College Football 2011

Roman

Urban Meyer would have him on staff allegedly. We'll see though as nothing is set in stone. My college-friends are unreliable :lol2:

http://deadspin.com/5861096/urban-meyer-re...it-as-assistant

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baylor/OU game was fun to watch...go Bears! Going to be a friggin rematch between LSU and Bama in the national title game. Even if Arkansas manages to beat LSU, the BCS will still put them together in the title game...fricken BCS...

Crazy week in College Football....

1 LSU

2 Houston

3 Alabama

4 Arkansas

5 Stanford

6 Virginia Tech

7 Oklahoma State

8 Boise State

9 Oregon

10 Georgia

11 Kansas St

12 Pedophile State

13 South Carolina

14 Michigan St

15 Michigan

16 USC

17 Wisconson

18 Clemson

19 Oklahoma

20 Arkansas St

21 TCU

22 Southern Miss

23 Baylor

24 Notre Dame

25 Nebraska

Shaping up to be a complete cluster fcuk in the National Title game.... I Anticipated this from the beginning.... Which was one of the reasons I started keeping this poll.... In my opinion, LSU is the best team in the country.... Alabama had their shot....

HOUSTON by virtue of their undefeated season DESERVES a shot at it.... "But theyll lose"... Probably... But WE KNOW that Alabama has already lost...

Which brings back another change Il would make- BRING BACK THE TIE!!!!! If a bunch of these games that ended in triple overtimes (in the DUMBEST overtime rule in all of sports) had ended in ties instead, the National Title picture would look MUCH clearer....

1 LSU

2 Houston

3 Alabama

4 Stanford

5 Virginia Tech

6 Oklahoma State

7 Boise State

8 Arkansas

9 Oregon

10 Georgia

11 Kansas St

12 South Carolina

13 Michigan St

14 Michigan

15 USC

16 Wisconson

17 Oklahoma

18 Arkansas St

19 TCU

20 Southern Miss

21 Pedophile State

22 Baylor

23 Nebraska

24 Clemson

25 West VA

If Houston had actually made a schedule to compete I would be inclined to agree. However, you don't play in the BCS National Championship after not playing a single ranked team, and beating Georgia State by 1 point. Just MHO.

If Houston had actually made a schedule to compete I would be inclined to agree. However, you don't play in the BCS National Championship after not playing a single ranked team, and beating Georgia State by 1 point. Just MHO.

They dont control their schedule.... They play who they are scheduled to play, and they beat them.

I hear all this "Schedule" bullshit... You know whats funny.... It doesnt fcuking matter WHAT CONFERENCE you play in.... WINNING IS HARD. Going UNDEFEATED DAMNED NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. If it meant a goddamned thing, the SUNBELT, and MAC would be filled with 1 and two loss teams.... Guess what... Combined they have 1 two loss team....

Houston is undefeated, and they deserve a shot for doing it.... Its the only outcome that MAKES SENSE...

Alabama had their bite at the apple.... They lost (Tied really) in what was a SNOOZER of a game. I have zero interest in watching that again.

Not only that, its BAD FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL.... ITS BAD FOR THE BCS.... It makes the NATIONAL Championship, into a regional championship.... Its the third incarnation of the SEC title game.... Guess what, that may make the SEC circle jerkers happy, but the rest of the country will be uninterested. Beyond that, it further convinces the rest of the country that the whole fcuking system is RIGGED.... The fix is fcuking in....

All these fcuking people who scream for a playoff... WE HAVE ONE. Its a single elimination 13 game playoff system... You lose, Youre out.... The way the BCS would run a playoff is EXACTLY LIKE THIS.... If you lose, but we wish you hadnt, were going to let you move on to the next round... If you win, and we wish you hadnt, sorry, no championship for you.

Yeah, I've read your stance on this every week. I hear where you're coming from. However, they do control who they play. The school signs the game contracts. However, if you know anything about the BCS then you know that strength of schedule IS A BIG FACTOR. If you don't schedule any strength then you're deciding your season before it starts. No schedule strength, no BCS, regardless of all the undefeated and great wins arguments. That's the way it is because that is the way the BCS set it up.

Yeah, I've read your stance on this every week. I hear where you're coming from. However, they do control who they play. The school signs the game contracts. However, if you know anything about the BCS then you know that strength of schedule IS A BIG FACTOR. If you don't schedule any strength then you're deciding your season before it starts. No schedule strength, no BCS, regardless of all the undefeated and great wins arguments. That's the way it is because that is the way the BCS set it up.

Youre caught in a circular argument...

First of all, why do you think I support the BCS? Would I spend 13 weeks doing this if I could just REPOST THEIR RANKINGS? The BCS is a CLUSTERFUCK. Its the biggest handjob in the world.

Second, the schools DONT pick their schedules.... With the exception of BYU, Army, Navy and Notre Dame, they are members of CONFERENCES (and three of those non conference teams are basically EXCLUDED from participation in the BCS... Notre Dame of course negotiated themselves INTO the picture, even if they have 2 losses, why? Because they "travel well".... And if that doesnt tell you all you need to know about the BCS, I dont know what will).

You HAVE to play your conference schedule. And that leaves you a few teams to choose from.... But you have no idea how GOOD those fcuking teams will turn out to be five years AFTER you schedule the game... Houston chose UCLA.. LSU Chose Oregon... (They also chose Division 2 "Northwestern State", but lets not hold THAT against them- That might upset the apple cart).

UCLA (despite the fact they got the shit kicked out of them last night) are going to represent the Pac 12 south in the title game... The Ducks will represent the North.

Take a look at some of the doormats in the SEC this year.... TENNESEE? FLORIDA? OLE MISS with their intimidating two wins. For that Im supposed to gush all over the SEC? fcuk that.... The BCS is a game of three card monte, and the SEC set it up to make sure theyre throwing the cards.

So the BCS throws in a "strength of schedule" which is really just a way to make SURE the big conferences (AHEM SEC) have the final say in who gets that TV money at the end of the year.

FINALLY, Alabama is NOT going to be the SEC champion... THEY CANT BE... THEY LOST, Theyre not even going to get to play for it... And if you dont win your CONFERENCE championship, how can you be the NATIONAL Champion? And so to use your same argument, thats too bad... They chose which conference they wanted to play in.... If they had chosen another conference, or to not play LSU, then maybe they could have won a conference championship.... But they didnt... So they should have fun at the Chick Fil A bowl.

Everybody should go out, right now and read Death to The BCS

REALLY good book, that lays out the evidence of WHY the BCS is more than just BAD.... ITS RIPPING US ALL OFF.... And I dont mean that in a fan sense... I mean it in a real, fleece the taxpayer, way.

I knew some of the stuff the authors lay out... Some of it has gone on in the bowl system for decades.... But I had no idea HOW BAD IT HAD GOTTEN... Schools are actually LOSING MONEY by attending bowl games. The money they reportedly get as "Payouts" are completely offset by "Ticket Guarantees" (which are a complete scam), forced hotel stays at hotel who have "contributed" to the Bowl, and non-reimbursed expenses. This leaves the schools- Most of whom are taxpayer subsidized state institutions, in the RED. THE MONEY generated by the BOWLS (in the forms of TV Contracts and Ticket Guarantees) is given to the executives of the BOWLS....

The BCS is run by the six commissioners of the six AQ conferences. THOSE SIX MEN ARE GETTING RICH AND FAT OFF THIS SYSTEM.... THEY ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO BENEFIT FROM IT. Even their TOP TIER member schools are getting FUCKED IN THE ASS by the BCS. The BCS is DESIGNED to PREVENT anybody OTHER than the teams these men CHOSE from getting money- Money that would help them improve their football programs.

The polls are a COMPLETE fcuking JOKE. Ive been compiling the "Lambo-Power Top 25" this season.... Guess what... As silly and unscientific as it is, its on the same or better level than the system the BCS uses. One of the "Computer polls" used to calculate the BCS, is run by a high school graduate in a trailer-park Oklahoma.... And every time the computers create a result the six commissioners dont like, THEY CHANGE THE FORMULA.

The book is INCREDIBLY well written.... Its a quick read.... And it may have changed my mind about a Playoff system. I dont yet support the 16 team Playoff they encourage (I think that its too BIG and unnecessary given the meat grinder that is the NCAA season) but I definitely agree, the BCS is ILLEGAL, and a FLEECING OF THE COUNTRY.

