2002 Murcie with Fabspeed

megachad

So I worked all night and installed the fabspeed exhaust in my car.. It was a huge pain in the ass and it didn't quite fit right. After a bunch of research between me, whiteout and fabspeed, we found that they accidentally shipped a diablo xpipe instead of the Murcie xpipe.. No big deal, they are going to send me the correct one overnight and I'll just ship this one back. Whiteout is as great a guy as they come as he has helped me through this whole process. Fabspeed is a stand up business and I would recommend them to anyone here on LP.. Issues are to be expected, it's how you deal with the issues.. They are great guys.

Since I found a way to still get this Diablo exhaust into the Murci, all be it with a couple small leaks at the clamps, I figured I would video it just to compare the two exhaust sounds.. This actually sounded really good.. Really good. This video doesn't give it much justice. Volume and pitch are amazing in person! This is about 4500rpm max rev.. Didn't warm up engine enough to feel comfortable going above that..

Many more video's to come to show how awesome this Fabspeed design and sound is.. Can't wait to get her on the road with a Go Pro strapped on!

That does sound great. Fabspeed is an outstanding company to work with and I am enjoy being able to be apart of projects that include their products.

Chad, I am very happy to help. The text conversations are always interesting. . . annnnd SLC just got a whole lot louder. :D

Alright, got the correct Murci exhaust from fabspeed installed last night.. Finally got to drive the car around and compare before and after..

With the fabspeed xpipe installed along with the BMC filters the car has some new characteristics.. Throttle response is definitely better. As I increase throttle I can actually feel the exhaust gasses escaping the car as quickly as possible. It's almost as if before there was a cork in the tailpipe and you could feel something holding the car back... Not anymore.. the response is quick and fluid, the faster the exhaust flows out of the car the faster the car seems to propel forward.. The torque comes on stronger and sooner. With the additional power and the 100lb diet wheel spin is always imminent. However imminent wheel spin is I feel more in control of the power that is available. The car feels more nimble in my hands. I feel more connected in some way. Between removing the front diff and adding the pipes the 200lb diet is easily felt..Removing the excess weight at the outer edges of the car puts more of the weight in the center of the car. Going through some long corners the car feels more neutral, more balanced. You can truly feel the difference in your seat, your hands, and your gut. The car is quicker, more aggresive, and all over more fun to drive..

With the window down the sound of the air screaming into the throttle bodies is exhilarating. The scream of the exhaust is pronounced, and the feeling behind the wheel is aggressive.

Congrats! I got mine in. Just working to get it fully installed

Sweet, you are going to love it.

Just fyi, the clamps they send work perfectly for the xpipe to tips connections.. The clamps leaked for the connection between the pipe and the primaries. It may just have been my setup, but all i did was use the stock clamps there and they worked perfectly.

I would recommend the fabspeed to anyone 100% . Amazing product and amazing company to deal with.. As well Whiteout helped me with the order and he was amazing. I feel bad for the amount of texts i have sent him past 7pm and he answered every one.. Thanks Nick!

So I worked all night and installed the fabspeed exhaust in my car.. we found that they accidentally shipped a diablo xpipe instead of the Murcie xpipe..

David@fabspeed, are you fuckin kidding me? This cant be serious, this was the VERY reason you guys lost my business on my Exhaust purchase. You guys did the exact same thing to me 6 months ago, you didnt learn your lesson. WOW....

We later did business together because of your assurance that it had never happened before and you guys learned a huge lesson...... WOW...

come on David, you have to admit thats bullshit... You guys have to get your shit right.

David@fabspeed, are you fuckin kidding me? This cant be serious, this was the VERY reason you guys lost my business on my Exhaust purchase. You guys did the exact same thing to me 6 months ago, you didnt learn your lesson. WOW....

We later did business together because of your assurance that it had never happened before and you guys learned a huge lesson...... WOW...

come on David, you have to admit thats bullshit... You guys have to get your shit right.

Jon, i'm not in shipping OR fabrication, i'm in sales, i personally have no control over the screw up's in the back, the best i can do is try and make it right when there is a screw up. the two exhausts share a fixture and are so similar i could see how my guys can make the mistake. since this has happened multiple times we are bringing chips diablo in this weekend to make a second fixture to keep them apart and hopefully keep this from happening again.

In Fabspeed's defense, they overnighted the proper exhaust as soon as the discrepancy was brought to their attention. Seeing the Diablo and Murci exhaust back to back it's very easy to see how the two could get confused (they are identical).

In Fabspeed's defense, they overnighted the proper exhaust as soon as the discrepancy was brought to their attention. Seeing the Diablo and Murci exhaust back to back it's very easy to see how the two could get confused (they are identical).

:iamwithstupid:

Jon, i'm not in shipping OR fabrication, i'm in sales, i personally have no control over the screw up's in the back, the best i can do is try and make it right when there is a screw up. the two exhausts share a fixture and are so similar i could see how my guys can make the mistake. since this has happened multiple times we are bringing chips diablo in this weekend to make a second fixture to keep them apart and hopefully keep this from happening again.

Make something on it a bit different and identify the difference in your qc book. Give the book to your shipping dept and make them aware that they need to do the final check.

Things that look the same but are not quite are always a problem in manufacturing and shipping.

Well great, I'm glad it wasnt as big of an impact, I missed THE LAST car show of the summer last year (shortly after getting my lambo) so I was crushed with this screw up. It was one thing after another, so to hear it happened again, I was like 'are you serious?? !!'

