Out of state cars, rusting, and road salts.

MrDoctor

Mom is looking for a new aka used car. I found a great car, but its out of state. Spent some time in Utah and Washington. I've never bought a car that was not in CA its entire life. How do road salts affect newer MY cars? Should I skip this vehicle? Things I should look out for? Should I be concerned that it the frame will rust quicker? Other than this fact its a good car.

What is the car? Was it garaged? If the seller took care of the vehicle and didn't let road salts and other road particles sit on the car then it should be fine. You should be able to look at it and get a pretty good feel.

Mom is looking for a new aka used car. I found a great car, but its out of state. Spent some time in Utah and Washington. I've never bought a car that was not in CA its entire life. How do road salts affect newer MY cars? Should I skip this vehicle? Things I should look out for? Should I be concerned that it the frame will rust quicker? Other than this fact its a good car.

How old and how many miles?

I don't think I'd worry about it at all. My H2 is almost 6 years old, and I drive it EVERY day here in the North East - rain, snow, salt, whatever...It's out there... I use it to tow my track cars in the summer, and use it to tow my snowmobiles up North (upstate NY and Canada) in the winters. Over 100k and I don't see any significant rust anywhere on that truck.

(It doesn't break down, either, so I'll literally keep this one until it dies!).

No real worries on newer MY cars, I live in Columbus Ohio and I think they own stock in the salt companies....that being said, I have never seen an issue with any of my cars as long as they are washed regularly but not obsessively..

What is the car? Was it garaged? If the seller took care of the vehicle and didn't let road salts and other road particles sit on the car then it should be fine. You should be able to look at it and get a pretty good feel.

Infinti G35. I have no idea if it was garaged. The paint was in surprisingly good condition, so I don't doubt it. Took a look at it last night, so I have to stop by this weekend during the daytime to know for sure.

How old and how many miles?

I don't think I'd worry about it at all. My H2 is almost 6 years old, and I drive it EVERY day here in the North East - rain, snow, salt, whatever...It's out there... I use it to tow my track cars in the summer, and use it to tow my snowmobiles up North (upstate NY and Canada) in the winters. Over 100k and I don't see any significant rust anywhere on that truck.

(It doesn't break down, either, so I'll literally keep this one until it dies!).

9 years old, 90k miles. H2s are bad ass! Good to know, thank you, very comforting.

No real worries on newer MY cars, I live in Columbus Ohio and I think they own stocking salt companies....that being said, I have never seen an issue with any of my cars as long as they are washed regularly but not obsessively..

Thank you! :icon_thumleft:

Infinti G35. I have no idea if it was garaged. The paint was in surprisingly good condition, so I don't doubt it. Took a look at it last night, so I have to stop by this weekend during the daytime to know for sure.

Yeah, check the paint...If it looks good it was likely well cared for. Nissan/Infiniti have THE WORST paint on the planet, so as long as it's held up, it's probably good to go.

With that said, G35's are good. I am on the 3rd G35x/G37xS for my wife and they are great. While she hasn't taken them up to 90k, she did put ~45k on each of the first two, and neither one was ever in the shop for anything. The third one I just picked up for her only has about 2k on it so far, and feels just as good as the other two.

My H2 is almost 6 years old, and I drive it EVERY day here in the North East - rain, snow, salt, whatever...It's out there... I use it to tow my track cars in the summer, and use it to tow my snowmobiles up North (upstate NY and Canada) in the winters. Over 100k and I don't see any significant rust anywhere on that truck.

9 years old, 90k miles. H2s are bad ass! Good to know, thank you, very comforting.

I had no idea H2s were that much of a beast! I have always loved Hummers (what 6 yo doesn't see Stormin' Norman with his cigar and an H1 in the background during the Gulf War and think it's the coolest Tonka Truck ever!) but I was scared away from the H2 with it basically being a new body on a Tahoe frame. I may have to rethink this now and start looking at them again.

Yeah, check the paint...If it looks good it was likely well cared for. Nissan/Infiniti have THE WORST paint on the planet, so as long as it's held up, it's probably good to go.

With that said, G35's are good. I am on the 3rd G35x/G37xS for my wife and they are great. While she hasn't taken them up to 90k, she did put ~45k on each of the first two, and neither one was ever in the shop for anything. The third one I just picked up for her only has about 2k on it so far, and feels just as good as the other two.

Did any of them have the "squeaky" belt problem? This one is a MY 03 and on a cold startup, the belts were squeaking/chirping. Did some research and apparently it is just because the tension of the belts. Once the car is warm, the sound goes away. But when its off a cold start, it sounds like a hooptie! I hear its a common problem. G3xs rock!

Did any of them have the "squeaky" belt problem? This one is a MY 03 and on a cold startup, the belts were squeaking/chirping. Did some research and apparently it is just because the tension of the belts. Once the car is warm, the sound goes away. But when its off a cold start, it sounds like a hooptie! I hear its a common problem. G3xs rock!

No. No squeaking belts. Her first was an 06, then an 09, and now a 13.

i would definitely get the car inspected for more than just mechanical things

car should be rust free but it's more likely to have at least some surface rust. car should also be hosed regularly especially the under body, wheel well and door sills. you can actually inspect this yourself if you get the car on a lift or drive it onto a ramp, assuming it's a local car.

battery life shortens in cold weather so if it's old, it'll likely need to be replaced.

i would definitely get the car inspected for more than just mechanical things

car should be rust free but it's more likely to have at least some surface rust. car should also be hosed regularly especially the under body, wheel well and door sills. you can actually inspect this yourself if you get the car on a lift or drive it onto a ramp, assuming it's a local car.

battery life shortens in cold weather so if it's old, it'll likely need to be replaced.

Yeah, def. thinking about finding a mechanic to check it out this weekend! A $300 fee to find a $1k fix is a good investment imo