Importing car from Canada

PCJR

Buddy of mine is looking at purchasing a car

from Canada. The car was originally a US car.

He is assuming something was done to it for Canada

Registration but he's not positive.

Anyone have an idea as to what the steps and cost

might be to Federalize the car for US registration?

Canadian regulations are tougher than the US regulations. Canadian regulations include DRL (Daytime running lights) and a metric speedometer at the very least.

I think PCJR is talking about the other way around, i.e. bringing a car from Canada to the US.

I don't think it would be too much of a problem especially if it was an US car. As Nitrouz had said, Canada requires car to have DRL; i.e. headlights are on as soon as the car is cranked and cannot be defeated. It should not be too hard to retrofitted back to defeatable if needed. Speedometer and odometer are another issue; Canada uses metric so it would be in kilometres. But being an US car originally, chances are the speedo is in both mph & kph with the odometer already in miles. Other things like child seat anchors and seatbelts that locks the child seats are non-issue. Canada also requires a higher impact rating on the bumpers but again, it's not a big deal & likely won't cause any trouble. As a car originally destined for the North American market, all the compliance stickers and badges are likely already there below the B-pillar on the driver's side. Emissions are pretty similar so as long as it has all the OEM exhaust (with cats), it should not be a problem. Likewise for all the tires and lighting, so long as all are DOT-approved (which a stock North American market-oriented car should have), they should be fine.

One possible hiccup is that Canadian vehicles do not have a title like that of the US. But if your friend had all the sales record & insurance papers, it should not be too much of an headache.

Not sure if it needs a manufacturer's recall letter or not but if so, knowing the service manager of the car brand would likely make things a lot easier; otherwise, it depends on whether the dealership wants to make a few quick easy buck or not.

Oh and have the car properly washed as well. Not sure about the US but Canada is really stringent on soil contamination so to be safe, ensure the car is not muddy.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind...if the car was a USA car first AND IT was built in the USA..then no Duties to come back in...BUT if it was orginaly built OUTSIDE of the USA..say a Lambo, Ferrari..etc etc..it will be subject to the "re-entry" duty fee's. Canada is paperless title..only a "Registrration" sheet..but Customs will give you the correct entry accept paperwork...then depending on your state where you title it...you may need an inspection prior to a tile being issued..

States along the Canada boarder..such as ours Washington State are a lot easier to title back and forth as we do it all the time...we do not need and inspection and can just drive it across and take care of it with Washington State title same day.

Keep in mind...if the car was a USA car first AND IT was built in the USA..then no Duties to come back in...BUT if it was orginaly built OUTSIDE of the USA..say a Lambo, Ferrari..etc etc..it will be subject to the "re-entry" duty fee's. Canada is paperless title..only a "Registrration" sheet..but Customs will give you the correct entry accept paperwork...then depending on your state where you title it...you may need an inspection prior to a tile being issued..

States along the Canada boarder..such as ours Washington State are a lot easier to title back and forth as we do it all the time...we do not need and inspection and can just drive it across and take care of it with Washington State title same day.

Thx Roy, I'll pass along the info!

Guest Dereiter

Roy,

Thank you for the information.

I consider to come my Murcilago lp640 back to the USA. She was bought in US and moved to Europe in 2010. Should the car have an emission test or any else additional tests to be clear in US again?

Roy,

Thank you for the information.

I consider to come my Murcilago lp640 back to the USA. She was bought in US and moved to Europe in 2010. Should the car have an emission test or any else additional tests to be clear in US again?

A 640, IF new delivered ot the USA is a 50 State compliant vehicle. Re-testing of emissions will depend on WHAT State and/or County you bring it back to and title and register it in.