Internet streaming set top boxes

Tara

Anybody here have any experience with Roku or Apple TV? I've been researching Roku and it doesn't seem too bad. Only thing is I do not think some of the tv "channels" I am interested are available. For example I know History and H2 are not available but you can find a live stream online. Just trying to see if it is worth converting over? Cable is stupid expensive, paying for a ton of channels that nobody watches.

Channels that are mostly watched in my house:

ABC

CBS

FOX

History

H2

Discovery

Science

Velocity

Nickelodeon

FX

BBC America

Then the normal movie channels

HBO

Starz

Encore

Any input from users would be great!

Anybody here have any experience with Roku or Apple TV? I've been researching Roku and it doesn't seem too bad. Only thing is I do not think some of the tv "channels" I am interested are available. For example I know History and H2 are not available but you can find a live stream online. Just trying to see if it is worth converting over? Cable is stupid expensive, paying for a ton of channels that nobody watches.

Channels that are mostly watched in my house:

ABC

CBS

FOX

History

H2

Discovery

Science

Velocity

Nickelodeon

FX

BBC America

Then the normal movie channels

HBO

Starz

Encore

Any input from users would be great!

I have Apple TV, plus my TV in the living room is a "SmartTV" so it has a lot of streaming features of its own. AppleTV is nice but it is limited, as I think all streaming boxes are right now, and cannot really substitute live tv. None of them include your local channels, nor movie channels such as HBO, Starz, Encore, Etc. You can supplement the local channels by throwing an HD antenna on the house. I use one of these at my office and get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX just fine. Apple TV has Nick and a couple other kids channels, but they require you to have a "cable" subscription in order to use them, same with HBO, so these are effectively useless.

Overall the streaming is nice but still very limited. We use it for netflix and I have cancelled most of my movie channels and just download movies or episodes of shows from those channels and stream them from our Mac to the Apple TV.

I have Apple TV, plus my TV in the living room is a "SmartTV" so it has a lot of streaming features of its own. AppleTV is nice but it is limited, as I think all streaming boxes are right now, and cannot really substitute live tv. None of them include your local channels, nor movie channels such as HBO, Starz, Encore, Etc. You can supplement the local channels by throwing an HD antenna on the house. I use one of these at my office and get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX just fine. Apple TV has Nick and a couple other kids channels, but they require you to have a "cable" subscription in order to use them, same with HBO, so these are effectively useless.

Overall the streaming is nice but still very limited. We use it for netflix and I have cancelled most of my movie channels and just download movies or episodes of shows from those channels and stream them from our Mac to the Apple TV.

With apple TV can you stream AVI and mp4 files from a windows computer?

With apple TV can you stream AVI and mp4 files from a windows computer?

Yes, through iTunes

Love my Roku. It is more versatile then my Vizio Google TV box (which I only have for YouTube). We use our Roku for Netflix/Amazon VOD/Hulu and if they release an xFinity app that will be added in to the rotation as well.

Buddy has a Chromecast and seems pretty happy with it. Problem is it has to have a connection to your phone or computer. Roku works on it's own.