Dyno HP Levels between LP640 and Reg Murci?

JonV8944s

So I remember reading some threads early on where people (well respected ones on this forum) were claiming that the new (then) lp640s were only making like 20 more rwhp/awhp then their older brothers (reg murci's). But I am seeing normal numbers for the reg Murci to be 425-450 awhp/rwhp, but yet the LP640s I've seen stock at 540-550 awhp/rwhp.

So were the initial 07 lp640s a bit weaker, or was there a mistake on how much power they actually make to the ground?

If there IS a 100 RWHP difference between the reg murci and the lp640, then I think I'm going to start looking for my next roadster :). If its only 30 rwhp difference... then I'll stick with my 'bargain' of a Murci.

Thanks!

Jon

Ive seen 30awhp difference between the 2.

You were one of the respected members I was speaking of.

The problem is, dyno's are showing otherwise, how are people getting 550rwhp (even on this forum) for an 09 lp640 'stock'

Yet, every stock 'regular' murci I see is 425-450. That shows at least a 100 rwhp difference. I'll get the links from this forum. 30 rwhp isnt a good enough reason to upgrade, 100 rwhp IS.

Off to get the links to the dyno sheets....

lp640 making 560 awhp stock: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63097

different lp640 making 544 awhp W/ exhaust: http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39251

My murci made 450 Rwhp (otherwise stock at the time): (I dont have a link to that, but obviously I wouldnt lie about my numbers)

Murci making 423 awhp stock (yours): http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30939

So where does this 'only 30 awhp' difference coming from? Were the early say 07's not as powerful as the 09+ ???

The type of Dyno being used matters quite a bit. I would like to see 2-3 stock Murcis and 2-3 stock LP640s put on one Dyno on the same day. That would finally answer everyone's questions. Anyone willing to arrange a little Dyno day in their city?

The type of Dyno being used matters quite a bit. I would like to see 2-3 stock Murcis and 2-3 stock LP640s put on one Dyno on the same day. That would finally answer everyone's questions. Anyone willing to arrange a little Dyno day in their city?

Well, I realize there definitely will be varance, but for example I have 3 different dyno runs of my 700+ rwhp viper, in California, in NC and in Chicago (couple of them here) at different times of the year (Seasons) and yet, they are all within 20 rwhp of each other.

Also interesting fact, that the exact dyno model used for that lp640 that I first listed, is the exact same manfucturer model number I used for my regular murci. Thats the most telling for me, not on the same brand/mfg'er, but down to the exact same model number of Dyno type.

That is the most telling to me. Someone got 560 awhp on the exact model number dyno I got my 450 rwhp on. Its telling me there is something to these lp640's making a good bit more then 30 awhp difference. Even youtube videos are showing it.

Yet, the guys in the know, are stating something different. Which again, is the point in this thread, I really want to know if I should be searching for an lp640 roadster or if I should just be enjoying my 'regular' murci. Because short of an increase in power, there really isnt anything else about it I would change.

All dynoes will read differently, so I simply look at Sp Engineering, where I know both cars were dynoed on same dyno.

Sure, but 70 rwhp difference is a bit much to count as 'acceptable difference' on ONLY 450-550 rwhp. Sure that much variance on 1000+ hp, I can see, but not half that kind of power.

Hmm.. guess, I will have to just do a 'roll' with one, and see if there difference is noticeable.

No lp640 should have 560whp, if you see it,just how some Dyno are set up reads high,we have 2 dynos at the shop,1 do read little higher then other.

No lp640 should have 560whp, if you see it,just how some Dyno are set up reads high,we have 2 dynos at the shop,1 do read little higher then other.

hmmm.. well count me sufficiently confused, because FABSPEED clearly has a dyno graph of one doing that, on this very forum.

Oh well, just need to do a little highway pull with a stock lp640 and my questions will be answered. A local guy has one, I might set something up with him if I can (wont be anytime soon).

Thanks,

Jon

Why wouldn't you just do Turbos? Isn't that similiar to the cost of upgrading from a reg murcie to an LP640?

No, I'm sure its a lot more money (and headaches) to do Turbos.

per Vbox 60-130 in the same road and condition, my 2003 Murcie has a dead even time and rate of acceleration as an LP640, however i've done the following mods:

DMS tune; RWD; exhaust and primary cat delete.

still the 670SV is so much faster. over 1second faster still than both cars 60-130mph.

this just gives you an idea on what has to be done to early murcie to match up the performance of an all stock LP640.

