MP4-12. Test Drive

Mattyrae

Well got a 6 mile drive in the new McLaren, here are my thoughts:

Looks much better in person, especially when seen on the road.

Little interior quirks, mirror control position, no dual stitching trim on seats so no colored stitching on seats to match other interior areas.

Seats are comfy, but whomever designed the power controls, OMG. Weird location! Would just order manual to save weight

Now for the drive: Even with the Sports exhaust, the car sounds horrible! My 3.5 V8 Esprit sound with sport cats and muffler delete sounded great, but the MP4 gets a 1 out of 10 in the sound dept.

Even a GTR sounds better.

No dead pedal? Not even a rubber piece.

Accelerator pedal has a detent around 80% throttle, I thought the floor mat got loose and was causing this, but no it was designed that way.

Worst is the Tranny, no shift feel whatsoever. Both paddles are connected, they are not independent of each other like Ferrari and Lamborghini. You cannot pull both paddles back to engage neutral, must hit the button on the console. Even in track mode, shift speed is dependent on throttle input, still can't feel the shift, but part throttle shifts are insanely slow. Half the time I could not get an up shift to occur, rep said to pull harder, lol, I heard a click and that was not enough?

When I took a test drive in the Performante, got out of the car with huge ear to ear grin. After a drive with the McLaren, I felt no emotion. The reviews are spot on.

My advice, buy a Black Series GTR and save 200k

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Surprised you disliked it that much. Member TommyJames who has the VI SV drove one today and said he was very impressed and I know of another member is considering selling his LP640 to order a new spyder.

Hmm. Surprised you disliked it that much. Member TommyJames who has the VI SV drove one today and said he was very impressed and I know of another member is considering selling his LP640 to order a new spyder.

Yes I was there with Tom, we had 3 SV's at ERTC today: Tom's, Roy's, and mine.

My best description: McLaren is trying to combine a Sports Car with a Lexus 4 Door sedan most likely LS series.

I mean who gives a shit how smooth the ride is, isn't this supposed to be a high performance Sports Car? Anyone upset that their Aventador or SV rides a bit stiff on rough roads?

There is no shift feel, I mean nothing. At least Ferrari has changed their software on the newer 458's, for better shift feel, and it sounds great, even better with the Novitec Exhaust.

The MP4 has no carbon seats, just normal seats with a cheap CF backing. Like Porsche's seats with the painted backs.

There is a reason that pre-owned MP4's are 10k plus below sticker.

Flappy paddle is/was the beginning of the end of the sports/super car...

Not true at all. Have you driven a Scuderia, an LP Gallaro, an Aventador or SV in Corsa mode? All sound amazing, especially the down shift blips, sends chills up your spine every time you drive one. The MP4, nothing.

How would you like to drive your favorite race car, one that races in actual competition, but you were deaf, or had noise cancelling headphones on. That's what it's like to drive the MP4. Also, you never know if you changed gear because you feel nothing, and I mean nothing, it is completely transparent, more than any DSG gearbox car I have ever driven.

Should post that cartoon again. "Fun, what is fun, we make rolling automotive technology!" :)

On the sides? I don't think so. I have 20% on the sides now. Windshield only 20%.

Not true at all. Have you driven a Scuderia, an LP Gallaro, an Aventador or SV in Corsa mode? All sound amazing, especially the down shift blips, sends chills up your spine every time you drive one. The MP4, nothing.

How would you like to drive your favorite race car, one that races in actual competition, but you were deaf, or had noise cancelling headphones on. That's what it's like to drive the MP4. Also, you never know if you changed gear because you feel nothing, and I mean nothing, it is completely transparent, more than any DSG gearbox car I have ever driven.

Should post that cartoon again. "Fun, what is fun, we make rolling automotive technology!" :)

Well, let me clarify - when 'lap times' become more important than driving experience... then all hope is lost. That being said, the GT2RS still stomps the shit out of most hypercars on the track - and it's a "dated" 6-speed! :icon_mrgreen:

Well, let me clarify - when 'lap times' become more important than driving experience... then all hope is lost. That being said, the GT2RS still stomps the shit out of most hypercars on the track - and it's a "dated" 6-speed! :icon_mrgreen:

And like the McLaren, it sounds like shit. I would take a Porsche Turbo S all day long over the McLaren, but still just because a car is fast, does not mean it is exciting to drive.

If the paddles make a clicky click sound when engaged, most likely you will be disappointed, especially after driving a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Wow, one thing I know is that the interconnected paddle shifters would piss me off. LOL. Good review to say the least. Agreed on the looks better in person part.

