19 firefighters killed in Arizona wildfire.

Roman

R.I.P. to them :(

As a side note, what causes these wildfires? I remember reading from I think Michael Crichton where he said one reason these types of fires never (or rarely?) occur on private forests owned by companies (like Georgia-Pacific for example) is because they very rigorously manage their forests, doing things like clearing out the underbrush, dead trees in the forest, etc...whereas the fires breakout in publicly-managed forests because they don't do this.

R.I.P. to them :(

As a side note, what causes these wildfires? I remember reading from I think Michael Crichton where he said one reason these types of fires never (or rarely?) occur on private forests owned by companies (like Georgia-Pacific for example) is because they very rigorously manage their forests, doing things like clearing out the underbrush, dead trees in the forest, etc...whereas the fires breakout in publicly-managed forests because they don't do this.

What causes them? Fuel+Oxygen+ heat. Add the heat wave we're having (Did I see death valley hit 131 today?) and low humidity and BANG... Off to the races.... And yes... Privately owned managed lands are more fire resistant because owners have the incentive (and ability) to keep the fuel load down.... But on a day like today, it really doesnt matter... IT WANTS TO BURN.

Terrible. RIP. Between this and the article about the guy who strangled and chopped up a puppy to cook, I don't even want to see anymore news today.

Such a fcuking brutal way to go. I have a ton of respect for those Hot Shot crews, they go in with 110% commitment to get the job done. Parachuting into the middle of an out of control wildfire has to be on just about anyones top 5 worst ideas ever.

Such a fcuking brutal way to go. I have a ton of respect for those Hot Shot crews, they go in with 110% commitment to get the job done. Parachuting into the middle of an out of control wildfire has to be on just about anyones top 5 worst ideas ever.

:iamwithstupid: Incredibly sad and a horrific way to go, possibly the worst way to lose your life. Anyone who is able to commit and risk their lives to save ours is on an entirely different level.

RIP

so tragic, these were the elite of the elite of firefighters too.

The news reported that they deployed their fire shields or something to that extent which is only done as a last ditch effort to survive.

What exactly is that?

Foily looking blanket thing you pull over your back, lay down in the dirt, and hope the fire goes over you and dissipates. Otherwise, you lay there and get incinerated.

It's literally this is our last fcuking option, fcuk fcuk fcuk, alright, lets do it kind of thing.

FireShieldP1010071.JPG

When 19 of these guys didn't make it, you can pretty much take it to the bank there isn't a single person on the face of the planet that could have survived.

Prayers sent to the families. I talked to a few of them and a crew down from Montana helping with the Doce fire just a little over a week ago. Those guys have been very busy latley, it has already been a bad fire season this year.

A few pics of what these guys were dealing with a couple weeks ago

post-7359-1372711921.jpg

post-7359-1372711931.jpg

post-7359-1372711938.jpg