Future Gallardo owner

BMWManiac

First post here....long time BMW fanatic (hence the name) and I'm about 10 months from buying a Gallardo as soon as I return from this damn deployment from Afghanistan.

Been doing a lot of research and I was initially looking to get into a Ferrari 360, but it just seems like there is one thing or another that comes up as an issue. I am mechanically inclined and I don't mind doing maintenance, and the Gallardo just seems to not have many, if any issues.

So, I'm looking for a couple of answers that has been difficult to track down. I'll be in the hunt for a 05-08 Gallardo in about a 10 months and I was curious about:

1) I've seen power steering recall....anything else? I'll ONLY buy a 6 speed manual, so no E gear issues for me

2) What options do you wish you waited out for or had? I want the clear rear bonnet, heated seats, and 6 speed manual....branding package? What else is there that I'm missing? Prefer yellow calipers and Grigio telesto if I can find one! Is the quilt pattern available only on 09+?

That is pretty much all I have for right now....cannot wait to get into one and the 10 months are going to be agonizing! Should make for a very nice Christmas present for 2014 though!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First post here....long time BMW fanatic (hence the name) and I'm about 10 months from buying a Gallardo as soon as I return from this damn deployment from Afghanistan.

Been doing a lot of research and I was initially looking to get into a Ferrari 360, but it just seems like there is one thing or another that comes up as an issue. I am mechanically inclined and I don't mind doing maintenance, and the Gallardo just seems to not have many, if any issues.

So, I'm looking for a couple of answers that has been difficult to track down. I'll be in the hunt for a 05-08 Gallardo in about a 10 months and I was curious about:

1) I've seen power steering recall....anything else? I'll ONLY buy a 6 speed manual, so no E gear issues for me

2) What options do you wish you waited out for or had? I want the clear rear bonnet, heated seats, and 6 speed manual....branding package? What else is there that I'm missing? Prefer yellow calipers and Grigio telesto if I can find one! Is the quilt pattern available only on 09+?

That is pretty much all I have for right now....cannot wait to get into one and the 10 months are going to be agonizing! Should make for a very nice Christmas present for 2014 though!

Go as new as you can afford, as close to '08 as possible. I'm assuming you aren't making the jump to the 560's because of budgetary reasons?

I'll let some of the more knowledgeable members fire off about your first point.

In regard to the second point, don't miss out on a great deal because it doesn't have all the right options. The aftermarket is strong for the Gallardo amongst our sponsors and you'd be able to, if you wanted, update the front and rear bumpers, exhaust, all the important things.

Best of luck over there, stay safe and thanks for your service. Enjoy your stay, and welcome to the Bullpen.

quilted seats were available on the 08's. A grigio telesto manual gallardo is going to be hard to find as the color came out in 08 (i think).

be sure to get a good PPI before you buy.

Welcome to LP, you've found the best Lamborghini forum on the net, good luck with your search, I know the wait can be agonizing but it's all worth it when you get there, stay safe :icon_thumleft:

To be honest, I won't hold out so much for the telesto covered.....with a great wrap, this can get rectified easily! The main reason for the 05, to be honest, is I am a boost junky, well be moving to North Carolina from Louisville, KY, and I can send it to UGR for about the price of a 07-08....I love the look of the rear tail lights and exhaust of the +09, but they are a bit out of my range right now. Luckily, I have nothing but time....hopefully by next Christmas, I'll see more 04/05s below the $100k mark. If not, not too concerned, I'll go wait for the one I want!

Go as new as you can afford, as close to '08 as possible. I'm assuming you aren't making the jump to the 560's because of budgetary reasons?

Where do you see the op talking about a 560 lol? Ferrari 360 is what I read and it is not in the same league as a Gallardo :icon_mrgreen:

The more research I do, the more it seems this is the case!

I could probably afford a +09....but I'd rather buy a 05 and send it to UGR

Also, does the rear spoiler pop up at certain speeds to help with downforce? I think I saw in a video one doing it, but it also looked like something aftermarket?

Another thing I've seen are two buttons below the heated seat button....most of the time, they are blank. However, I've also see one of them with a pic on it....don't know what option it is. So, what is that option, and is there one for the other button oppposite of it? I hate blank buttons!

