New Clutch - can't engage reverse when engine running

Double

Just installed a new kevlar clutch (with plate and release bearing) on 04 6-speed. All forward gears engage proper, motor running - on lift. But cannot engage reverse when motor is running, only with engine off. No internal transmission work - straightforward clutch change using LP member-supplied new kevlar clutch/plate.

Also (perhaps unrelated), the wheels spin in neutral with the engine running on the lift.

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks

As for wheels spinning in neutral on lift, it's not abnormal.

Real thick or cold trans fluid will do this. Also, wrong fluid will make it hard for synchros to work.

Let it warm up before panicking.

Can you stop the wheels when they are spinning with the car on the lift??? Should be able to stop the wheels with out to much force.

If not it sound like you have clutch drag. The clutch is not released all the way. I would test drive car and let the clutch bed in before I would worry to much. It worse in Revers because it has the lowest gearing. Also try to shift into rev. with the wheels off the ground if they start to roll as you try to put it in gear the clutch is dragging. Once again try to bed the clutch and see if that helps.

Big thanks. We're thinking the 7 year old master cylinder (clutch pump) didn't care for a fluid change so a new one is going in tomorrow. For an an OEM part it was surprisingly inexpensive.

Can you stop the wheels when they are spinning with the car on the lift??? Should be able to stop the wheels with out to much force.

If not it sound like you have clutch drag. The clutch is not released all the way. I would test drive car and let the clutch bed in before I would worry to much. It worse in Revers because it has the lowest gearing. Also try to shift into rev. with the wheels off the ground if they start to roll as you try to put it in gear the clutch is dragging. Once again try to bed the clutch and see if that helps.

I agree that your clutch is most likely not disengaging all the way. I had a similar problem before and it required a new clutch which resolved the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that your clutch is most likely not disengaging all the way. I had a similar problem before and it required a new clutch which resolved the issue.

900 miles - mostly highway with alot of shifting. Situation improved but not entirely.

Going to bleed the clutch one last time. Then doing a new clutch again (sigh). What a waste of time and money this has been.

Over 4 days, drove 900 miles - mostly highway but with alot of shifting. Situation improved but not entirely. Have to match revs to shift or risk grinding. Vehicle moves forward with clutch depressed as gear shift is attempted from neutral.

Going to bleed the clutch one last time. If issue is not resolved then doing a new clutch again (sigh). What a waste of time and money this has been.

Check the position of your shifter. Mine became mis-aligned where 1st gear was in the 3rd gear slot, and everything else was off one notch to the right. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the shifter back (after many attempts with the shims). Steve Maxwell in San Diego ended up doing the repair when the clutch was being replaced. Now everything is fine.

Nick

The new master cylinder didn't help? Mine used to roll forward some with clutch depressed but after the the master cylinder and bleeding the clutch line that went away. I assume either the installer or the clutch supplier is standing behind their product so you are paying fully for this twice!

The new master cylinder didn't help? Mine used to roll forward some with clutch depressed but after the the master cylinder and bleeding the clutch line that went away. I assume either the installer or the clutch supplier is standing behind their product so you are paying fully for this twice!

:iamwithstupid: the clutch supplier should replace at no charge (especially since hes a member)

I of course meant "aren't"

• 2 months later...

Just posting an update.

I drove the vehicle 800 miles with no improvement; very disappointing.

Had to replace the clutch ... again.

Purchased kevlar clutch from Sean at Hi Tech Exotic. Parts arrived promptly and with the (new) old clutch out for comparison it was plain as day how differently-sized the parts were.

Sean gave terrific customer service and outstanding follow-up. Installed new clutch and it is smooth like the proverbial butter analogy.

Again, Sean gave regular updates on shipping, and several follow-up calls after receipt. Delighted with his service.

Thanks for all who helped on here.

Thanks for posting the update and glad all is good now. I have heard mixed reviews on these kevlar clutches...not sure which way to go when the time comes

i keep hearing stick with OEm

I keep hearing not to do business with that LP member that sold you that clutch!

Btw, Sean is super good people.

Just posting an update.

I drove the vehicle 800 miles with no improvement; very disappointing.

Had to replace the clutch ... again.

Purchased kevlar clutch from Sean at Hi Tech Exotic. Parts arrived promptly and with the (new) old clutch out for comparison it was plain as day how differently-sized the parts were.

Sean gave terrific customer service and outstanding follow-up. Installed new clutch and it is smooth like the proverbial butter analogy.

Again, Sean gave regular updates on shipping, and several follow-up calls after receipt. Delighted with his service.

Thanks for all who helped on here.

Thank you Howard for a great feedback.It was a pleasure doing business with you. I'm glad everything worked out great.

I like to make it clear that the first Kevlar clutch, that Howard bought, was not bought from us. After Howard experienced the problems from another vendor, he called us and we assured him that our Kevlar clutch will work and you won't have any problems like you had with the other vendor since we have been building Kevlar clutches for Lamborghini for over 15 years. We also told him we don't just change it into Kevlar, we also modify the whole clutch with better and stronger metal material. We also told him to check with our customers and see how happy they are with our Kevlar clutch.

After contacting our customers, Howard agreed with us and bought our Kevlar clutch. After he installed our Kevlar clutch, he couldn't believe how much smoother and better it was than a stock clutch and the previous vendor's Kevlar clutch. He did not experience any grinding. He really liked the smooth linear engagement. He also commented that the shifting is like cutting butter now. I'm glad that we were able to help him.

Thank you again Howard.

Sean

Hi Tech Exotic