What is wrong with marketing these days??!!

VCR

Need to rant :rant: :

It likely started with Porsche where you pay more for a car which comes with less things.

And Lamborghini is getting there when you have to buy the stupid Torx wrench for the wheel lugs.

But Sony tops it all...

On Sony's NEX-series digicam, the case is optional (no big deal). But...Sony sells the case in 2 sections! I.e. you buy the bottom part that cradles the camera. And then you need to buy the upper part SEPARATELY that fits into the bottom part to cover/protect the camera!. Essentially and of course, you need both parts to form a complete case. Selling the upper & lower part separately? WTF??!!

Sony made an unique 24MP full-frame digicam in the size of a point & shoot compact. Top-notch performance but it doesn't come with many things: a battery, a stupid charger that only plugs into the camera (i.e. to charge the battery, you need to put it in the camera and then connect the charger to the camera! :eusa_wall: ), a strap, an USB cable and that's it! If you want an outboard charger, you need to buy one separately; an electronic view finder, you need to buy one; an optical viewfinder, surprise, you need to buy one; even for a stupid lens hood, you still need to buy one. If Sony charges under $1200 for the camera, I understand why such accessories are not included. But no, the camera costs a whopping $2800 (much more than an entry to intermediate level D-SLR)!! $450 for the EVF; $600 for the optical version; and even the lens hood is $180 (ok, it's machined aluminum, but still...). Add the usual filters, memory card and an extra battery; and it's approaching the $1000 mark. (And that's skipping the pointless optical VF. And no case yet; this one comes complete but costs the moon!)

Why not just put everything in a nice package and sell it for $3600?

No wonder Sony is bleeding bad but that's no way to recuperate the loss! At the way they are going, even the loyal diehards are looking elsewhere! :angry:

Sony camera? They make crap these days...

Stick to a Nikon or Canon.

They made crap 2 years ago & further back. Getting better & better these days. I didn't say I bought one. :)

Had been & continue to use Nikon for years. Sony, btw, makes the image sensors for the top-end Nikon D-SLRs.

Unless you are a boutique manufacturer few people has heard of (barely making any money to boot), the modern business model of marketing gimmicks and planned obsolescence is the norm...unfortunately.

Don't forget Apple and the iPhone 5 jack being different from all of the other Apple products

But that kinda makes sense since they need to slim it down

Crap, Sony is blowing it on this one. The initial attraction, besides the smaller form factor, was that it's price point was pretty competitive. I like their Nex equipment but I'm not going to pay that much for it...not when there are many other competitive options.