Also, does the rear spoiler pop up at certain speeds to help with downforce? I think I saw in a video one doing it, but it also looked like something aftermarket?

Get an aftermarket SL wing

By then the Gallardo replacement should be announced and released. The release should drop prices.

last gallardo just rolled off the production line. Price should start to drop now i think.

By then the Gallardo replacement should be announced and released. The release should drop prices.

We'll see, but I doubt the new car will have much effect on the gallardo prices.

We'll see, but I doubt the new car will have much effect on the gallardo prices.

Strictly speaking locally, based on what I was told by the dealer, here the new car will be priced more aggressively, not sure if same strategy is implemented over there, they are going after the 12C.

McLaren few months back due to very poor sales had a $100k price reduction, if I can believe the dealer the Gallardo replacement will be priced a touch cheaper than the base 12c which will make it slightly cheaper or on par with the MY13 560 if that's the case it will take a fair chunk out of the newer base cars MY12 - MY13.

Older cars, I agree, they are a lot more sheltered, most customers don't up their budged 100% or more when shopping, newer cars will take a beating IMO by how much that's left to be seen, I guess it will depend on how well the new car is received by the market when it comes out and how many of the current MY12 and MY13 owners will want to upgrade.

Well, I guess we'll see how fortunate I'll be next September/October when I look to purchase my first G.

Can anyone answer my specific questions about the button/rear spoiler?

Welcome to LP, you've found the best Lamborghini forum on the net, good luck with your search, I know the wait can be agonizing but it's all worth it when you get there, stay safe :icon_thumleft:

Cosign. Welcome and Good Luck with your search! In my opinion the Gallardo is the greatest supercar of all time!

Well, I guess we'll see how fortunate I'll be next September/October when I look to purchase my first G.

Can anyone answer my specific questions about the button/rear spoiler?

Yes the rear spoiler pops up at speed, I believe it's 70 or 80MPH

I'm definitely enjoying the search so far. I have nothing but time, and I know what options I want and what options are desired, but not mandatory. The bottom line is I'm going to be in a Gallardo by mid/end of 2014!

Congrats! Best of luck on your search! I too am a BMW guy getting ready to take the Lambo dive into the dark side :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for your service to the is country! :icon_super: Stay safe

I just sold my Z4M coupe....now I either have to sell my 97 M3 (545rwhp/tq) or my newly restored '91 325i (259rwhp/280rwtq).....plan to finance the other half of this. Haven't had a car payment in years, but I look forward to it!

I just sold my Z4M coupe....now I either have to sell my 97 M3 (545rwhp/tq) or my newly restored '91 325i (259rwhp/280rwtq).....plan to finance the other half of this. Haven't had a car payment in years, but I look forward to it!

Keep the M3 :icon_thumleft: I have a 2001 M3 and I LOVE it. I'll be adding an M4 into the mix in a few years as well :eusa_dance:

Well, it is either a Gallardo or the new M3/M4....I like the idea of a 4 year warranty...not going to lie! But, owning a Gallardo would kind of trump all and appeals to my Italian ancestry

Well, it is either a Gallardo or the new M3/M4....I like the idea of a 4 year warranty...not going to lie! But, owning a Gallardo would kind of trump all and appeals to my Italian ancestry

Go big :icon_thumleft: If all goes as planned I'll have to choose between M3, M4, and LP700 on daily basis :D

Let me ask y'all something....I was trying to get an insurance quote through USAA and the quote they gave me was pretty respectable.....I'm 35, own my home, clean record, etc.....and I got a quote of about $900/6 months with a $1k deductible.

Now, the insurance agent said something for me to think about.....you don't want to get the lowest amount of coverage, even though it would be cheaper, because if I hurt someone and they see I was in a Lamborghini, that they would possibly try and milk me for all I'm worth.....

Is that just a reality or should I not look to into it? I think the lowest amount of coverage possible for full coverage, it was closer to $800/6 months and 5k miles/year.....

Thoughts? I might look at other agencies, but I love USAA and if possible, insure all my cars/houses through them. But if not, I can always just insure the Gallardo separately