There is one HUGE advantage to doing turbos on a 6.5L as opposed to 6.2L and it will ultimately cost you less to modify the 6.5L.

No, I'm sure its a lot more money (and headaches) to do Turbos.

A base turbo package which will yield you greater than 100hp is what, $40k? Isn't that about what it costs to upgrade from an earlier Murcie to an LP or even more? Strictly speaking from a HP gain to cost perspective then turbos on your current one seem more efficient.

A base turbo package which will yield you greater than 100hp is what, $40k? Isn't that about what it costs to upgrade from an earlier Murcie to an LP or even more? Strictly speaking from a HP gain to cost perspective then turbos on your current one seem more efficient.

For $40k, you should be able to ship your Murci to and from the shop, have the bolt-on kit done with high-quality NON-cast parts, and still have plenty left over. Anything more is rape.

For $40k, you should be able to ship your Murci to and from the shop, have the bolt-on kit done with high-quality NON-cast parts, and still have plenty left over. Anything more is rape.

I ballparked a little high just in case I was way off lol.

I ballparked a little high just in case I was way off lol.

LOL! The sad part is, you aren't when it comes to some...

per Vbox 60-130 in the same road and condition, my 2003 Murcie has a dead even time and rate of acceleration as an LP640, however i've done the following mods:

DMS tune; RWD; exhaust and primary cat delete.

still the 670SV is so much faster. over 1second faster still than both cars 60-130mph.

this just gives you an idea on what has to be done to early murcie to match up the performance of an all stock LP640.

Great info. Wonder what the difference would be then, if one did the same thing to the lp640? Would it then compete with a stock lp670 ?

Even if I got a lp640, I wouldnt leave it stock, the easy of modability to 2WD, Exhaust, Tune and air filters would mandate I do it to the LP640 also :)

Great info. Wonder what the difference would be then, if one did the same thing to the lp640? Would it then compete with a stock lp670 ?

Even if I got a lp640, I wouldnt leave it stock, the easy of modability to 2WD, Exhaust, Tune and air filters would mandate I do it to the LP640 also :)

i reckon you can do that and get closer to the 670SV. but then again the 670SV can do the same thing and get gains as well albeit the effect is not as great as when done with a 640.

also, the drive of the 640 is obviously better than the 1st generation. it's not worlds apart but you can feel the improvement in the composure of the car.

What will 'Covert Tuning Dynamics' be charging?

i reckon you can do that and get closer to the 670SV. but then again the 670SV can do the same thing and get gains as well albeit the effect is not as great as when done with a 640.

also, the drive of the 640 is obviously better than the 1st generation. it's not worlds apart but you can feel the improvement in the composure of the car.

Not so sure about the 670sv having the same done to it. Keep in mind, the factory already removed a lot more of those restrictions that helped them get to the 670 hp rating. I think of the 670hp as a further refinement in tuning and restriction elimination on the lp640. I dont believe they used anything sustaintail for engine parts. It stayed the same size 6.5 liters, where as the lp640 made a jump in displacement over the reg murci. I think the lp670 got a less restrictive exhaust, more agressive engine management, etc. So I think going aftermarket intake, exhaust and tune likely wont net as much as doing it to a reg murci or lp640.

although of course RWD will certainly benefit them all similarly.

I've driven an lp640, I'll agree its not worlds better, at least in driveability. I was more interested in its power advantage.

Not so sure about the 670sv having the same done to it. Keep in mind, the factory already removed a lot more of those restrictions that helped them get to the 670 hp rating. I think of the 670hp as a further refinement in tuning and restriction elimination on the lp640. I dont believe they used anything sustaintail for engine parts. It stayed the same size 6.5 liters, where as the lp640 made a jump in displacement over the reg murci. I think the lp670 got a less restrictive exhaust, more agressive engine management, etc. So I think going aftermarket intake, exhaust and tune likely wont net as much as doing it to a reg murci or lp640.

although of course RWD will certainly benefit them all similarly.

I've driven an lp640, I'll agree its not worlds better, at least in driveability. I was more interested in its power advantage.

The 670SV picks up 3% power with 3% weight reduction with RWD conversion. Never did a custom exhaust and tune. That would pick up about 45RWHP on top of that. Obviously LOTS more can be done to that motor.