OZ Ultraleggera wheels

Kisco

So I talked to a few people on the other forum regarding these wheels and it seems like the track guys have these. I had no idea these wheels are produced from the same company that produces the Superleggera wheels, and that OZ is affiliated with Speedline and BBS.

They have a great design, IMO, and the price is almost unbelievable. You know what they say...if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is, but again, it seems like some hardcore track guys are really praising these wheels.

Thoughts??

OZ.jpg

In speaking with tirerack.com, they just told me that the weights are as follows:

Fronts: 19x8.5, 21.2 lbs (with center caps)

Rears: 19x11, 24.2 lbs (with center caps)

Pretty light for non-forged wheels.

I think OZ made the original SL wheels but Otto Fuchs makes the LP570 wheels.

Also are they hubcentric or are centering rings required. Personally, I would't use centering rings on a Lambo - deserves better.

Didnt that member who had the silver Gallardo have them on his car. The guy who made all the videos of it? I forget his name. I think he also had Allans old racing seats in the G as well.

Didnt that member who had the silver Gallardo have them on his car. The guy who made all the videos of it? I forget his name. I think he also had Allans old racing seats in the G as well.

Yup, Dan was his first name IIRC. I forgot his forum screen name though.

I have a pair of superleggera's and they are very light.

Ultraleggera is basically the replacement of the superleggara. A couple of grams heavier but forged from what i know.

Was woundering why none of the high powered cars here don't use ultra light rims.

OZ Racing wheels are top notch, and you are correct that OZ made the original Superleggera wheel. I know a few guys that run Superforgiata's on R8's for track use, so they're definitely strong wheels. OZ should have Lambo fitment without the use of centering rims, but it may just be the Superforgiata in R8/Gallardo fitment.

Thanks fellas.

It looks like everyone I speak to tells me that these are top notch, quality wheels.

I would be all over the Superforgiatas but they don't make them in the LP560 sizes...it's too bad because they look AWESOME!

For reference, they are good enough for Ferrari's F1 cars. Obviously not the exact same wheels, but not many wheel companies make F1 level stuff.

4270f428830ee5b862cb5e3e925c0999.jpg

0cfdf30064417ec9d19086d6b579f129.jpg

Yup, I am convinced. Now, can someone tell me why they are so cheap? This is why I originally ignored them. I just thought they were some cheap wheels/brand from Tire Rack. It was only yesterday that I found out what OZ is all about and I was very surprised.

What is the catch??

[Name=Kisco' date='Jul 30 2013, 04:27 PM' post='1053195]

What is the catch??

I can just assume economy of scale. They are a massive OE supplier for auto and motorcycle wheels so doing aftermarket stuff has to be relatively inexpensive.

Plus I believe the aftermarket wheel industry prices are wildly over inflated just trying to keep up with their insane marketing budgets. Forged wheel blanks all come from just a couple suppliers so you can assume all the major companies have material costs very similar to one another. From there its just production overhead and advertising.

I've considered pricing some blanks just to see what it would cost to cut my own wheels. I bet it's shockingly inexpensive for the slugs. Even if it's double my per LB price compared to casting it would make you sick.

Yup, I am convinced. Now, can someone tell me why they are so cheap? This is why I originally ignored them. I just thought they were some cheap wheels/brand from Tire Rack. It was only yesterday that I found out what OZ is all about and I was very surprised.

What is the catch??

It's not catch, they are Cast wheels hence the process is easier or more cost effective to make them hence less costly to us.

It's not catch, they are Cast wheels hence the process is easier or more cost effective to make them hence less costly to us.

Got ya. As long as they hold up just fine at 170 I am okay with it. :icon_mrgreen:

[name=Kisco' date='Jul 30 2013, 04:27 PM' post='1053195]

What is the catch??

I can just assume economy of scale. They are a massive OE supplier for auto and motorcycle wheels so doing aftermarket stuff has to be relatively inexpensive.

Plus I believe the aftermarket wheel industry prices are wildly over inflated just trying to keep up with their insane marketing budgets. Forged wheel blanks all come from just a couple suppliers so you can assume all the major companies have material costs very similar to one another. From there its just production overhead and advertising.

I've considered pricing some blanks just to see what it would cost to cut my own wheels. I bet it's shockingly inexpensive for the slugs. Even if it's double my per LB price compared to casting it would make you sick.

:icon_thumleft:

Don't forget the costs of TUV testing that some companies do. I am guessing that it cannot be cheap.

They probably have to carry a pretty good insurance policy as well.

:monkeyleft: :monkeyleft: :monkeyleft:

Grigio Telesto has never looked better

LOL, thanks. I had them and they were very good wheels. I used them as track wheels for about 4 years and they held up fine; sustained speeds above 150mph and not just for a few seconds. :icon_thumleft: