UFC DISCUSSION NWS!

porter

Jones was damn lucky Belfort's hand was broken. Got a feeling if Vitor was healthy he could have cracked that arm.

He let the arm bar go when he heard it pop... :shock:

And he injured or broke his ribs too I think, that's why he kept pulling guard. He did fairly well against Jones all things considered imo. :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He let the arm bar go when he heard it pop... :shock:

And he injured or broke his ribs too I think, that's why he kept pulling guard. He did fairly well against Jones all things considered imo. :icon_thumleft:

I agree, he did nicely given the preparation time and given he's a middle not a light heavy. On the flip side arrogant or not props to Jones for not tapping and for submitting a BJJ black belt.

Jones/Belfort was a good fight...The rest of the card was weak.

Jones toughed it out with that mashed up arm for 4 rounds - that deserves some credit, I agree...Because 2 minutes after the fight was over, he was really nursing that thing...

I just looked at all the scheduled UFC events from now through early December (as far as they've got set up yet). They've got 6 events from now through December 8th, some on PPV, some on FX or FOX.

Honesty, the only one I would even remotely *consider* dropping 60 bucks for, or even bother taking the time to watch unless I just happened upon it (apart from maybe one or two of the other main event fights) is the December 8th card, headlined by Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz. All of the others, apart from the main events, are PAPER-THIN in terms of interest level. They might be great fighters and they might put on great fights, but they're not fighters or matchups that generate any interest or investment on the part of the fans and the viewing public.

I've never seen the matchmaking / card-making this bad. And the ironic thing is, the UFC now controls 98% of the top-level MMA fighters in the world under their roof! What the F is going on?!

I agree, he did nicely given the preparation time and given he's a middle not a light heavy. On the flip side arrogant or not props to Jones for not tapping and for submitting a BJJ black belt.

Very true....nice thread title....sonnythebull vs. silva!! Uh no.....rolling private with Royler Gracie soon though.

Blast from the recent past - Fedor vs. Bigfoot, Strikeforce 2011. God help anyone when Bigfoot is sitting on top dropping hammers.

porter,

thanks for bringing so much quality UFC content on a regular basis. I really enjoy the sport, I'm just way to lazy to dig up all that stuff. :)

And wth happened with Sonnen leaving the UFC if he lost!? ;) I really don't like the guy but he's quite the entertainer.

porter,

thanks for bringing so much quality UFC content on a regular basis. I really enjoy the sport, I'm just way to lazy to dig up all that stuff. :)

And wth happened with Sonnen leaving the UFC if he lost!? ;) I really don't like the guy but he's quite the entertainer.

No worries!

Sonnen said his offers are limited time only and have expiry dates and that offer expired :lol2:

I feel the vast majority of UFC fans right now are bored and/or pissed off; too many thin cards, not enough quality matches. I do agree with sonnythebull that what we need right now is a shakeup. Here's to Bonnar beating Silva although he has a snowflake in hell's chance. Maybe Condit will beatup St. Pierre?

No worries!

Sonnen said his offers are limited time only and have expiry dates and that offer expired :lol2:

I feel the vast majority of UFC fans right now are bored and/or pissed off; too many thin cards, not enough quality matches. I do agree with sonnythebull that what we need right now is a shakeup. Here's to Bonnar beating Silva although he has a snowflake in hell's chance. Maybe Condit will beatup St. Pierre?

I will admit, my interest has been wavering greatly as of late.

I feel the vast majority of UFC fans right now are bored and/or pissed off; too many thin cards, not enough quality matches.
Well, do we want 3 events a month on average with a lot of thin cards, or 8-9 events a year with stacked cards? The big fights will be far between either way, so I rather see more events with new talent, even though a lot of it look like shit on paper.

Well, do we want 3 events a month on average with a lot of thin cards, or 8-9 events a year with stacked cards? The big fights will be far between either way, so I rather see more events with new talent, even though a lot of it look like shit on paper.

Unfortunately for the fans Dana and company have become greedy.

The traditional sports model is play league games, determine rankings, play playoff games, determine league champion. This model would work just fine for the UFC if say they had one or two cities where most of the matches were held, say Las Vegas and NYC if it would ever get approved there.

However the UFC business model is built on the WWE's. Dana thinks McMahon is a financial genius. Have house shows regularly, then supershows on PPV regularly. The problem now however is the talent pool isn't deep enough, there are WAAAYYYY too many shows, and cards are being canned when the main event gets scratched. Haven't we had a couple shows just in the last month cancelled already? And remember how deep the cards were even a few years ago?

Once the Fertitas's and White cashed out a sliver of their equity portion to Flash Entertainment from Abu Dhabi, they got a taste of all their hard work. Going on recollection here, but I believe it was a 100MM valuation on the 10%, 1B total on the brand. Both Fertitas dropped from 45% to 40.5%, Dana dropped from 10 to 9%. Which means Dana pocketed 10MM and the Fertitas boys split up 90MM.

Then came the Fox deal worth 750MM over 7 years. Big money. But it's a tons of shows. From wikipedia - "The deal includes four events on the main Fox network, 32 live Friday night fights per year on their cable network FX, 24 events following The Ultimate Fighter reality show and six separate Fight Night events."

On top of all this, they've got a couple big notes coming due in the next two years, I think they total almost 1B.

All this means they've got a huge burn rate and need to keep the big machine running. Which means more house shows, more PPVs, more merchandise, more more more. Sadly, that also means we need way more fighters and right now I'm not sure there are enough to go around.

Browne vs. Bigfoot staredown for tonight's fight. Bigfoot gonna get his head cracked open!

Silva promo vid for upcoming Bonnar fight. Spoiler: Bonnar not even included in video

hahaha Silva is just on another planet...I love that backing off, avoid 2 punches and knocking the guy down with one punch move. :)

Porter,

I agree with your analysis of the current situation. They need to find a way to get kids more interested and "democratize" the sport even more than it is currently to make sure they have a bigger pool to recruit from and have some kind of pipeline. I was watching the "100 greatest fights" on Netflix the other day and yes, I do miss the LONG-winded rivalry of Tito, Chuck, etc. St-Pierre is a phenomenal fighter, albeit a very boring one unfortunately. As much as I hate Sonnen, he certainly brings a bit of life to the UFC.

Anyways, after 3 times live, I'll likely never go back to see a live fight, especially not on my own dime. It's just WAY too expensive...