Clean Title ... Car fax shows total Insurance Loss WTF

FrankD

Just ran into a weird situation that I wanted to run by some knowledable members here. I am looking for a jeep for my son as a first car and found a 2008 Sahara Unlimited that fits the bill. The dealer has a clean/non-branded title in hand with a clean Auto check. Since I've been burned in the past with Auto-Check in the past,I ran a car fax.......it also showed the title to be clean but it also showed a total insurance loss from collision damage 6 months ago. I've never run into this in all my years of dealing with used cars. I spoke to Car Fax and the said that just because a car is considered a total insurance loss, it doesn't neccessarily automatically brand the title as salvage. This was not a fleet or self insured lease......Has anyone else run into this and if so, what was the exlpaination?

thanks

Frankd

A total loss is a total loss. Your looking at a salvage vehicle that has had the title washed. Loan value is the max you should pay, and I would check it out carefully first. What many don't realize, is that after the vehicle is totaled, it is moved from spot to spot with a forklift. More damage then happens. Take it to a really good frame shop & put it up on an alignment rack. I'm not talking about your local Goodyear or Firestone dealer (these guys love to yell "set the toe & let it go"), a real collision shop.

why would you even entertain buying your kid a car that's obviously been seriously damaged? Not an area to cut corners in my book.

:iamwithstupid:

Consider yourself lucky you were smart enough to find the truth and move along.

I would pass on the Jeep as a first car. Get a used 4Runner for the same money and they're tanks, not roll-over hazards.

Just ran into a weird situation that I wanted to run by some knowledable members here. I am looking for a jeep for my son as a first car and found a 2008 Sahara Unlimited that fits the bill. The dealer has a clean/non-branded title in hand with a clean Auto check. Since I've been burned in the past with Auto-Check in the past,I ran a car fax.......it also showed the title to be clean but it also showed a total insurance loss from collision damage 6 months ago. I've never run into this in all my years of dealing with used cars. I spoke to Car Fax and the said that just because a car is considered a total insurance loss, it doesn't neccessarily automatically brand the title as salvage. This was not a fleet or self insured lease......Has anyone else run into this and if so, what was the exlpaination?

thanks

Frankd

Not sure if I am replying or not I never go online , if you want send me the vin ill look at it. [email protected] , You can wash titles through certain states the carfax should reflect same, with a total loss car you may not be able to get insurance, if you call your insurance carrier they can run the damage and find out the truth, but if your buying it by price and if it looks to good to be true then RUN FOREST RUN there are no good deals! Sometimes cars may be less but if they are way off the mark and the deal seems so good there usually is a reason

Steve

The title is the title. If the car went through Louisiana or Alabama, title is likely washed. That is where most of the Katrina cars were passed through. Car might look ok, but it could be a flood car. That is what would scare me the most. The hidden gremlins in those things are impossible to get rid of. Good luck. I also mirror John's remarks about a first car, for what it is worth, it would not be my first choice. Hope it all works out.

I'm not looking to buy the car......just was wondering how the car fax can show a clean title and a total loss and the title going to an insurance company? The title does not appear to have been washed....the current title corresponds with the car fax and there is a clear path of ownership. Thanks for the 4 Runner idea...never thought of one. Interestly, car fax guarentees the title as being clean.....don't know how that really works. Thanks for the input.......

It seems that when you register from state to state, sometimes the salvage label will drop. Or the insurance company deemed it properly repaired, they can issue a "rebuilt" title, and some states do not recognize the rebuilt label so it shows up clear.