Isn't it funny that Lexus worked their ass off to make the LFA sound phenominal, consulted Yamaha. Sounded completely non-Lexus like.

Then McLaren comes up with the MP4, but their sound engineer got confused and copied the wrong Lexus, LOL. Sorry, I thought you said LS, not LF.

It's a very respectable car that puts up great numbers. It's a killer platform for modding so I'm sure we're going to see even better numbers after SP et al start delivering packages.

I know what you're talking about though, I'm of some of the same opinions. You can't really compare the emotion or presence of the other exotics (i.e.: 640SV, Scuderia, Aventador) to the MP4. They look and drive like completely different vehicles. For example while we don't care for the imperceptible shifts of the Mclaren, there is also someone out there who hates the jolt of the Aventador. The MP4 is just made for a different type of exotic owner.

The overall experience of the MP4 left me thinking it's fast, nimble, planted, precise… just a bit sterile for my taste. Good or bad really depending on who you are.

PS: The MP4 spider looks good.

:icon_mrgreen:

I liked it better than I thought I would.

I noticed a few times I shifted that it was reluctant to shift. He also said pull harder and that the newer cars had been updated to require less force.

From all the no shift talk, I could feel the shift, at least at full bore. It wasn't like a Lambo but I felt a quick shudder. I think it was in sport or race or whatever for everything.

I thought it sounded better than a GTR by a long ways. But compared to Ferrari or Lambo, not in the same universe.

I did notice the paddles were interconnected but did not think about neutral. Do not like.

Fit and finish was not quite production car level.

Still, quite an accomplishment first at-bat. Whell first at-bat in quite a few years.

I liked it better than I thought I would.

I noticed a few times I shifted that it was reluctant to shift. He also said pull harder and that the newer cars had been updated to require less force.

From all the no shift talk, I could feel the shift, at least at full bore. It wasn't like a Lambo but I felt a quick shudder. I think it was in sport or race or whatever for everything.

I thought it sounded better than a GTR by a long ways. But compared to Ferrari or Lambo, not in the same universe.

I did notice the paddles were interconnected but did not think about neutral. Do not like.

Fit and finish was not quite production car level.

Still, quite an accomplishment first at-bat. Whell first at-bat in quite a few years.

I had problems upshifting so many times I lost count. Fit and finish, LOL, look under the doors when raised and look at the cheesy factory clear bra protection, the gaps are so huge, boulders would chip the paint there.

Know why there isn't custom color stitching available for the seats, because the dash and doors have dual stitching, the seats single. McLaren thought this would look odd. Duh, but it looks great when all interior stitching is black, huh?

Mercedes owns 60% of McLaren, who the heck designed this car? I know McLaren certainly didn't design the paddles, but the steering wheel is based on Lewis'? Yet another issue, the steering wheel is too thin.

Driver's car my ass. For all those considering ordering a Spider for any reason other than making a quick buck with a flip, watch Tiff's review vs. The 458 over and over again until you get it.

No dual colour stitching, why oh why do the gods smite us so badly? Could you not put a dual stitched towel on the seat instead?

Oh and check your facts on ownership.

I found the MP4 to be similar to the 458. Dual clutch and little feel. On high revs I felt more from the McLaren than the 458 and it felt like it was better than the 458 at the seamless shift thing that I am not a fan of. I thought the looks and sound of the 458 were superior but the fast driving experience seemed better in the MP4. I am all about aftermarket exhaust systems so the sound was a non issue.

The school these car companies represent is clearly defined. It is easy to find the shoe that fits. The modern Ferrari thing (458, FF, F12) is more like the modern McLaren school of thought than Lamborghini. It will be interesting to see what F and Mc do with the Scuderia versions. I don't know if there is the ability to bring out rawness in them.

On a side note, the 2013 Aventador might be a big softy with the cylinder deactivation. We will see. I hope not.

There is a big McLaren section in this months EVO. In it there is a road trip to Morocco, a look at the spider (interestingly they have dropped the MP part of the name) and then an interview with Sheriff who says that they will not say no to a customer but "how much".

To me that says that they are on top of the production process and now they are looking to enter in a bespoke program of which I doubt we really have ever seen from a car manufacturer. As we saw in another thread we saw the vented louvres for the brakes and they are not cheap.

If you want double stitching I am sure they will let you pay for it.

https://p.twimg.com/AxtBhXDCMAA5DBX.jpg:large

I found the MP4 to be similar to the 458. Dual clutch and little feel. On high revs I felt more from the McLaren than the 458 and it felt like it was better than the 458 at the seamless shift thing that I am not a fan of. I thought the looks and sound of the 458 were superior but the fast driving experience seemed better in the MP4. I am all about aftermarket exhaust systems so the sound was a non issue.

