Lamborghini Performante Paint Correction Detail

addr6

So I get a call to go to Florida to work on a Performante for my #1 client that lives here in Ohio. He told me it was black so I figured it was going to be complicated to work on like that past Lambos I have worked on. He then explains that Lamborghini claims they have changed the paint on the black cars and that it would not be as soft as it used to be. So I packed up a small arsenal of what I thought I would need to do this car and head to Florida.

I get to Florida and pull the car out into the sun. Saying I was completely blown away by the condition was an understatement. I can’t believe a car can actually leave a dealership in this condition. Below are some before pictures.

Problems in the paint:

Halograms

Swirls

Deeper Scratches

Sanding Marks

Scuffs in paint

Overspray

Caked compound

Look at how many miles were on it!!!!!

_DSC0460.jpg

_DSC0285.jpg

_DSC0283.jpg

_DSC0276.jpg

_DSC0279.jpg

_DSC0172.jpg

_DSC0177.jpg

_DSC0185.jpg

_DSC0198.jpg

_DSC0199.jpg

_DSC0202.jpg

_DSC0218.jpg

_DSC0221.jpg

_DSC0231.jpg

_DSC0252.jpg

_DSC0257.jpg

_DSC0272.jpg

_DSC0293.jpg

_DSC0296.jpg

_DSC0298.jpg

_DSC0346.jpg

So as you can see I had some work cut out for me. I started off by doing a test section with D300 and Microfiber. It did not come out good, and I was started to worry I did not bring what I needed to get the job done. From this test I learned that Lamborghini had gone from super soft paint to rock hard paint. It was incredible how hard it was. So then I moved on to M101 and Microfiber. It came out a lot better but was not perfect. I ended up using that combo but had to go over most areas multiple times. Some areas I had to use Surbuf and M101 to correct.

_DSC0349.jpg

_DSC0258.jpg

_DSC0311.jpg

_DSC0315.jpg

_DSC0322.jpg

_DSC0337.jpg

_DSC0338.jpg

_DSC0356.jpg

Everything was coming along good until I got to the deck lid. The deck lid had tons of DEEP sanding marks in it. Nothing I threw at it even touched them. I called DJ Mayo and Todd Cooperider for some help. They came over with some more supplies. Even they could not get the sanding marks out and get the paint to finish down properly. We used M101 and wool with a rotary but it tore it up so much that even 7 steps of polishing did not make it perfect. We then all determined that I would just have to get the deck lid as good as I could. The only way I would be able to get it perfect would be to do it in an actual shop with lots of products to throw at it.

I was using the Girot’s machine on speed 6 and using a ton of pressure to correct. My pad got so hot that it actually melted itself to my backing plate and ended up exploding from the Velcro back. It was pretty scary when it happened.

I hit everything with M101 and Microfiber. After that step I moved down to D300 and Microfiber to correct the previous step. Finally I finished down with a Black pad and Sonax Paint cleaner. As you can see from the pictures below it came out great and was a HUGE improvement from when I started.

_DSC0375.jpg

_DSC0376.jpg

_DSC0371.jpg

_DSC0380.jpg

_DSC0393.jpg

_DSC0399.jpg

_DSC0402.jpg

_DSC0410.jpg

Some sun pics.

_DSC0428.jpg

_DSC0429.jpg

_DSC0431.jpg

_DSC0432.jpg

_DSC0433.jpg

_DSC0434.jpg

_DSC0436.jpg

_DSC0437.jpg

_DSC0438.jpg

_DSC0439.jpg

_DSC0440.jpg

_DSC0445.jpg

_DSC0446.jpg

_DSC0448.jpg

_DSC0449.jpg

_DSC0458.jpg

_DSC0495.jpg

Altogether I had 35 hours into this one. It was a lot of work but I learned a lot about dealing with a paint I had never dealt with before. In the end the car came out amazing.

Thanks for reading!!!!!

The "after" shots are so rich and full of depth that the car looks like it was just dipped in a pool of black oil... :icon_thumleft:

Nice work! I can't believe the state the car was in from being at the dealers. How did they manage to mess the paint up so bad?

Like I said before, the car looks great but the special 'bits' of the Perf. are lost on the black car. One of the Biancos is the only way to go!

I love these threads! Nice work, those before and after shots say it all. I love how shimmery it is and the matte stripes really set it off! What happened to the passenger door that it looked that bad at the start?