So yeah, I still harbor a little resentment, do I like David? You bet ya.. is he probably mad I made a stink about this? Probably.. But I think he can appeciate that we have a strong passion for our cars, and dissapointments like this, that leave you stranded, especially when you have something special you wanted to go to could use a few moments of proper planning/review before something ships to make sure your not single handedly destroying the excitement a new exhaust can bring when you first unbox it.

I'm still mad it happened to me I guess.. and this thread brought that back out. I wish nothing but success for Fabspeed and David, but they HAVE to get their shit right. They really did ruin an event I had been strongly anticipating going to as a new lambo owner back then. It probably doesnt help that I make my money from being a process expert, and so I have an issue with mistakes that can be easily corrected with a simple proper process on product identification and handling.

Rant over, I'm glad you happy, Fabspeed do better product management.

Thanks,

Jon

Well great, I'm glad it wasnt as big of an impact, I missed THE LAST car show of the summer last year (shortly after getting my lambo) so I was crushed with this screw up. It was one thing after another, so to hear it happened again, I was like 'are you serious?? !!'

So yeah, I still harbor a little resentment, do I like David? You bet ya.. is he probably mad I made a stink about this? Probably.. But I think he can appeciate that we have a strong passion for our cars, and dissapointments like this, that leave you stranded, especially when you have something special you wanted to go to could use a few moments of proper planning/review before something ships to make sure your not single handedly destroying the excitement a new exhaust can bring when you first unbox it.

I'm still mad it happened to me I guess.. and this thread brought that back out. I wish nothing but success for Fabspeed and David, but they HAVE to get their shit right. They really did ruin an event I had been strongly anticipating going to as a new lambo owner back then. It probably doesnt help that I make my money from being a process expert, and so I have an issue with mistakes that can be easily corrected with a simple proper process on product identification and handling.

Rant over, I'm glad you happy, Fabspeed do better product management.

Thanks,

Jon

:iamwithstupid:

• 2 years later...

Megachad,

What were the symptoms of being sent the Diablo version of the exhaust instead of the Murci one?

I just received my Fabspeed exhaust today, and it looks like I just wasted a bunch of time and effort for nothing because the exhaust is too narrow at the primaries by about 1 1/8 inch.

I don't feel like that amount can be made up by loosening the primaries, which is a pain in the butt too if I had to do that.

Thanks,

Stimpy

2016_01_23_15.19.33.jpg

2016_01_23_15.19.09.jpg

Yep, loosen the primaries and some good old pressure with a crowbar so get mine all lined up

Ugh. That's how you end up with cracked exhausts over time.

Why cant they just make them right?

Ugh. That's how you end up with cracked exhausts over time.

Why cant they just make them right?

I believe the way these exhausts are with so many pieces...headers, primaries, xpipes, secondaries, tips...that everything needs to be assembled loose and aligned before tightening or else there runs the risk of things not lining up. When the jig is made, they make it based on one car and since other cars can have different exhaust alignments due to multiple engine outs, it's hard to get it to work for all.

I agree it's a pain but the primaries can be adjusted a little so you don't have that much pressure/flex.

My problem was really the angle of the exhaust tips instead but Fabspeed corrected after they had my car at their shop.

I believe the way these exhausts are with so many pieces...headers, primaries, xpipes, secondaries, tips...that everything needs to be assembled loose and aligned before tightening or else there runs the risk of things not lining up. When the jig is made, they make it based on one car and since other cars can have different exhaust alignments due to multiple engine outs, it's hard to get it to work for all.

I agree it's a pain but the primaries can be adjusted a little so you don't have that much pressure/flex.

My problem was really the angle of the exhaust tips instead but Fabspeed corrected after they had my car at their shop.

Was yours that far off as well? 1 1/8 inches is a lot. I am not sure there's that much room, if the joints can even flex that much, as my O2 sensor on the right is almost touching the heat shield already.

I am very curious to hear from megachad how the Diablo version differed from the Murci version. He got Diablo version to work on his Murci, but it was leaking. I think that would be same for my situation if I moved the joint at the primaries that much.

I'm sure he will chime in or maybe Jon. I don't recall the exact distance mine was off. If I recall, the 2 tunes feed into the primary so there is a little adjustment with the primary than could bring that delta down some. Not saying they can be adjusted perfectly to cover that but better. It's hard to say without messing around with them

I agree messing with the primaries is a pain. A local owner had a similar issue with another exhaust. His solution was to cut and re-weld an extension to make it fit.

Although I think loosening both primaries to get everything aligned may be the better choice.

Now, I wonder. Your factory box fit fine, this exhaust did not. Whose jig is off, the factory or ...?

I agree messing with the primaries is a pain. A local owner had a similar issue with another exhaust. His solution was to cut and re-weld an extension to make it fit.

Although I think loosening both primaries to get everything aligned may be the better choice.

Now, I wonder. Your factory box fit fine, this exhaust did not. Whose jig is off, the factory or ...?

And I've had an LOC exhaust both with secondary cats and with factory secondary cat deletes and both setups fit fine.

Looking like either FabSpeed sent me the wrong exhaust or they have a bad jig.

Cutting up the FabSpeed to make it fit would be a royal pain with the resonators in the way. Plus you would have to do both sides an equal amount or the exhaust tips wouldn't be centered.