To Buy A Gallardo or Not

Patrick J

I currently drive an Aston Martin Vantage V8 N420 roadster, 6 speed manual. Nice car, beautiful, fun to drive, but I'm wanting a bit more punch. Considering three low mileage pre-owned options: AM Vantage V12, Audi R8 10 cylinder, Gallardo. The Gallardo is by far the most extreme. The concern is reliability and maintenance costs, especially once it goes off warranty. I would value the input of current Gallardo owners. Thank you.

Lots of threads about maintenance costs. Try to do a little searching.

What year G are you looking at?

Thank you MrEd and Nath4N for the good Lambo links. Very helpful!

Thank you O5SLV, A-Man and Mondi for the encouragement to "Go for a G."

T-Eybrows - Thanks for the R8 rec. BTW - I understand and appreciate your infatuation with Ms. Fox. However, I do not appreciate the superfluous language regarding what you would allow your body to be subject to in order to......you know. We live in a great country where we enjoy freedom of speech, so feel free to converse this way with your other Lambo buds. But, when helping me let's keep the chatter and language focused on the cars? Thanks man.

Thank you MrEd and Nath4N for the good Lambo links. Very helpful!

Thank you O5SLV, A-Man and Mondi for the encouragement to "Go for a G."

T-Eybrows - Thanks for the R8 rec. BTW - I understand and appreciate your infatuation with Ms. Fox. However, I do not appreciate the superfluous language regarding what you would allow your body to be subject to in order to......you know. We live in a great country where we enjoy freedom of speech, so feel free to converse this way with your other Lambo buds. But, when helping me let's keep the chatter and language focused on the cars? Thanks man.

Don't worry, you're new here. That was part of his signature. Stick around awhile and you'll see the culture of the board. T-brows, otherwise known as Slowpoke, is a good guy.

LOL, that was the best reply I have seen in awhile on the board.

Patrick J- I would recommend going for the G if you want the car that makes you happy every time you drive it, but also gets a ton of attention.

If you prefer less attention from a car that is still great in it's own right, go for the V10 R8. It is also a good car, but lacks some of the G's soul.

Thanks Liguid - Good thoughts. Yeah, that V10 R8 is on my radar. I'll be test driving the lot this spring. I had two Porsche 911 C4S's before the AM Vantage V8. I was looking for something different than the German cars and went for the Brit. It really is nice. Sophisticated, beautiful, comfortable and fun. However, it lacks that extra punch I'm looking for. So I'm going to test out a 12 cylinder Vantage, the V10 R8, the new Porsche and the G. BTW - all my weekend cars have been roadsters/spyders. It's all about the open air experience.

Thanks A-Man - You're a good bro to be standing up for your mate T-Brow/Slowpoke. I get it. But ya gotta admit, it's a bit strange that grown men, who earn the kind of cash required to purchase and run these six figure machines, are compelled to speak/write like 14 year old boys. I know there are always a few in the crowd, but your response leads me to believe there are many who post (or signature) this way. Here's the thing, if Megan was reading T-Brow's post/signature do you think the object of his desire would conclude he's a "good guy?" Lol. Ok, enough pontificating on this subject. Let's talk cars.

Patrick...lol my username was Gasman until it was changed as a joke.

The general take is the r8-v10 is a nicer more modern ride. The 09+ egear is better than r-Tronic so basically

Egear lp or manual r8-v10.

I guess it depends on your reason to buy..

Presence or Drive. Some would say the ultimate driver would be a '13 gtr.

The reason to go lp560 is nice drive and prestige. Since the r8 platform is newer it has advantages. Price point is another factor. For 180k you get a pristine lp with little or no warranty or a hard loaded new r8spyder.

LP560 all the way if you want the wow factor. It's just no comparison when put up against the R8. Put them side by side and you'll agree. R8 is def more refined, but you already said that you've had Astons and Porsches - don't you think it's time to change it up a bit?

Assman rocks, a great guy! And I actually wanted that name first :monkeyleft: but I do love the way "T-Brow" sounds :lol2:

I was actually asked by the mods to remove my signature because of this thread, so thank you very much :icon_thumleft: Good luck finding a car..

T-Brow - Thank you and you're welcome. I know that deep inside you're a creative and intelligent soul, who is worthy of recognition and respect. I'm just trying to help ya get what you deserve bro.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Your best work and your best days are in your future. You'll be fabulous - PJ

Patrick J - you seem like a great guy. You will fit in well here, but we do like to give each other a hard time. We do have a tendency to act like 14 year old boys on occassion.... all in good fun, though.

I like your list of choices, but would ditch the AM from the list if you want something different. Aston's are great cars, but no offense.... they are all very similar. An R8 or G will give you the change you are looking for.

I cant help with the car buying but I can suggest for the forum

clicking on "my controls" at the top right. then scrolling down the left side and clicking on board settings.

in the middle look for "Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics and changing that to no.

Thanks NuclerJack. Did as you suggested.

Liguid - Thanks. Yes, fun to bust each others cojones from time to time.

OK, so it looks like everyone agrees it's on to something new after the Aston. I will soon plant myself behind the wheel of a G with paddles, a R8v10 with manual, a possibly a new 911 as a "control" as I know them well.

Driving use: Where I live we have beautiful uncrowded country roads and mountain twisties. I spend a good deal of time in a 3-4-5, 5-4-3 rythym, and in that 65mph to 90 mph range. Car not often used for 0-60 sprints or 100 mph plus runs. Some would say that a Cayman R or Boxster S, Lotus Elise/Exige, or even a Honda S2000 would be the car of choice on these roads. And to some degree they are correct. However, I want a bit more punch and comfort when on the open highway between runs. Hence the 911C4S cabs I've had in the past. The R8 convertible was not out when I went for the Aston. Had it been, I might be in a v10R8 with a manual right now. I suspect the R8v10 is a better move than the AM V12. But I have read that the R8 is so competent that there may be less driver engagement and involvement. Thoughts?

All this said, aren't we blessed beyond compare to even be in a position to have these kinds of problems? LOL.

I'll get back to y'all after the test drives. Peace out - PJ

• 2 months later...

Sounds like an R8 might suit you better. Lambos are a bit more ostentatious. No doubt the R8 looks great, but for me the Gallardo is a far better looking car (especially the 560).