BTW... There is an ENTIRE CHAPTER that refutes Pcows assertion that a team controls its own schedule.... The Case in Point was MICHIGAN, who were unable to find ANY competition willing to play them for their 2010 season opener.... Teams are no longer willing to schedule serious non-conference games. Thats why LSU plays a 1AA team, Ohio State plays the Cleveland School for the Deaf, and the Gators play every JC in the state of Florida. Go 4-0 in Non Conference and you can afford to lose a game or maybe even two in your conference schedule and still be in the run for a BCS Bowl (Which may be BAD economically for the SCHOOL, but pays BIG bonuses to the Coaches and ADs.)

Reading it now, thanks for the link.

IMHO, if OK St. beats OK, they should go to the BCSNC. At this point I don't think anyone cares who goes, or who doesn't.

What will it take to get the BCS away from College football? What or whom would be the deciding factors? If we did remove the BS-CS from the equation what system would replace it in the immediate? Who decides what decision is made from there?

Lots of questions generally lead to people being complacent and accepting the broken system to not have to deal with the repercussions. An unfortunate truth, honestly.

Best

Damn... Did they mention anything about the bowl's non-profit status?

OHHHHHH YEAH they did.... Theres a whole chapter on it (Several in fact).

Heres the deal.... "Non Profit" is a legal term of art. It simply means that money that comes in is supposed to be used for some "public function" (and that term is broad enough to drive the OSU Marching Band through- literally) and that the money that comes in is not distributed to an owner, or shareholder.

But what ordinary people HEAR when they hear "non-profit"- but what it DOES NOT MEAN- is "CHARITY".

Non profits can (of course) have EMPLOYEES, and those employees can make a SHIT LOAD in Salary. Further, when the books of the major "Charities" that the bowls support, its usually to the tune of a PERCENTAGE of ONE PERCENT of what they take in.

A COMPLETE HEIST.

Reading it now, thanks for the link.

IMHO, if OK St. beats OK, they should go to the BCSNC. At this point I don't think anyone cares who goes, or who doesn't.

What will it take to get the BCS away from College football? What or whom would be the deciding factors? If we did remove the BS-CS from the equation what system would replace it in the immediate? Who decides what decision is made from there?

Lots of questions generally lead to people being complacent and accepting the broken system to not have to deal with the repercussions. An unfortunate truth, honestly.

Best

All of that is covered QUITE WELL in the book... One of their main thesis is, "The Lack of a CONCRETE Alternative is used by the BCS as an excuse to perpetuate itself." So they spend the last several chapters on just that....

I personally disagree with THEIR Solution... I think 16 is too much. It includes team who DONT deserve to be there. I would start with a "Plus One" which is the system Ive advocated for long before there was a BCS. I think under the old bowl system, by January 2nd we had a REALLY good handle on who the two BEST teams were. We werent always sure which was better than the other (And Im afriad we still arent, because too many times, one of them doesnt get invited to play).

Alternatively I would do a "Playoff of Champions".

We have 11 conferences in 1A. 12 if you count the "Independents" (which I think could EASILY be expanded and turned into its own Conference called "The Independent Conference" Or "Really old programs who do things their own way" conference- Who cares?) . The Champion of each of those conferences gets invited into the playoff.

You could maintain the "BCS" ranking system, and then SEED the teams based on that ranking. The 4 Champions with the highest ranking get a bye the first week (Or, you could even toss a bone to the 4 strong AQ conferences, SEC, Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 10- Or you could give it to the 4 Majors who still have a Championship Game- ACC, Big 10, Pac 10, SEC- I dont think doing it by conference is ideal, but its an alternative). The remaining 8 play each other the first round, - Sort of like the NFLs "Wild card" round... resulting in 4 who survive, plus the four who got byes. They play 4 games the next round resulting in 4 teams. They play 2 games, and the winners go to The Championship...

I know it favors those top 4 teams, but lets face it, theyre the only ones who even get to DREAM about a Championship NOW... And for two of THEM, it necessarily becomes a NIGHTMARE.

