry to hear. I only thought deep Suffolk gets the brunt of the storm issues.

You're in Nassau right?

Sorry to hear. I only thought deep Suffolk gets the brunt of the storm issues.

Yup, I'm in Nassau. Flower Hill. We lose power if a hummingbird flies bye, that's why I have a generator.

Finally got power back 1:00 Friday afternoon. Geeze, you would think we lived in the backwoods someplace.

I went past the staging area on Tuesday, had to be 60 trucks from all over the country. Guys standing around waiting for assignments. LIPA is by far the worst power authority in the country.