The school these car companies represent is clearly defined. It is easy to find the shoe that fits. The modern Ferrari thing (458, FF, F12) is more like the modern McLaren school of thought than Lamborghini. It will be interesting to see what F and Mc do with the Scuderia versions. I don't know if there is the ability to bring out rawness in them.

On a side note, the 2013 Aventador might be a big softy with the cylinder deactivation. We will see. I hope not.

There have been revisions with both cars transmissions. 458 in race will now "kick" a bit. MP4 revision creates the horrible throttle dependent shift speeds. 75% throttle shifts are extremely laggy, and that is being nice.

458 with Novitec exhaust and test pipes sounds insane. The McLaren will never sound that good, period.

Example, when RTC was over yesterday, people were lined up to hear the Lambo's start up and drive off. You could not hear the MP4 at all, and I was right behind it.

There have been revisions with both cars transmissions. 458 in race will now "kick" a bit.

I drove one recently. It had the updated software. Define "kick" because it was still what I call "Lifeless." Have you driven the update? I didn't notice much difference.

MP4 revision creates the horrible throttle dependent shift speeds. 75% throttle shifts are extremely laggy, and that is being nice.

458 with Novitec exhaust and test pipes sounds insane. The McLaren will never sound that good, period.

Example, when RTC was over yesterday, people were lined up to hear the Lambo's start up and drive off. You could not hear the MP4 at all, and I was right behind it.

I agree te exhaust was weak, but I think all stock exhausts are weak. The 458 with a few different aftermarket exhausts sounds amazing. I did not notice the lag.

I am glad you got to try the MP4 and you are getting the car that suits you better. The 458 is an excellent car! I will be interested after you have owned it for a while if you prefer the Ferrari or the Lambo. :icon_thumleft:

I drove one recently. It had the updated software. Define "kick" because it was still what I call "Lifeless." Have you driven the update? I didn't notice much difference.

I agree te exhaust was weak, but I think all stock exhausts are weak. The 458 with a few different aftermarket exhausts sounds amazing. I did not notice the lag.

I am glad you got to try the MP4 and you are getting the car that suits you better. The 458 is an excellent car! I will be interested after you have owned it for a while if you prefer the Ferrari or the Lambo. :icon_thumleft:

The lag I am talking about is during part throttle shifts. Go drive one again, push the pedal down 50% and then shift. You should notice it. They are well aware of it over on McLarenlife.com.

Sure you had the 458 in "Race" mode? Big difference.

The 458 will be my "GT" car. I would not even try to compare it to the SV. Found a contact yesterday for discounts on Novitec exhausts. I will add their muffler with valves, test pipes, a tune to keep the CEL light off. Will be perfect for longer drives as I ordered mine with cruise, the race seats are the bomb, and just set it to sport to keep the noise down. Then turn to race for all out ear assault.

All I need is a convertible for sunny days, I see my favorite Red Performante is back up for sale, or I can just get a 16M?

The lag I am talking about is during part throttle shifts. Go drive one again, push the pedal down 50% and then shift. You should notice it. They are well aware of it over on McLarenlife.com.

Sure you had the 458 in "Race" mode? Big difference.

The 458 will be my "GT" car. I would not even try to compare it to the SV. Found a contact yesterday for discounts on Novitec exhausts. I will add their muffler with valves, test pipes, a tune to keep the CEL light off. Will be perfect for longer drives as I ordered mine with cruise, the race seats are the bomb, and just set it to sport to keep the noise down. Then turn to race for all out ear assault.

All I need is a convertible for sunny days, I see my favorite Red Performante is back up for sale, or I can just get a 16M?

Sounds like a great plan. The 16m is an awesome car! You should get that since you've already had a Performante. Best of Luck! The 458 is a phenomenal car. You can't go wrong with it as a GT car. I tried it in race, and it didn't kick like a single clutch, but that's ok. It's a different kind of car for a different kind of ride. It's not my thing but I get it and I think it is excellent at what it does.

I liked the Performante, just really wanted the yellow one that sold right before I got to Las Vegas. Then I saw the red one and "drool!". Will have to drive both back to back and see. The Performante is the better car overall, minus gearbox. No drone, comfy, better stereo by far, gets way more looks, and can be extremely quiet when needed. Just wish it could lose 400 lbs. :(. Might be a car to pick up around 200k when market drops a bit more. Wholesale is 210-220 now for 2011's. Heard a yellow one might be coming back on the market soon?