BTW... You all will come across this on your own after reading the book, but THIS SITE is another place to take a look at.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/s...football-120211

The national championship almost certainly will consist of LSU playing Alabama again despite ongoing politicking and hand-

wringing.

That is not necessarily the wrong outcome. Nor is it necessarily the right one.

It is merely the one given to us by the BCS, and therefore we should be inclined not to trust it. The BCS has a lot of objectives; none is finding the two best or most worthy teams for its championship game.

The system for determining that is a playoff, and a playoff is the nemesis of the BCS. Their game is what is more commonly known as a concession, giving up on a meaningless point to protect what really matters. And what really matters to the BCS is playing a four-corner offense on introducing a playoff format to the sport's postseason. They give us a championship game, and we are supposed to let the rest of the Ponzi scheme that is the bowls keep churning out money.

The fraud of this system has been taken down every way possible, with this weekend of championship games simply the most recent egregious example of how broken college football is.

Championship weekend in college football only kind of, sort of matters.

I say this as one of the idiots flying to Atlanta for an SEC championship game between LSU and Georgia where the only thing hinging on the outcome is whether the rich get richer. Win or lose Saturday, LSU is playing for the national championship. Its schedule is too tough, its dominance too complete not to. The Tigers have earned it, even with a loss. So the thrill of Saturday is seeing whether Georgia earns the SEC another share of BCS bowl cash.

That said, it is better than Oregon playing a .500 UCLA team with an already-fired coach. And it is much better than playing for The Trophy That Is No Longer Named After Joe Paterno before a small crowd of friends, family and Groupon subscribers in the Big Ten championship game.

In fact, the only game of championship weekend that matters is not a championship game at all. The Bedlam Game, featuring Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, merely pits rivals with the Cowboys needing a victory so they can argue they have five victories against Top 25 teams to Alabama’s mere two.

Yes, college football is coming to its yearly stirring conclusion — a philosophical debate about the merits of various one-loss, big-conference teams and whomever the undefeated team from the unwashed conference happens to be that year.

This year it is Houston. The Cougars have no shot.

My personal favorite is Boise State. Give Broncos coach Chris Petersen a month and he gives LSU a game. In an even mildly fair world, their body of work should qualify them for a chance. It won't.

The ACC has Virginia Tech. This feels like a joke to me.

What is possibly the best team in the country at the moment, USC, is banned from playing even though all the people responsible for the punishment are nowhere to be found. What a great world this is where the Trojans are done because a player long since gone, Reggie Bush, took cash he should have been legally paid, and Penn State is bowl-eligible despite apparently enabling an alleged child molester.

College football sure does have its priorities straight.

This leaves Stanford and Oklahoma State as the one-loss teams that are not going to supplant Alabama in the championship game but are being debated like it is a possibility anyway. There is a dichotomy even there. Oklahoma State is considered the good choice. Stanford is not, although, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why.

And this is the supposedly greatest bleeping sport where every game matters. Every game except those played on the final week of the season — and all to protect a bunch of old guys in matching pastel blazers and their ridiculously named bowls from having to find different ways to justify golf junkets with complicit athletic directors and university presidents.

The best part of having Oklahoma State in the mix is Cowboys coach Mike Gundy has shown a willingness to rant when properly provoked. Go get 'em, Mike, because your one loss is sure to be judged inferior to Alabama's one loss by people like Craig James.

James is the guy who thinks it’s totally acceptable to hire a PR firm and use his position as a football announcer for The Worldwide Leader to help get a coach fired to settle a vendetta that began with playing time for his son. Absolutely he is who you want to give a ballot to, allowing him to help determine who plays for the national championship.

I'd do a takedown of his most recent rankings, but Ty Duffy already did so at The Big Lead. Read it, then wonder how any logical sports-loving human can defend this system, a system that allows a great sport to crescendo in a debate that gives weight to voices like James'. There are those who argue metrics.

There are those who argue the absurdity, and having a Twitter handle of @everygamematters as you are about to stage a championship that contradicts that point is the height of absurdity. There are those who argue about the bias against non-BCS conference schools. There are those who argue the superiority of the chosen conferences.

There are those who change their arguments like what the SEC is doing.

