Torrents

Basstones

So, what are the good torrent sites at the moment? I had been solely using Demonoid for a while, but as a result of a DDOS attack it has been offline for about a week and it's status is now unknown - currently just redirecting to random advertising websites.

Anyone have any available invites for a decent site?

• 2 weeks later...

So to anyone else who may have been using Demonoid or interested in this stuff, turns out it was taken down by the Ukranian authorities.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260572/demo...uthorities.html

...and now Anonymous has been going after the Ukranians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19194467

Thanks for the other site recommendations though guys :)

Still never understood this torrent business, can anyone take the time to explain? Is this what people do to theoretically steal licensed software for free?

Still never understood this torrent business, can anyone take the time to explain? Is this what people do to theoretically steal licensed software for free?

I'm sure others can go in to more detail, but yes in theory the user can find pretty much whatever they are after depending what site you are on. Not just limited to software. Not everything is illegal, although it's probably fair to say that the majority of users probably would use it for distributing copyrighted material.

For me personally, I find it the most handy way to catch up on missed sporting events. Particulary recently with Olympics events that haven't been broacast over here, but there is always F1, WRC, Tour de France etc... Much higher quality and faster than any of the streaming alternatives i've found

It is a quicker way to download just about anything you could buy otherwise.

I have every season of F1 from I think 1978 up until the mid 90s so far. It's neat to have, every once in awhile I like to dig out an old race and have it on in the background.

Obscure TV shows that no one has on DVD.

And of course music, which I'm willing to admit (and debate) why it shouldn't cost what it does.

Its where you go after youre fed up trying to buy legal films, tv series online and got frustrated or tired waiting for the release date.

Media suppliers needs to make it easier for semi honest joes to purchase their wares,

I also have had to pirate software ive paid for just to get rid of the idiot dongle or online protection the software has. They encourage people to look for this stuff by their attempts to stop it.

Its where you go after youre fed up trying to buy legal films, tv series online and got frustrated or tired waiting for the release date.

Media suppliers needs to make it easier for semi honest joes to purchase their wares,

I also have had to pirate software ive paid for just to get rid of the idiot dongle or online protection the software has. They encourage people to look for this stuff by their attempts to stop it.

Spot on.

It simply is easier, it is out before the official releases and its free. Win win win.

Give me a "legal torrent" and I would concider paying. In the mean time, I will refresh my torrentsite 100 times a day waiting for TDKR in bluray.

Thank you and everyone else for the explanation, this helps a lot! Sorry for the thread hi-jack!

Thank you and everyone else for the explanation, this helps a lot! Sorry for the thread hi-jack!

Torrents in my eyes are going to be the way of the future. Once the establishment catches on, they'll discover that a lot of people would pay for the convenience of the service. Instead of battling the wave they need to work with the totterenters for their mutual benefit, especially as more and more people get tech savvy. Problem is most of the guys in charge of that stuff still us floppy discs so new technological innovation is scary.

I can see both sides of the coin, but I do think music is over priced, and the concept of "digital ownership" is not what it should be. Pretty much, "ownership" with most digital media is just a license or person you pay for to use it. Funny how if you buy a guitar, you can play it, share it with your friends, or play t in public. You "buy" a song of Jemi Hendrix and you really only have permission to listen to it...you aren't supposed to share it with your friends...Kinda make you think...

My 2 cents.

Funny how if you buy a guitar, you can play it, share it with your friends, or play t in public. You "buy" a song of Jemi Hendrix and you really only have permission to listen to it...you aren't supposed to share it with your friends...Kinda make you think...

My 2 cents.

Sorry but from a copy wright perspective that is a horrible analogy. A guitar is simply a tool which without direction does nothing. That's like buying a hammer and comparing it to moving into a house you don't own.

I'm not taking a stance on torrents, as to me its no different than looking at a famous painting on Google vs visiting the museum or buying an original.

The business savy artists are still making bucket loads of money, its mainly the studios and labels taking it from loss of product revenue.

The business savy artists are still making bucket loads of money, its mainly the studios and labels taking it from loss of product revenue.

And it's those same studios and labels that have been ripping off artists and sucking them dry for years.

I'm sure with each download, there are some VERY happy people out there....

Sorry but from a copy wright perspective that is a horrible analogy. A guitar is simply a tool which without direction does nothing. That's like buying a hammer and comparing it to moving into a house you don't own.

I'm not taking a stance on torrents, as to me its no different than looking at a famous painting on Google vs visiting the museum or buying an original.

Yeah, not the best example, will now have to come up with something better...

Sucky part about an artist is that all the money is really made from concert touring, not album sales.

And it's those same studios and labels that have been ripping off artists and sucking them dry for years.

I'm sure with each download, there are some VERY happy people out there....

No Shit, studio execs make 7+ figures a year milking artist products.

To me it always seemed like concerts should be the revenue stream, and the music is what draws you to buy the concert tickets. Almost seems like the radio airplay and downloads is more of an advertising expense than a payday.