They whined like hell about the idea of a rematch between Ohio State and Michigan in 2006. Now they are whining like hell for a rematch between LSU and Alabama.

I see you, Crimson Tide fans. The system makes hypocrites of us all.

And I will say this again: I do not think ‘Bama-LSU 2.0 is necessarily a bad idea. I know this puts me in the minority, but I rather enjoyed the first game, a taut defensive battle decided in overtime. It is not so much that this is the wrong matchup as it is arrived at dubiously.

And by dubiously, I mean without a playoff.

The argument for a playoff is so obvious that to make it feels idiotic. And so we trudge into this championship weekend and pretend games about nothing are better than something.

Houston out of it.

And, call me crazy, but I personally think that the "#1" team in the nation should be able to manage a first down against the #14 team in the nation.

And, call me crazy, but I personally think that the "#1" team in the nation should be able to manage a first down against the #14 team in the nation.

GO DAWGS !!!

GO DAWGS !!!

According to the BCS experts, LSU will play for the National Championship, despite the fact their offense had 12 total yards the first half.

Boy. I can't wait for to watch that barn burner... Maybe there will be a scintillating Lawn Bowling match that night that I can watch instead.

Christ, watching two fat chicks throw balls into giant Dr pepper cans has been the most exciting part of this game.

LSU should recruit this heffer and get her fat ass on the field.

So who do you think should play if not LSU? Who has earned it in your eyes if you think they aren't playing like a number 1 team?

Just doing some looking in reference to the "#1 team should have more than 12 yards in the first half" that would tell me a few things.

Oklahoma State couldn't outscore Iowa State who has 6 losses I believe. They're out.

Houston was demolished by a mediocre USM. (They weren't overrated at all this season. Appalachian State should be a BCS contender....)

Stanford lost to a 2 loss Oregon team by a far margin. They're out.

Who is left? Virginia Tech? I fail to see any reason why an unexciting first half of a conference championship game that reflects on their so far great season. I'd sure rather have a bad first half than a loss to teams that are no one of significance.

Just MHO. So much SEC hatred. I love it!

Best

So who do you think should play if not LSU? Who has earned it in your eyes if you think they aren't playing like a number 1 team?

Just doing some looking in reference to the "#1 team should have more than 12 yards in the first half" that would tell me a few things.

Oklahoma State couldn't outscore Iowa State who has 6 losses I believe. They're out.

Houston was demolished by a mediocre USM. (They weren't overrated at all this season. Appalachian State should be a BCS contender....)

Stanford lost to a 2 loss Oregon team by a far margin. They're out.

Who is left? Virginia Tech? I fail to see any reason why an unexciting first half of a conference championship game that reflects on their so far great season. I'd sure rather have a bad first half than a loss to teams that are no one of significance.

Just MHO. So much SEC hatred. I love it!

Best

If LSU WINS, obviously theyre in.... But the idea that they get to play, EVEN IF THEY LOSE, EVEN IF THEY LOSE THE WAY THEY WERE LOSING IN THE FIRST HALF, is pure nonsense.... The "Every Game COUNTS BCS guys" sent the message LOUD AND CLEAR, ALL WEEK LONG- THE FIX IS IN... THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IS IRRELEVANT.... LSU IS #1.... Even if they play like "number 2" (and I dont mean the BCS ranking). There is a DANGER in that.... And the danger is EXACTLY what LSU did.... They come out and play like shit and now the BCS has already said it doesnt matter. We want LSU, even if they SUCK ASS (like what happened with Oklahoma in the 2003 Big 12 Championship- They got their asses handed to them and the BCS said- Too late... We already decided they get to play, and then got their asses handed to them AGAIN in the Championship game...)

Thats not "SEC Hatred"... Its pure common sense. Yes... OSU lost to Iowa State.... But they didnt STINK THE JOINT UP the way LSU did the first half of this game.... I honestly, havent SEEN a contention team suck as bad as LSU did the first of this game all year long. That was fcuking embarrassing.

As to who they play... Virginia Tech OR OSU would have a higher claim than Alabama in my book IF either win tonight. (Right now I have VT ahead of OSU by 36 points, for the very reason you mention... Iowa State.)